Texas scramble rules, anyone use them ?

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Hi. Just wondering if any clubs actually use the WHS handicap rules for a Texas scramble ? Ie, 25/20/15/10% and 30/20/20% for three man team. Our club persistently just says 10% of combined which was under the old system as far as remember. So should they use new way or does it not really matter ? If the correct way was used our three man team for this weekend would have four more shots that the 10% method.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played a comp where that was the calculation (25, 20 etc). I found it confusing as hell personally, no way we were going to bother working that out so we just entered the gross score at let the machine figure it out later. I didn't realise that was a mandate of WHS or anything.

wjemather

Visit site
Hi. Just wondering if any clubs actually use the WHS handicap rules for a Texas scramble ? Ie, 25/20/15/10% and 30/20/20% for three man team. Our club persistently just says 10% of combined which was under the old system as far as remember. So should they use new way or does it not really matter ? If the correct way was used our three man team for this weekend would have four more shots that the 10% method.
Yes, it matters. By using 10%, they are skewing their comps in favour of low handicap teams.

Union affiliated clubs agree to abide by CONGU rules and guidance, which includes not diverging from WHS allowances which have been made mandatory.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use it.

There is Rule of Handicapping if you use WHS handicaps then you must use CONGU allowances

Rule GC (appendix C)

The National Associations within CONGU® have determined that allowances set out in the table in Appendix C are mandatory.

However as I am sure and many will agree clubs do not always follow the set rules and like to make up their own.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I queried the WHS handicap rules for Texas Scrambles with the County Handicap Adviser. These rules are not intended for use where there is a mix of 3-man and 4-man teams. A simple example is a 4-man team of all 20 handicaps gives a team handicap of 14 and a 3-man team gets only 12 - makes no sense. Our scrambles are almost always a mixture of 4-man and 3-man so we revert to 10% for 4-man and 6% for 3-man.

Swango1980

Visit site
Our club uses the WHS guidance. We had one on Saturday, as it happens. It was a 4 ball Florida Scramble (whoever shot you take, they do not play the next one). Course definitely played easier as it was temp greens (shorter course), and I think their gross score was 59. Still, not sure how easy it would have been for 4 scratch golfers to beat 22 under par, every scramble I've played in since WHS (probably about 10 or so) have been won by "ridiculously" low scores, from teams with at least one or 2 high handicappers.

I suspect the best way to win is to ensure your team set up has one or 2 "scoring" players (low handicaps), and 2 or 3 higher handicaps who can inflate your handicap. Even better if one or 2 of them hit it a long way, take advantage of that when they hit it straight.

wjemather

Visit site
I queried the WHS handicap rules for Texas Scrambles with the County Handicap Adviser. These rules are not intended for use where there is a mix of 3-man and 4-man teams. A simple example is a 4-man team of all 20 handicaps gives a team handicap of 14 and a 3-man team gets only 12 - makes no sense. Our scrambles are almost always a mixture of 4-man and 3-man so we revert to 10% for 4-man and 6% for 3-man.
We just give the short handed teams 3 or 4 extra strokes (the result of allocating a ghost player with a fixed index) - much simpler.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The rules are not designed for a competition in which there are teams of different sizes.

Are you sure your percentages are right, if so a for mam team would get 8 shots and three man 3.6, how does that make sense.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, not think
The rules are not designed for a competition in which there are teams of different sizes.

Are you sure your percentages are right, if so a for mam team would get 8 shots and three man 3.6, how does that make sense.

Sorry, lost connection with brain - should have read 1/10th and 1/6th.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Our club uses the WHS guidance. We had one on Saturday, as it happens. It was a 4 ball Florida Scramble (whoever shot you take, they do not play the next one). Course definitely played easier as it was temp greens (shorter course), and I think their gross score was 59. Still, not sure how easy it would have been for 4 scratch golfers to beat 22 under par, every scramble I've played in since WHS (probably about 10 or so) have been won by "ridiculously" low scores, from teams with at least one or 2 high handicappers.

I suspect the best way to win is to ensure your team set up has one or 2 "scoring" players (low handicaps), and 2 or 3 higher handicaps who can inflate your handicap. Even better if one or 2 of them hit it a long way, take advantage of that when they hit it straight.

This exact model wins our scrambles every time.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Contacted handicap secretary to ask why we were not applying the WHS way. Simple answer, too complicated and time consuming to work it all out. Mm will remember that when he asks why didn’t put card in for first qualifying medal lol.. not sure because something is difficult means you can just ignore the rules. To make it worse they say 4 man and 3 man get 10%, so we totally stuffed but he did say we get 6 more free drives wow generous.

Swango1980

Visit site
Contacted handicap secretary to ask why we were not applying the WHS way. Simple answer, too complicated and time consuming to work it all out. Mm will remember that when he asks why didn’t put card in for first qualifying medal lol.. not sure because something is difficult means you can just ignore the rules. To make it worse they say 4 man and 3 man get 10%, so we totally stuffed but he did say we get 6 more free drives wow generous.
Does the computer not do it automatically?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oooh... so will the PSI handle that or do you deal with it manualy?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does the computer not do it automatically?
Yes it does... enter the team on the PSI then go to the HDIDo App as if you are returning your score (which you currently can't do for teams) & you will see your Team Allowance shown. Well this is using V1

D

Deleted member 15344

We use them - been pretty clear on my thoughts that they are shocking allowances and from our perspective they are now the domain of the high handicaps where as before when we used 15 or 20% of the combined the winners were more spread across in regards the handicaps.

If the club use any of the ISVs to administer the comp then they must use the allowances - it’s locked in , but done manually then can use anything.

Congu coming up with some random HC allowances ruined Scrambles

Swango1980

Visit site
!0% was another arbitrary number.
How often to you play scrambles? Does it make any difference in Texas or Florida? IMO in theory it should.
Was there this much controversy on these forums regarding scrambles pre WHS? There was certainly some discussion regarding handicaps, but nothing like the complaints we get now. I wonder why?