Handicaps

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is .1 the most your handicap can rise by in a comp ?

Only asking as was wondering if as you get older , struggle to hit as far, regularly enter the senior comps but for example score 18,24,14 is there anything or any way that your handicap can go up more than .1 to enable your handicap to be correct .

Cheers

Midnight..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is .1 the most your handicap can rise by in a comp ?

Only asking as was wondering if as you get older , struggle to hit as far, regularly enter the senior comps but for example score 18,24,14 is there anything or any way that your handicap can go up more than .1 to enable your handicap to be correct .

Cheers

Midnight..

yes 0.1 per comp, can obviously go up more in Annual Review, have also known handicap committees to adjust handicaps upwards after injury/illness etc too

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Anytime that a handicap committee consider you have the wrong handicap they may adjust it.
2. At the annual review there are a number of calculations that lead to recommendations that the committee may, or may not, act on.
3. If you fail to play to buffer for 7 consecutive comps in a calendar year the system will flag it and recommend an additional increase.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We allow requested handicap reviews but you have to give a good reason as we will already be aware of your scores.

As Duncan says 7 0.1 increases in a row should invoke an automatic review but it depends on your club running the Continuous Review Report, the club should be running this at last once a quarter. We run ours monthly starting in the second quarter.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We allow requested handicap reviews but you have to give a good reason as we will already be aware of your scores.

As Duncan says 7 0.1 increases in a row should invoke an automatic review but it depends on your club running the Continuous Review Report, the club should be running this at last once a quarter. We run ours monthly starting in the second quarter.

Sorry to sound thick , but who would run the continuous review report and what does it mean/do please.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry to sound thick , but who would run the continuous review report and what does it mean/do please.
I believe after 7 0.1 increases in a row the handicap system should flag you up on a report.
The report will be run off the system by the handicap committee who can then review that person and decide if that person requires an increase to their handicap, (I’m not sure if there is a maximum they can increase it by)
Ours is run monthly and the results/changes if required are published on the handicaps notice board.
The more knowledgeable should be along soon to give you the definite explanation.

Robin Hood

Visit site

In my first season playing I enthusiastically played in lots of qualifiers and did fall outside the buffer zone in 7 consecutive matches. My handicap went up by 2
I was disappointed, however it's only a game, and it makes you more focused.
It's come down since.
Play and enjoy 😀

D

Deleted member 23344

Based upon a couple of unusually good (for me) rounds, I was given a first handicap of 20. After three poor competitions, I was at 20.3 and had a word with the HS, who knocked me back to 22.3. After the annual review, they put me back to 24.3. Having scored 37 points recently, I think I am now at about the right level ... and it was all done in a relatively short space of time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Your club should have a handicap committee (CONGU requirement)

Then as per Pauldj42 except that if there is any handicap adjustment it should not just be posted on a board, the club is required to notify the individuals affected personally.

It is just a requirement for a review and does not necessarily mean an increase. There is a flow chart that has to be followed and if a player has shot to his buffer or better during the year he is deferred until the annual review.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Affiliated Club must
6.3 Appoint a Handicap Committee comprised of a minimum of three persons, the majority of whom must be Members.

My County have just started on a planned audit of clubs, checking handicap committee structure and procedures etc. It is ostensibly random but really aimed at clubs where we feel there are or may be issues.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Based upon a couple of unusually good (for me) rounds, I was given a first handicap of 20. After three poor competitions, I was at 20.3 and had a word with the HS, who knocked me back to 22.3. After the annual review, they put me back to 24.3. Having scored 37 points recently, I think I am now at about the right level ... and it was all done in a relatively short space of time.

As has been pointed out in other posts, your club should have a Handicap Committee and such decisions should not be taken by one person. The Handicap Committee has a responsibility to monitor newly allocated handicaps. I would not, however, think that increasing any newly allocated handicap by 2 strokes is a measured response after only three competitive rounds.

D

Deleted member 23344

Of course it has a HC. I had a word with the HS who, after referring it to the HC, communicated the decision to me. My bad ... I truncated the process for the sake of brevity ... I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition. Even so, I’m surprised that you feel able to comment on the HC’s decision on the handicap change without knowing my scores in any of the three competitions.

Last edited by a moderator:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course it has a HC. I had a word with the HS who, after referring it to the HC, communicated the decision to me. My bad ... I truncated the process for the sake of brevity ... I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition. Even so, I’m surprised that you feel able to comment on the HC’s decision on the handicap change without knowing my scores in any of the three competitions.

I feel able to comment despite not knowing the exact scores for the three comps. Your 3 cards for initial handicap give a reasonable estimate of your playing ability. I would not expect that reasonable estimate to be completely discounted after only 3 competitions using that handicap.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Affiliated Club must
6.3 Appoint a Handicap Committee comprised of a minimum of three persons, the majority of whom must be Members.

My County have just started on a planned audit of clubs, checking handicap committee structure and procedures etc. It is ostensibly random but really aimed at clubs where we feel there are or may be issues.

Tell them to start at the older and more traditional clubs, these is were most problems occur down here.

D

Deleted member 23344

I feel able to comment despite not knowing the exact scores for the three comps. Your 3 cards for initial handicap give a reasonable estimate of your playing ability. I would not expect that reasonable estimate to be completely discounted after only 3 competitions using that handicap.

Completely discounted? I don’t see that a change from 20 to 22 following three further cards where I wasn’t remotely close to my (then) handicap (one was just 9 points), and to 24 after the annual review, shows that the original cards were “completely discounted”. Only four shots on a high handicapper. Anyway, let’s agree to differ to avoid any further to-ing and fro-ing.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally think the algorithm used on the HC software is somewhat vicious when assessing a handicap after three cards are submitted. I usually keep an eye on newbies scores ready to discuss with the HC committee if the player is struggling.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Then as per Pauldj42 except that if there is any handicap adjustment it should not just be posted on a board, the club is required to notify the individuals affected personally.

It is just a requirement for a review and does not necessarily mean an increase. There is a flow chart that has to be followed and if a player has shot to his buffer or better during the year he is deferred until the annual review.
Just a question ,
I had a injury last feb and had 20x.1 last year only made buffer once in there.
My hcap did go up by the correct amount but I had no word from hcap committee at all .
Is this a rule or do they have discretion over increases or not.
Hope that makes sense.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a question ,
I had a injury last feb and had 20x.1 last year only made buffer once in there.
My hcap did go up by the correct amount but I had no word from hcap committee at all .
Is this a rule or do they have discretion over increases or not.
Hope that makes sense.

No discretion over the .1 which wouldn't result in a notification thank goodness. We'd be emailing people all the time. Our system like most, with the members permission, will automatically email any changes to handicap.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No discretion over the .1 which wouldn't result in a notification thank goodness. We'd be emailing people all the time. Our system like most, with the members permission, will automatically email any changes to handicap.
Sorry my main point is I had 16 consecutive .1s without any word from hcap is that the norm.