Handicap committee

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently doing a little bit helping out with our handicap committee with the comp scorecards.

Should i decide to get a little deeper involved what do I need to be aware of, I'm thinking rules etc.

Are there any courses I could attend?

Any advice gratefully received.

thegoldenbear

Hacker
Visit site
There are 2 distinct areas
1. The Rules of Golf (R&A)
2. The Unified Handicap System (CONGU)
Given the introduction of the new Rules, there is currently a gap in education programmes whilst the teachers themselves get re-qualified. Your local County Union will no doubt be offering level 1 and 2 Rules schools at some time later in 2019. In the meantime keep working through the Rules Quiz on the R&A website, videos from various sources and of course read the Rule book.
As for CONGU, in reality the handicap software does most of the work for you, but it would improve understanding greatly if Handicap Committee members did read through the CONGU manual which is now online. http://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2019-CONGU-Manual.pdf and the other resources there such as FAQ.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Given the introduction of the new Rules, there is currently a gap in education programmes whilst the teachers themselves get re-qualified. Your local County Union will no doubt be offering level 1 and 2 Rules schools

I've been offered the chance to do these and I'm pretty interested. Has anybody done them and can kindly detail what's involved?

Cheers

thegoldenbear

Hacker
Visit site
R&A explanation here https://www.randa.org/rulesequipment/rules/rules-education
Remember these are brand new rules and as yet the people who will teach and examine the Rules Schools are actually studying for their own exams, so there will be nothing available in England for a few months.
Level 1 is an entry level 1 day course for those new to Rules study and wanting to gain an initial understanfing of how the Rules work for their own benefit.
Level 2 is for those who are interested in acting as officials at club or County level. Previously it was a 2 day course with practical on course sessions and a written examination with 3 sections, some being open book. As yet we don't know what these will look like under the new Rules education programme. There also used to be a level 3 for national panel referees and senior officials.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently doing a little bit helping out with our handicap committee with the comp scorecards.

Should i decide to get a little deeper involved what do I need to be aware of, I'm thinking rules etc.

Go for it, Dave.

I was on our committee for 3-4 years and loved it. Although certain things like rules and competition queries come up, I'd say that 80% was all other stuff, which you can get by with just a general knowledge of the rules. If you dont like it, you can always come back of it.

If you really want to bone up, courses are run to get you a better knowledge, but think they cost about £200 - none of us had taken this course, BTW.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The most important thing is to read very thoroughly most of the CONGU manual. I would tend to ignore for the beginning everything that is done by the computer systems automatically eg Calculation of CSS. Bearing in mind that a lot will change anyway with the world handicap system in 2020.

If it has not been done already the only thing that will crop very quickly is the annual review and hopefully others with experience should be able to guide you on this. During the year you only have to worry about the continuous review (we do ours once a month) and requested reviews we do about 8 or so a year.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You'll pick up quite a bit from those already on committee. Yes, have a read up on comp rules but you'll never learn them all. Just have a book handy in the office when there's a query. Being on committee entertained me for 14 years - go for it!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would give all new members at your club 2 extra shots to get them started 😉