Handicap for non members

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a friend who was hoping to be able to get a handicap and enter various open type comps

He doesn't have an official handicap, but would likely be off around 3

Is there a cheaper way than joining a golf club for him to be able to get a handicap? I know there are some just pay green fee type options out there. He lives in Wimbledon if this helps?

Cheers

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
in a word, no. you have to be a member of an affiliated club, the potential solution is as you highlight to join a club which basically will allow you to join and maintain a handicap for a much smaller membership fee (have seen these at £50 to £100 a year) and then you pay green fees on top

D

Deleted member 15344

I have a friend who was hoping to be able to get a handicap and enter various open type comps

He doesn't have an official handicap, but would likely be off around 3

Is there a cheaper way than joining a golf club for him to be able to get a handicap? I know there are some just pay green fee type options out there. He lives in Wimbledon if this helps?

Cheers

Need to be a member of a Congu affiliated club to be able to gain a Handicap that allows someone to enter a competition with Congu HC’s

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
I’m sure I read about some online club thing that allowed it. Can’t remember any links but was specifically for maintaining handicaps

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
in a word, no. you have to be a member of an affiliated club, the potential solution is as you highlight to join a club which basically will allow you to join and maintain a handicap for a much smaller membership fee (have seen these at £50 to £100 a year) and then you pay green fees on top
Yes, this is what I was referring to. Can anyone help around this?

I know the part about affiliated club etc, but wasn't sure whether there were any local options of the handicap only type clubs with green fees.

Thanks

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, this is what I was referring to. Can anyone help around this?

I know the part about affiliated club etc, but wasn't sure whether there were any local options of the handicap only type clubs with green fees.

Thanks
The ones I have seen have been council run golf courses, that has a members section seperate from the course as such. The members then pay a small membership fee and a reduced green fee each time they play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’m sure I read about some online club thing that allowed it. Can’t remember any links but was specifically for maintaining handicaps
The SGU or what ever they call themselves now were talking about it. join the scheme which was about £50??? and they would administer a handicap.

Not sure its got any further than that, though not much use to someone in Wimbledon

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is also close and would tick the boxes although not an inspiring course for a low handicapper but if its a case of get in, get out and keep the handicap active each year then not a bad option. You have to be a member of a CONGU affiliated club to have an official handicap. If the OP's friend is in Wimbledon, why not join Wimbledon Common/London Scottish?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is also close and would tick the boxes although not an inspiring course for a low handicapper but if its a case of get in, get out and keep the handicap active each year then not a bad option. You have to be a member of a CONGU affiliated club to have an official handicap. If the OP's friend is in Wimbledon, why not join Wimbledon Common/London Scottish?

Seeing as the object is to get a H/C that place looks to be a piggin' bargin way to sort it out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes - I'm wondering what the catch is - apart from the courses maybe being a bit on the short side and probably not owning the land.

Seems crazy value for London and granted, only been in that part of London for a day trip to the Tennis, but I'm pretty sure it's a lovely leafy area with plenty of potential golf playing folks.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Duncan, I'll have a look at that later on. As for Wimbledon Common, I'd love him to join, but the whole point for him is looking for a cheap way to get an official handicap. He cant do that here, especially as he'll likely only be playing 20 to 30 times a year.

As this years Captain of the Wimbledon Common, it would be great if he joined us and helped in the teams, but it's not going to happen so I'm looking for alternatives, hence my post.

Cheers all.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Richmond Park might do the casual member thing, where you pay £100 or so to join the club, and then just pay green fees on top. So total cost would be something like £150-200 after 3 rounds.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Richmond Park might do the casual member thing, where you pay £100 or so to join the club, and then just pay green fees on top. So total cost would be something like £150-200 after 3 rounds.
They might do - but if you can provide a link to any real details on their LoyalTee pay and play membership option it would be great!
I started looking their and gave up (and that includes having gone through their terms and conditions etc). Theoretically it exists - it's marketed and there's a button for join - but what the annual administration fee/membership is I couldn't establish.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
They might do - but if you can provide a link to any real details on their LoyalTee pay and play membership option it would be great!
I started looking their and gave up (and that includes having gone through their terms and conditions etc). Theoretically it exists - it's marketed and there's a button for join - but what the annual administration fee/membership is I couldn't establish.

I looked at joining them before, but after they changed where the entrance was it became too long of a journey. There are two separate clubs there is the golf course run by Glendale where you friend will need a loyalty scheme of some kind, then there is the "golf club" who organise competitions, roll ups etc. Links below are for the club, to the homepage and FAQs.

It looks like membership is £50 plus £50 joining fee, then whatever he needs from Glendale golf to be able to play enough times

http://www.richmondparkgolfclub.org.uk/index.htm
http://www.richmondparkgolfclub.org.uk/main/extras/Join_FAQ.pdf

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I looked at joining them before, but after they changed where the entrance was it became too long of a journey. There are two separate clubs there is the golf course run by Glendale where you friend will need a loyalty scheme of some kind, then there is the "golf club" who organise competitions, roll ups etc. Links below are for the club, to the homepage and FAQs.

It looks like membership is £50 plus £50 joining fee, then whatever he needs from Glendale golf to be able to play enough times

http://www.richmondparkgolfclub.org.uk/index.htm
http://www.richmondparkgolfclub.org.uk/main/extras/Join_FAQ.pdf
Excellent - I was locked into the Glendale stuff; which is a complete red herring in this context. He can simply p&p.
Better option geographically than the option I posted above, and still a nominal cost.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent - I was locked into the Glendale stuff; which is a complete red herring in this context. He can simply p&p.
Better option geographically than the option I posted above, and still a nominal cost.

not too bad a course either, been 5 years since I played granted but I remember it being an okay set up and with decent greens. I was annoyed at the time when they changed the entrance from Richmond park (20 minutes) to the A3 (over 1 hour) as it would have been right for my budget at the time I was looking at golf clubs

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There isn't a link. I would advise whoever is interested to give them a call. The reason I think that they offer this is that the course is run by Glendale, who often have the club membership side of things independently. At my local club Tilgate, which is managed by Glendale, you can pay £80 to join and then it would just be the case of sorting out your 3 cards.

Hope that helps whoever is interested.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Richmond Park has two decent courses but as it's pay and play it can get painfully slow and a good player like the OP will find it very bland as it's wide open and plays short. However as a handicap option it would seem the most viable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks Duncan, I'll have a look at that later on. As for Wimbledon Common, I'd love him to join, but the whole point for him is looking for a cheap way to get an official handicap. He cant do that here, especially as he'll likely only be playing 20 to 30 times a year.

As this years Captain of the Wimbledon Common, it would be great if he joined us and helped in the teams, but it's not going to happen so I'm looking for alternatives, hence my post.

Cheers all.
Congrats on being captain. Just seen the mugshot and profile on their website!! Sounds like the club is going from strength to strength and I'll have to get down there again for a knock