EG Webinar on New Handicap Rules in 2024

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As part of their union affiliation, clubs are obliged to fulfil their responsibilities under the rules of handicapping; this includes forming a handicap committee of at least 3 people.
I know.
But what happens when they can’t oblige.?

My mate at another club said “ two of the comittiee packed in to spend some time with their family”

Handicap comittiees work load won’t go up is just head in the sand stuff.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know.
But what happens when they can’t oblige.?

My mate at another club said “ two of the comittiee packed in to spend some time with their family”

Handicap comittiees work load won’t go up is just head in the sand stuff.
Does a club with 400+ members and can't find volunteers deserve to be called a 'functioning' golf club?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does a club with 400+ members and can't find volunteers deserve to be called a 'functioning' golf club?
I’d say when the ruling bodies change the whole system for a much more complicated one. ?.???

I have heard many clubs here have had trouble keeping the Handicap Comittiee.

I think clubs might have to pay a full time / part time body to deal with it.

My club has 5 comps a week in summer, plus god knows how many GP cards.!

asking volunteers to deal with this is asking a lot imho!

Swango1980

Visit site
Whether you think it is functioning or not, it is affiliated and members have handicaps.

The club I left 2 years ago had ONE person who is Handicap Secretary, Competition Secretary and Treasurer. There where over 400 members at that club.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they want a handicap and rules they have to cough up. They have to pay for ever increasing staff pay, machinery, insecticide, fertiliser costs etc. If they aren't prepared to do it themselves, pay for it.
It’s the future imo.
People won’t do this amount of work for nothing.!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In the same way that Captains are often given an allowance against their membership fees during their time in office, perhaps Handicap Chairman should be similarly compensated to reflect the workload.

D-S

Visit site
Looks as if EG will be offering £100 as a voucher for preferred suppliers to change tables on boards or other options, will be interesting to see how clubs manage this one.

I wonder whether there should be a sticker on the new boards saying not for use in competitions, you can use this information for social golf only - as certainly at my club all club competition handicap allowances are 'calculated by machine'.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Looks as if EG will be offering £100 as a voucher for preferred suppliers to change tables on boards or other options, will be interesting to see how clubs manage this one.

I wonder whether there should be a sticker on the new boards saying not for use in competitions, you can use this information for social golf only - as certainly at my club all club competition handicap allowances are 'calculated by machine'.
They have never been there for competition play. Nothing is changing in that regard.