Texas scramble 4 ball

Meerkat1970

Visit site
Hi , in a mixed Texas scramble where women are allowed to play what are the rules.
At our club, both women and men play off the men’s tees (yellow) , we play to the ladies card ( red index’s) and then should you have any women in your team they receive courtesy shots . Is this correct ????

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No player, man or woman, receives "courtesy shots" in any format. A player might in a mixed tee competition receive a mixed tee allowance to add to their course handicap according the tees being played from. Each side in a Scramble gets a single playing handicap comprising the aggregate of percentages of the playing handicaps of each partner. It's regular stroke play which is deducted from the side's gross score. Stroke index is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At our club the ladies play off the Red tees, otherwise a team playing with woman is at a disadvantage with the minimum 4 tee shots rule.
Also I thought Texas scramble does not have official rules apart from the handicap calculation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Colin

Stroke indexes are irrelevant as Texas Scramble should be played to gross score minus team handicap allowance.

I assume your course is rated for both sexes off the yellows. If yes you look at the course rating for each sex the sex with the lower course rating gets shots added to their handicap accordingly before the team handicap is worked out. This may mean the men get added shots rather than the ladies.

These shots are known as course adjustment shots not courtesy shots.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fussy, we're talking about sides not teams.

Once a pedant, always pedantic. 🙄
At our club the ladies play off the Red tees, otherwise a team playing with woman is at a disadvantage with the minimum 4 tee shots rule.
Also I thought Texas scramble does not have official rules apart from the handicap calculation.
This is a misunderstanding. Players whether male or female could play off whichever tee they chose and would get the course handicap for the course of their choice. They would play off the appropriate tee with no advantage or disadvantage to anyone.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be fussy, we're talking about sides not teams.

Once a pedant, always pedantic. 🙄

This is a misunderstanding. Players whether male or female could play off whichever tee they chose and would get the course handicap for the course of their choice. They would play off the appropriate tee with no advantage or disadvantage to anyone.
the red tees at our course are rated for women only, the yellow, white and blue tees are only rated for men.
I’m not saying that our club were right in their decision to get our tees rated in that way, but I’m sure we are not alone.
I don’t believe there are many clubs that have mixed tee competitions, except for mixed gender comps.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
the red tees at our course are rated for women only, the yellow, white and blue tees are only rated for men.
I’m not saying that our club were right in their decision to get our tees rated in that way, but I’m sure we are not alone.
I don’t believe there are many clubs that have mixed tee competitions, except for mixed gender comps.
That doesn't change the situation: it just limits the choice and gives you the added drawback of not being able to have men and women play off the same tees or getting into the sort of muddle you described.

I see this is your first post in this forum. Welcome - and please don't be put off by a blunt response - I don't suppose you're responsible for the muddle.

Last edited:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That doesn't change the situation: it just limits the choice and gives you the added drawback of not being able to have men and women play off the same tees or getting into the sort of muddle you described.

I see this is your first post in this forum. Welcome - and please don't be put off by a blunt response - I don't suppose you're responsible for the muddle.
I’m not the OP

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Hi , in a mixed Texas scramble where women are allowed to play what are the rules.
At our club, both women and men play off the men’s tees (yellow) , we play to the ladies card ( red index’s) and then should you have any women in your team they receive courtesy shots . Is this correct ????
Scrambles are gross, the indexes are irrelevant, handicap adjustment is all that matters to blance up the difference in tees/par

LizAig

Visit site
As others have said it’s not Stableford so SI doesn’t matter. As long as yellow tees are rated for women then no issue. No such thing as ‘courtesy shots’! If men or women receive shots because of differences in pars it’s to make the game equal. If a course is par 68 for men and oar 70 for ladies but both players play to par is it right for the man to win with his 68….the answer is no! They both played to par so in this instance the lady would get two shots so if both play to par they both would score 68.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
As others have said it’s not Stableford so SI doesn’t matter. As long as yellow tees are rated for women then no issue. No such thing as ‘courtesy shots’! If men or women receive shots because of differences in pars it’s to make the game equal. If a course is par 68 for men and oar 70 for ladies but both players play to par is it right for the man to win with his 68….the answer is no! They both played to par so in this instance the lady would get two shots so if both play to par they both would score 68.
I think it is CR rather than Par.