Texas scramble rules, anyone use them ?

wjemather

Visit site
Was there this much controversy on these forums regarding scrambles pre WHS? There was certainly some discussion regarding handicaps, but nothing like the complaints we get now. I wonder why?
Complaints mostly seem to come from lower handicappers, so perhaps it's because some of them feel entitled to win disproportionately more frequently than higher handcappers; and maybe that is because that's what used to happen with previous handicap systems and allowances that gave them a significant advantage generally - and even more so in scrambles.

Swango1980

Visit site
Complaints mostly seem to come from lower handicappers, so perhaps it's because some of them feel entitled to win disproportionately more frequently than higher handcappers; and maybe that is because that's what used to happen with previous handicap systems and allowances that gave them a significant advantage generally - and even more so in scrambles.
So, this forum is mostly low handicappers, hence the complaints? There weren't many high handicappers to complain pre WHS?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We use them - been pretty clear on my thoughts that they are shocking allowances and from our perspective they are now the domain of the high handicaps where as before when we used 15 or 20% of the combined the winners were more spread across in regards the handicaps.

If the club use any of the ISVs to administer the comp then they must use the allowances - it’s locked in , but done manually then can use anything.

Congu coming up with some random HC allowances ruined Scrambles

It is not locked in using Handicapmaster. It lists options in the template for scrambles.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think my club uses the recommended 30,20,10% but imposes a max H/C of 8 for a 3-man team.
Basically only effecting players above a 9 H/C :cry:, I tink :D:p

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Last one I played in was 18 months ago. 25/20/15/10% was used and resulting strokes received was printed on the card.
I think course handicaps were +1, 4, 6, 13.
Minimum 4 tee-shots each and one must be a par-3. Puts you under pressure a bit towards the end, but we birdied all last 3 holes.
We played some great stuff and finished 12-under gross. 12 birdies, no dropped shots.
Came nowhere near the prizes.
There was no gross prize - we would have smashed that one.
I'm not keen on these comps.
Greensome strokeplay is quicker and more fun.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is there anywhere in WHS that days the handicaps they calculate for 3 and 4 ball texas scrambles are not compatible for mixed size teams?

We had a 4-ball scramble today. Our team handicap was 8. However, one of the chaps didn't turn up so had to play as 3 ball. As such, the system simply adjusted our handicap, to 7!!!!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there anywhere in WHS that days the handicaps they calculate for 3 and 4 ball texas scrambles are not compatible for mixed size teams?

We had a 4-ball scramble today. Our team handicap was 8. However, one of the chaps didn't turn up so had to play as 3 ball. As such, the system simply adjusted our handicap, to 7!!!!

I had confirmation from the County Handicap Adviser that the "mandatory" WHS scramble allowances for 3-person and 4-person teams were not intended for use in mixed group size comps.

Swango1980

Visit site
I had confirmation from the County Handicap Adviser that the "mandatory" WHS scramble allowances for 3-person and 4-person teams were not intended for use in mixed group size comps.
I just wondered if it was officially written anywhere, or it is just expected clubs would work it out eventually?

Looks like Club V1 had no issues in mixing the teams. 22 teams in tournament, 2 of those teams only had 3 players. They finished 21st and 22nd, several shots behind the team finishing 20th.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any hcp sec who says it is too complicated needs removed!
Must admit the few handicap secs that I know would welcome an offer to remove them. It seems to me a job that is more often done out of a sense of duty rather than for pleasure and attracts precious few volunteers.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must admit the few handicap secs that I know would welcome an offer to remove them. It seems to me a job that is more often done out of a sense of duty rather than for pleasure and attracts precious few volunteers.
We have a team of 6 from a membership of 350...... 60 to 65 on a Summer Sat Comp... not a great workload for the level of 'interest' that we have. No one is 'paid.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played one yesterday at course north of Perth W.A. the formula is no limit on drives......so scores are crazy, we did come second though,
another club near me had one recently, same rules and a plus 6 handicapper had three mates, all over 40 handicap team up, they won by 6 shots with a handicap of 15, there was a lot of grumbling I hear.