Handicap ... What we writing on the card ??

nyckuk

Visit site
Next Saturday will be our first comp Individual stroke play , so 95% allowance
I havent seen the new score card ( knowing our club we will still be using the ones from a couple of years ago )
Do we know what we are writing down on the card
ie: Handicap Index + Course Handicap + Playing Handicap or just HI + PH or some other combination ???
Also the 95% is of your CH not 95% of your HI

thanks

Handicap allowances under WHS

Individual stroke play, Stableford, par/bogey, maximum score: 95%
Fourball stroke play: 85%
Fourball Stableford: 85%
Fourball par/bogey: 90%
Individual match play: 100%
Fourball match play: 90%

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don’t have a club that prints labels on the cards for you before a comp, then I would probably lay it out as follows:

In the players name box, write your name with your index in brackets eg. Joe Bloggs (2.8)

Usually there are then two boxes after for handicap, and one for strokes received. In the handicap box, write your course handicap, and strokes received box enter your playing handicap.

It may end up looking something like:
Joe Bloggs (2.8) 3 3

I imagine you could get guidance from the club too
EDIT:
Congu guidance says just write course handicap to avoid DQ...but recommend having the ability to have space for playing handicap and handicap indexC80B71F2-66DD-4580-870A-3107A49F004F.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Wabinez the current recommendation is that their should be 3 boxes for handicap to avoid confusion.

Handicap index
Course Handicap
Playing Handicap

We had to produce cards before the WHS came in and sadly our 18 hole cards only have 2 but our 9 hole cards (printed more recently) have 3.

With our two box cards we request Course Handicap in the handicap box and playing handicap in the Strokes allowed box. Players can write their HI after their name.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also the 95% is of your CH not 95% of your HI

thanks

Handicap allowances under WHS

Individual stroke play, Stableford, par/bogey, maximum score: 95%
Fourball stroke play: 85%
Fourball Stableford: 85%
Fourball par/bogey: 90%
Individual match play: 100%
Fourball match play: 90%

The Playing Handicap is a percentage of Course Handicaps.

Match play - strokes allowed is the difference between Playing Handicaps and not Course Handicaps

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For individual comps I believe we are being told to write in our course handicap and let then system work out our playing handicap for the competition and eventual score.

greenone

Visit site
Personally I'm not writing anything on the card other than scores of the group seeing as the card is going straight in the bin when the scores have been put on to HDID.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I'm not writing anything on the card other than scores of the group seeing as the card is going straight in the bin when the scores have been put on to HDID.

If I understand your post, you are going to record the scores of all players in your group on one scorecard, enter those into HDID and then bin the card.

There might possibly be a comment on this if you are serious.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Then if things are done properly you would be DQ’d along with all on the card.

Simple, you just have to put your course handicap on. As most cards that may be in use have a min of two boxes in HC put course HC and if your keen, in the strokes received put playing HC. No difference than what happened before.

greenone

Visit site
If I understand your post, you are going to record the scores of all players in your group on one scorecard, enter those into HDID and then bin the card.

There might possibly be a comment on this if you are serious.
No each player has a card to mark. I always put the scores of whole group on my card ( done this since I was a junior when I played with some who I thought was being creative with his scores who then 'won' the competition by one shot but as I wasn't marking his score I couldnt be sure). After the round is finished the scores are confirmed verbally and then scores are entered on HDID. After that the cards are finished with as the clubhouse is closed so unable to put cards in the box.

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends if the committee have sanctioned electronic entry which we have, but, we still insist on a score card to be returned for verification and if there are any query’s.

No physical scorecards being returned at our club and hasn't been since Covid 19 started, electronic score submission only.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No physical scorecards being returned at our club and hasn't been since Covid 19 started, electronic score submission only.
We were asked to return comp score cards with a markers signature, cards were left for 72 hours before being checked and results being posted.
When you log in and enter a club comp all your details will be on the screen as they're already in the system.
Surely then, it should only require you to put your name and gross scores on the card. :confused:

nyckuk

Visit site
Looks like we are all doing it differently club by club
Ill probally do as suggested at the top of the page .... Name with HI , Handicap box = CH , Strokes Rec'd = PH

We are doing the same as last year , one card marked for the whole group , posted in the clubroom hatch and no score entry on the touch screen PC... Which makes sense to me , No transmission of Covid with us all touching the same PC and the score cards left for a few days before they are checked and entered on the system ..

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hopefully the scores will have been entered independently of the checking. Leaving the entry for a few days defeats one of the fundamentals of WHS - PCC. It is the same as some players cards being ignored for CSS calculations.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have electronic score entry via the PSI screens or via the app but still require the cards to be returned for verification.

I have not seen any change to the requirement from CONGU for cards to kept for (I think ) one year.

Our PSI screens have all the necessary sanitising products next to them plus sanitisers outside or just inside every entry door.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No each player has a card to mark. I always put the scores of whole group on my card ( done this since I was a junior when I played with some who I thought was being creative with his scores who then 'won' the competition by one shot but as I wasn't marking his score I couldnt be sure). After the round is finished the scores are confirmed verbally and then scores are entered on HDID. After that the cards are finished with as the clubhouse is closed so unable to put cards in the box.

Our place seem to have this about right. We mark our own cards, and also record one playing partner’s score in the “marker” column. At the end of the round we sign our own card, make a note in the “marker’s signature” space of who marked our score, and submit an image to our competition chair via email or WhatsApp. We also enter our score in HDID.

The competition is then closed after reference to the cards first and foremost. HDID just makes the process quicker. Our competition chair still wants to see that we have signed for the correct score, entered the correct handicap and so on. He can also cross reference our card with that of a marker to clear up any ambiguity. Not a lot different to normal really.

Not returning any card is wide open to abuse and, given the fact we all have access to some means of online communication these days, I’m surprised any club allow it.

EDIT: And to answer the original question, under WHS guidelines our club has said course handicap MUST be entered on cards. Failure to do that results in DQ. H.I and playing handicap are optional.

Last edited: