Texas Scramble question

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I'm following you correctly, you ran a two person scramble using the CONGU mandated WHS allowances but chose to use decimals as the tie-breaker rather than countback?

If so, I'm not aware of anything in the rules (of golf or handicapping) mandating a specific tie-break procedure, so there is nothing "illegal" in what you have done. Additionally, you aren't going to get super-low scores in a two person scramble.

What do you call a super low score? I’m playing in a two man scramble today and I wouldn’t be surprised if the winning score is maybe not super low but very low.

There is a 3 h/c playing with a 27 h/c and they have a very good chance of winning I’m 17h/c as is my partner and we have zero chance of winning.

It’s supposed to be a fun event but standing on the first tee knowing you have no chance of winning is not my idea of fun.

I know I don’t have to play and I don’t play in many but it’s still better than working.

IanMcC

Visit site
What do you call a super low score? I’m playing in a two man scramble today and I wouldn’t be surprised if the winning score is maybe not super low but very low.

There is a 3 h/c playing with a 27 h/c and they have a very good chance of winning I’m 17h/c as is my partner and we have zero chance of winning.

It’s supposed to be a fun event but standing on the first tee knowing you have no chance of winning is not my idea of fun.

I know I don’t have to play and I don’t play in many but it’s still better than working.
Our winning score was 60.5, 11.5 under par.

wjemather

Visit site

Thinking this gives you less chance. If all players handicaps are anything like reflective of their abilities, then (ignoring other factors, e.g. course knowledge) each pair has an equitable chance of winning, including you.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Just reporting back on our Texas Scramble, using the 'illegal' decimal places. I thought the spread of scores was perfect. We had 72 entries. Winning score was 60.5, which is 11.5 under. Not the stupid scores I have heard lately in 'legal' 4 player scrambles. (One 18 under and one 20 under!)
Only 5 teams were over par, and 58 of the teams had a score in the 60's. If I had not used fractions there would have been multiple complex countbacks. If you feel the need to host a scramble, then 2 player 35/15 % using the decimals to one place is the way ahead.
2 players v 4 players is a massive difference. That's why just 11 under as opposed to the now nearly ubiquitous -22 in 4 man teams

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

there is no guarantee that the 3 handicapper is going to smash it, I played in a county comp on Monday one of the scores was 88-3-85

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thinking this gives you less chance. If all players handicaps are anything like reflective of their abilities, then (ignoring other factors, e.g. course knowledge) each pair has an equitable chance of winning, including you.

That’s not my experience of 2 man Texas scrambles, just finished ours it was only a small field but the the teams of low h/cs. and low mid h/cs finished in the top 4.

When your playing against a team with a 3 h/c in it and their h/c is only 3 less as ours with two 17 h/cs it’s hard to compete.
The mid to high h/cs we’re all at the bottom of the field.

IanMcC

Visit site
The top 4 in ours at the weekend were

1st - 12 & 2
2nd - 12 & 10
3rd - 9 & 5
4th - 1 & 4

Probably below average handicaps for the field, but not overly unusual I feel.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
there is no guarantee that the 3 handicapper is going to smash it, I played in a county comp on Monday one of the scores was 88-3-85

Yes of course anyone irrespective of their h/c can have a bad day but if there’s a few low h/cs in the field they won’t all play badly.

The 3 h/c probably didn’t play as good as he can today but he still had plenty of pars and a few birdies, he was playing with a 24 h/c and not counting the drives he probably played over 90% of their shots and the majority of their puts. They finished 4th.