How many signatures are required on a texas scramble (4 players) score card.

Mickh12

Visit site
My team was recently DQ'd from a scramble for having only one signature on the card. The rules of golf specify that player and marker must sign in a medal or stableford format but in a scramble there is no marker so who signs? Generally two of the four players sign, but is it against the rules for only one to sign? I think the answer is that the committee should specify the rule. Thoughts please.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the answer is that the committee should specify the rule. Thoughts please.
I think you are correct, to the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the Rules Of Golf that specifically relate to Texas Scrambles, hence the need for committees to specify things like no of tee shots per player, placing or dropping of the chosen ball, etc

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My team was recently DQ'd from a scramble for having only one signature on the card. The rules of golf specify that player and marker must sign in a medal or stableford format but in a scramble there is no marker so who signs? Generally two of the four players sign, but is it against the rules for only one to sign? I think the answer is that the committee should specify the rule. Thoughts please.
Ask those running the competition for a copy of the rules. If they didnt have one published in the competition rules, then they are unfair to disqualify you.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's a little different as it's one team and doesn't count for handicap.

We always ask for 2 signatures and publicise it in the competition conditions so hopefully everyone is aware.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the answer is that the committee should specify the rule. Thoughts please.
I would go with that.

A few years ago 3 of our players were DQd in an Open for the same reason. It was taken up to the R&A and the club involved were informed by the R&A that the DQ was incorrect.

LizAig

Visit site
Check the Terms Of Competition - if it’s not mentioned in there then complain! We always get two people to sign …..I’m off to check our T of Cs now!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As is indicated by several, the Terms of the Competition should be clear. I think the best way to do that is to state that the Scramble is played according to the Rules of Golf with the following exceptions: [list of exceptions]. That way, everything is covered: if it's not one of the stated exceptions you apply the appropriate Rule. In this instance, unless the Terms say in the exceptions that a score must be certified by more than one player, Rule 3.3b would apply and one certification would suffice.

Just as side information on the matter of certifying scores, there is now a Local Rule available which modifies the penalty in Rule 3.3b(2) for a failure to certify your score and/or failure to have it certified by your marker from DQ to two penalty strokes [MLR L-1]. I think everyone should use it for club golf. A DQ is too harsh a penalty for what is usually a matter of forgetfulness from which the player gains no advantage.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I play any team events we usually get 2 signatures on the card. I have never seen anything specifically asking for that

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I play any team events we usually get 2 signatures on the card. I have never seen anything specifically asking for that
You shouldn't see that as 22.2 states that only one player need certify the side's score in foursomes and 23.2b(2) states the same for four ball.

Mickh12

Visit site
You shouldn't see that as 22.2 states that only one player need certify the side's score in foursomes and 23.2b(2) states the same for four ball.
That's correct, but in those formats you still have a marker to verify the score. In a scramble it's a four player event with no marker.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Louise was referring to not having seen anything requiring two people to certify the side's score in other 'team'. I simply remarked that this was because the applicable Rule for four ball and foursomes specifies a requirement for only one certification. Nothing to do with scrambles where by the nature of the format you cannot, as you allude, get independent verification of any score. The Committee decides if it wants one two, three or four to verify the side's score but I doubt if it matters a bit which they choose. If one player verifies a false score, the other three are in it anyway and as usual we have to rely on player integrity.

I increasingly think that scrambles have become far too serious, often with valuable prizes on the go and would far prefer them to be clearly fun competitions. They are, after all predicated on what in normal play would be an egregious cheat.
Four mulligans for every shot, for goodness' sake. 🤣

Mickh12

Visit site
We’re you in the prizes? And who took your place once DQd?
We were not in the prizes and if i'd have marked the card i would have asked another member of our foursome to sign the card. For me though that wasn't the point. That point been; if two signatures was not specified within the competition rules we were DQ'd for a rule that doesn't exist. The explanation I was given was: "We always expect two signatures on a card, that's in the rules of golf."

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were not in the prizes and if i'd have marked the card i would have asked another member of our foursome to sign the card. For me though that wasn't the point. That point been; if two signatures was not specified within the competition rules we were DQ'd for a rule that doesn't exist. The explanation I was given was: "We always expect two signatures on a card, that's in the rules of golf."
That, as has been said already, is plain wrong and if you wanted to be bolshie about it you could request a reference number for the supposed rule.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The competition committee is always right though, so they always have that on their side as a get out of jail free card whenever anyone picks them up on something.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Have to admit, I'd always expect to see marker and "attester" on any comp card...

If its a big deal then you can probably argue a technicality, but for me thats all it is. A dq from mid table of a fun, non qualifying comp is hardly worth pushing the volunteer committee over the edge for...