Handicap not on card - so what?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Played in a comp yesterday

I followed the rules to the letter ... inputted score into the computer and signed my playing partners scorecard that I was keeping track of and posted in the box as requested

Results been posted ... DQ card not returned

Scored pap tbf so not bothered but it’s a bit shan that I followed the rules as expected and get a DQ for someone else’s mistake

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in a comp yesterday

I followed the rules to the letter ... inputted score into the computer and signed my playing partners scorecard that I was keeping track of and posted in the box as requested

Results been posted ... DQ card not returned

Scored pap tbf so not bothered but it’s a bit shan that I followed the rules as expected and get a DQ for someone else’s mistake
Which is why clubs should be following R&A guidance on completing scorecards at this time i.e. they should be completed and signed by the player only and not the marker.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Saw something similar a few weeks back.

Handicap was not next to players name but was on the card were you deduct it from the gross score.

I checked with the Lancashire Union and they said it was legit.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That does seem brutal by the committee member who made that decision. Especially with the current system of not handling your own card.

At any club I've played at ,cards have been filled out with these details when checking in at the pro shop. Only time it wouldn't have been is on an optional medal where you'd generally fill out those details, then hand to your playing partner.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unbelievable. It should be up to home club to decide the correct handicap in a club comp.
Clubs don't decide handicaps, the handicap system determines them.
But why shouldn't a player be responsible for knowing his own handicap? How is a club representative expected to know the handicaps of 500+ players?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw something similar a few weeks back.

Handicap was not next to players name but was on the card were you deduct it from the gross score.

I checked with the Lancashire Union and they said it was legit.
I'm glad they have read the rule book ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That does seem brutal by the committee member who made that decision. Especially with the current system of not handling your own card.

At any club I've played at ,cards have been filled out with these details when checking in at the pro shop. Only time it wouldn't have been is on an optional medal where you'd generally fill out those details, then hand to your playing partner.

You obviously mean pre covid. Previously One thing I do is to confirm the club has the correct handicap on.

P.S. R&A suggestion was the only the player should handle the card not the other way round. It is the way we have set up comps i.e the marker does handle the card but their name must on the card, scores are agreed verbally and the marker must have the players score in markers column on their card for verification, if needed.

I prefer the R&A way as it makes a player totally responsible for any errors on the card and not the marker.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clubs don't decide handicaps, the handicap system determines them.
But why shouldn't a player be responsible for knowing his own handicap? How is a club representative expected to know the handicaps of 500+ players?

Because when they put their scores in the system tells them (CDH?).

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You obviously mean pre covid. Previously One thing I do is to confirm the club has the correct handicap on.

P.S. R&A suggestion was the only the player should handle the card not the other way round. It is the way we have set up comps i.e the marker does handle the card but their name must on the card, scores are agreed verbally and the marker must have the players score in markers column on their card for verification, if needed.

I prefer the R&A way as it makes a player totally responsible for any errors on the card and not the marker.

Player has always been responsible for their own score.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In the good old days pre-covid we were another that printed the name, handicap, start time, tee used and attached it to the card. I still feel the guy has been hard done by and nothing worse than seeing DQ against your name (as I know from experience). Even if I'd played badly I'd rather have a score recorded

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Player has always been responsible for their own score.

Ken

I hope you realise we are discussing current (covid) methods of recording scores on the card.

Some clubs have adopted - the marker is responsible for recording everything on a players card and the player does not touch the card, hence the OPs problems and post #25 problems.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Irrelevant.

It's still up to the player to check what is written on his own card.
And let's be realistic, if a player said his card had been submitted and he hadn't checked it, I'd just think he's an idiot.

Not an idiot, just someone who didn't give a toss because he knew his score wouldn't win anything. The other member of our 3 ball came second & he checked his card in great detail.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have referred our manager, who processed the cards, to this thread. Makes no difference, the player wasn't in contention & got his +.1 anyway.
Depends how he processed the card. If he didn't enter it due to the "missing" information it wouldn't go onto his playing record and potentially be used for his WHS calculation.

Also one reason for the player to confirm their handicap is to ensure they are playing off the correct one. A round played the previous day (or days currently) may not have had time to have updated the computer record so the player should self adjust.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I'm just talking in general.
This stuff trying to justify players marking and submitting their own cards is crazy.

Not sure what you mean. Players marking and submitting their own scores is what is recommended in the current situation. Do you know better? The additional requirement is for a named verifier and for the card to be submitted at a later date to be available for checking for correct submission. Using that recommended process, the player is fully responsible for what goes on the card and what is submitted.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just stating the facts.
If you cared about your score it would be idiotic to allow your card to be submitted without checking it, or raising the issue if it was submitted without your permission.

One day you may make a mistake on your card, I would say to myself "that's a shame making a simple mistake." I would not be on here calling you an idiot.

It's just a game after all.