Handicap not on card - so what?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do I know better?
Yes, I believe I do.
I've put it on here before, we input our own score online either as we go or at the end of the round. Our verification that the score is correct is our signature.
This is further verified by a playing partner completing our card, which they sign. Once the player is happy, the marker uploads a photo.

Whilst many of us would correctly complete our own card, to suggest that a hundred plus players in every comp at every club would all do so is lunacy in my view.

I'm afraid you've lost me again.

You said "This stuff trying to justify players marking and submitting their own cards is crazy" and you then go on to describe how you input your own score as you go round. If you are inputting your score online as your round progresses, is that not marking or completing your own card?

Please be kind to someone of my years.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We submit our own scores online, in lieu of via the clubhouse terminal. Part of that process is the declaration that the scores are correct (player's electronic signature).

The physical card is completed, signed and submitted (in photo form) by the marker.

For those who cannot do the online stuff, they may submit the actual card, completed and signed by the marker, in the box. Clearly as the player it's in your interest to check it over before it's submitted.

You've still lost me. I think I'll sleep on it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maninblack4612 with red face, :mad:. :ROFLMAO:, sorry Bill :p
ATM we mark and sign our own cards and enter scores using the PSI or HDID app, score cards are put in the appropriate box and are kept for at least 72 hours before being handled.
In my 3 ball we also write our markers score in the markers column, though not required or asked for (y)

D

Deleted member 25575

And people wonder why golf is declining in popularity / seems elitist or stuck in the past.
Rules like this do nothing to entice people to take up golf, they not only damage the spirit of the competition but put a stain on the game as a whole

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
At a slight tangent ..

Several posts have indicated that players marking their own score on their card is recommended by the R&A. Is that correct? I thought that players marking their own card is allowed by the R&A. Or have I missed something somewhere?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
And people wonder why golf is declining in popularity / seems elitist or stuck in the past.
Rules like this do nothing to entice people to take up golf, they not only damage the spirit of the competition but put a stain on the game as a whole

I can't but think that's rather jumping to a misplaced conclusion? Why is "following the rules" elitist?

Whether the rules are daft or fit for purpose is rather a different argument.

D

Deleted member 25575

So you think that "golf is declining" because someone got mistakenly DQ'd in some small club comp somewhere?

Elitist?
Stain on the game?

Lovely clichés ?
No, I don't think golf is declining because someone DQ'd in a club comp. I think golf is declining because it's not forward thinking, this is illustrative of that.

Elitist? It very much is!
Stain on the game? Fair point, that's a cliche

D

Deleted member 25575

I can't but think that's rather jumping to a misplaced conclusion? Why is "following the rules" elitist?

Whether the rules are daft or fit for purpose is rather a different argument.
Following the rules isnt elitist, but golf in general is viewed as being so

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Maninblack4612 with red face, :mad:. :ROFLMAO:, sorry Bill :p
ATM we mark and sign our own cards and enter scores using the PSI or HDID app, score cards are put in the appropriate box and are kept for at least 72 hours before being handled.
In my 3 ball we also write our markers score in the markers column, though not required or asked for (y)
We did a trial submitting our cards electronically but, for reasons I don't understand, this didn't work too well.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many times did they try it out of interest?

Our routine was very clearly explained on the website but lots of people just don't bother reading stuff, and despite players being advised to set it up before we teed off we still had about a 30 minute kerfuffle at the end of the first comp round.
After a couple of comps all the stubborn old gits have realised how simple it is, it's all done and dusted a couple of minutes after finishing now.
Which system do you use?
We use GolfGenius for county comps. Tied in to HandicapMaster and some software of our own. Brilliant.

D

Deleted member 1147

Rather than just marking our own card on Sunday we used the app, whereby you marked your score and a playing partners.
At the end you compared the 2 scores entered and signed, your phone screen. Just like you would with a card.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would repeat the R&A allow all clubs to devise a system which suits them and there is no one fits all system these days.

We tried the other way round first i.e. marker, to fill in players card photo etc and it created more problems than we have with with player marks their own card etc. This method gets rid of one process -a photo, errors were - no photo, sometimes out of focus, only part readable due to be being photoed at an angle, players with the shakes. However the overwhelming reason was it was a more time consuming process for the committee member processing the scores.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interestingly yesterday we had a 19 handicapper submitted their scores electronically yesterday who shot a gross 1 under par.

We ask players, who can, to submit via their scores via the app and only about a third of the field do it.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It seems pretty easy to me..

I keep a card, I'll enter my score on it, and someone I'm playing with too. I'll write my name and HD on the top

I'll confirm with someone how many points I got and they got then enter my score on the hdid app.

I'll take a photo or keep the card incase it's needed in future. But that's it, not exactly hard. Don't have to hand a physical card in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem solved. Introduced today.

Problem solved until November 2nd only.

It also does not solve the problem of somebody who has played in a comp or submitted a supplementary score where they have played to better than their handicap v SSS and the cards have not been processed.

davemc71

www.balfrongolfsociety.org.uk
The original post says handicap was written at the bottom where scores are tallied up. I’ve done match and handicap at my club and we would not DQ anyone as long as handicap is somewhere on the card. Not sure why handicap needs to be on the card anyway it has no effect as all scores are entered and the computer deals with scoring. Throwback to the days when scores wee adjusted manually by M and H Secretary. No need for it now.