Gout & golf....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It seems I have a mild case of gout, always thought it was only associated with old people :whistle:

Anyway, for a couple of months off & on I've been getting the odd sharp pain from the ball of my right foot two thirds into most rounds, sometimes earlier if I carried, would find myself not so much limping, but trying to keep the weight off my instep as it would start to ache when finishing the last few holes.

Got back from Seacroft and for the first time noticed that the area by my big toe to the left of the ball of my right foot is quite swollen and tender, it just comes and goes but can at times be quite uncomfortable.

Seeing as there are quite a few old gits on here, does anyone else suffer with gout or a form of arthritis and does it affect you golf in any way, and more importantly, how do you deal with it and do you do anything special prior to playing?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I get it about once every year or so, just for a few days and it's absolutely horrible. Your doctor can give you tablets for when it occurs or I found taking anti inflammatory tablets work pretty well.

It's not necessarily a preserve of the old but I know one or two people who take daily pills to combat it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I get it about once every year or so, just for a few days and it's absolutely horrible. Your doctor can give you tablets for when it occurs or I found taking anti inflammatory tablets work pretty well.

It's not necessarily a preserve of the old but I know one or two people who take daily pills to combat it.

The thing is I'm finding after some research is, with my good food regime at present all the veg I have been encouraged to eat is counter productive for the gout as it's high in uric acid and the fish I have been having also has purines, both factors that contribute towards gout! I know alcohol is a feature also but I'm only consuming a glass of wine with my dinner (evening meal) mainly on a Friday and at the weekend, obviously a pint after each of my matches on Saturday and the B-team, so nothing to speak about really on that front as they state alcohol has to be excessive to cause a gout issue.

Going to take Ibuprofen before a round and see if that helps, I don't want to get on the pill front all the time, but I'm mindful that I don't want it to get any worse!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Probably about once or twice a month. Painkillers and plenty of water to try and flush the system.

i go for a 10 mile run every other day, to get the blood pumping through. It doesn't seem to help.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Probably about once or twice a month. Painkillers and plenty of water to try and flush the system.

i go for a 10 mile run every other day, to get the blood pumping through. It doesn't seem to help.

Well that's the easiest decision I've ever had to make :smirk:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only ever Gout so bad, I couldn't put any weight on my foot - so painful I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I was told by a fellow sufferer to use Cherry Active tablets, but when I got it again the Dr prescribed me some tablets, that I had to take for 2 years, (I think), and since then I've not had it again - touch wood!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was 25, I reported at A&E with a broken toe. I had no idea how I had done it, but it was definitely broken. A&E took one look and said, "that's gout". Like you, I thought this was an older person's ailment.

Absolute agony. I was given diclofenac and some paracetamol and was fine within 48 hours.

Then, I started having frequent attacks. Gave up beer/lager for a year and only had 2 attacks in that time.

However, it's a problem that has never gone away. Tried to play golf during an attack last year and even though I rented a buggy, I could only last 14 holes before hobbling in.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of it. My advice- be responsive to any signs of an attack (tingling in the joint) and react immediately by taking your prescribed anti-inflammatory. I use Naproxen now. An ice water bucket (10 mins in, 10 mins out for 2 hours) can prevent a full blown attack. If you're having frequent attacks, consider a low purine diet.

If nothing helps reduce the frequency of attacks, then it may be time to consider a daily tablet (Allopurinol). In order to be prescribed for this, you'll need to present at your GP. They'll no doubt take blood to check uric acid levels and then give you a month's worth of Naproxen (consider asking for something to settle your stomach as this can cause acid burn / gastritis) first. They'll want you gout free before doing a second blood test. After this, they may give you a long-term prescription.

If I remember right, you were going through a period of weight loss. Don't crash diet- this is a trigger for attacks.

As for golf during an attack- my advice is don't. It's too bloody sore and you'll struggle to play well (I get attacks in my left foot, so can't do anything other than hit off my back foot- bad times).

So:

-Be conscious and responsive to signs of attacks (ice bath, tablets)
-Rest
-Consider long term options with GP
-Good luck

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was 25, I reported at A&E with a broken toe. I had no idea how I had done it, but it was definitely broken. A&E took one look and said, "that's gout". Like you, I thought this was an older person's ailment.

Absolute agony. I was given diclofenac and some paracetamol and was fine within 48 hours.

Then, I started having frequent attacks. Gave up beer/lager for a year and only had 2 attacks in that time.

However, it's a problem that has never gone away. Tried to play golf during an attack last year and even though I rented a buggy, I could only last 14 holes before hobbling in.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of it. My advice- be responsive to any signs of an attack (tingling in the joint) and react immediately by taking your prescribed anti-inflammatory. I use Naproxen now. An ice water bucket (10 mins in, 10 mins out for 2 hours) can prevent a full blown attack. If you're having frequent attacks, consider a low purine diet.

If nothing helps reduce the frequency of attacks, then it may be time to consider a daily tablet (Allopurinol). In order to be prescribed for this, you'll need to present at your GP. They'll no doubt take blood to check uric acid levels and then give you a month's worth of Naproxen (consider asking for something to settle your stomach as this can cause acid burn / gastritis) first. They'll want you gout free before doing a second blood test. After this, they may give you a long-term prescription.

If I remember right, you were going through a period of weight loss. Don't crash diet- this is a trigger for attacks.

As for golf during an attack- my advice is don't. It's too bloody sore and you'll struggle to play well (I get attacks in my left foot, so can't do anything other than hit off my back foot- bad times).

So:

-Be conscious and responsive to signs of attacks (ice bath, tablets)
-Rest
-Consider long term options with GP
-Good luck
I also went to A&E when I had my first attack, the took an X-ray, said it wasn't broken and strapped it up & sent me on my way.

I think it was allopurinol I was prescribed, it did the trick for me.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Every few months or so I get an attack in one of my feet and its very painful, last time was just before Christmas. Never had it diagnosed as such, but when I've had healthchecks the blood analysis has always given a high uric acid result, which suggests that its gout that I suffer from. During the last attack, I found that Ibroprofen definitely helped to take the edge off of the pain. Mine started in my mid-40s, so not necessarily an old person's ailment.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've only had it a couple of times after a huge amount of beer over a sustained period. If I'm not mistaken it's a build up of proteins from the yeast? Lay off the ale for a few days.