Good Memorable Courses not in GM Top 200 and under £40 normal visitor green fee, in UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
was impressed with Kirriemuir when we played it the Sept, would def go back, we got it for £20 with S&S.
We paid £16 each for a Saturday during September last year for Kirrie via Golf Now - I was a bit worried as my missus was dubious about us getting paired with other people and Golf Now obviously sell all four slots in a four ball - on arrival though the starter's first comments were "We can give you a tee time on your own rather than as part of Golf Now's four ball booking if you'd like that"

That kind of surprised me as the course was busy with a comp on.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly can't believe that St. Mellion Nicklaus course isn't rated in the Top 200. Easily a Top 100 course for my money.

Pretty sure you could play if for under £40 last summer playing midweek afternoons.
When we played there they strongly recommended buggies (4 fit mixed seniors). The problem is that they are restricted to the cart paths in the summer. The paths are miles from the fairways and often up or down steep banks. It took 1/2 longer to play than walking the Kernow. Exhausting.

Last edited:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I won't pay over £40 unless it's a special occasion so take your pick from Knaresborough, Harrogate, Moor Allerton, Otley, Leeds (Wike Ridge), Headingley but my pick would be Sand Moor.

Mandofred

Visit site
I won't pay over £40 unless it's a special occasion so take your pick from Knaresborough, Harrogate, Moor Allerton, Otley, Leeds (Wike Ridge), Headingley but my pick would be Sand Moor.
Atta boy. My kind of thinking. There is a guy I play with that comes up from the Leeds/Bradford border to play at Knaresborough. 40 min drive or so..... I wouldn't mind playing Wike...played it a couple of times 12? years or so ago and it seemed alright to me.....and closer to Harrogate than I would have thought. I've only played Skipton one time, but they put in some new holes a couple of years ago that should have made it better.....need to get back there as well.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Weston Super Mare - very much an underrated course

Northampton Harlestone- really good course in a lovely setting

Burford Golf Club - another really nice parkland

Studley Wood - great course with some tough holes , you can certainly see a lot of Red Kites about

Wellingborough- stately home for a club house and some really great holes
Burford is always in good condition, but memorable? I personally think it is really bland with no standout holes

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Atta boy. My kind of thinking. There is a guy I play with that comes up from the Leeds/Bradford border to play at Knaresborough. 40 min drive or so..... I wouldn't mind playing Wike...played it a couple of times 12? years or so ago and it seemed alright to me.....and closer to Harrogate than I would have thought. I've only played Skipton one time, but they put in some new holes a couple of years ago that should have made it better.....need to get back there as well.

Are you a member at Knaresborough? Love that course. Always been in great condition when I've played it.

Wike is great, good variety and great condition. Skipton the same. Par 3 start is always a testing start.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
was impressed with Kirriemuir when we played it the Sept, would def go back, we got it for £20 with S&S.

Always heard good things about Kirriemuir, some chaps I know say their open is always good and it always looks quite appealing to me when I drive past it on the way to the glens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I honestly can't believe that St. Mellion Nicklaus course isn't rated in the Top 200. Easily a Top 100 course for my money.

Pretty sure you could play if for under £40 last summer playing midweek afternoons.
Not for me. Too easy to lose balls when it was a relatively decent shot and so the round is slow, soul destroying and hard to score on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Always heard good things about Kirriemuir, some chaps I know say their open is always good and it always looks quite appealing to me when I drive past it on the way to the glens.
well worth a game Jiim, but dont underestimate its short length, it was under 6000 yards, but the greens were where all the trouble was, not so much upturned saucers, more like Soup bowls:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you'd be struggling Paul for many of the N Leeds ones for under £40 unless Opens. Wike & Otley certainly are..... N Leeds has increased green fees quite a bit in the last few years..... Opens not too bad except Alwoodley & Moortown.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Anyone got one to mention ?

And why is it memorable ?

Cant beat a cheap memorable course in my eyes, and will help to pass an evening away looking on golf websites:whistle:
I'll throw in where I'm playing in Oxfordshire. Part of the reason I joined was that I found it memorable and wanted to play the holes again.
Heythrop Park.
Some are:
5th & 6th are short (dramatic) par 4s teeing over water.
8th driving over a valley to dogleg then up to raised green
11th par 5 downhill with penalty areas both sides, green approach over water or ancient tree depending on line.
13th par 3 over a valley
14th par 5 under 450 as the crow flies but you won't be reaching in 2
18th arrow straight par 5 with no bunkers, framed by the Mansion House

Probably memorable if you are walking it for the first time ? (is a fair old hike)
Also, might be memorable if you think "if only they could spend the money/time this could really be something - shame"
?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A bit more south east and Royal Magpie Hall would take a lot of beating :whistle::ROFLMAO: and if High Elms was a private members club instead of council owned P & P, it would be one of the best in the area. :unsure:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Huntley Hall GC at Saltburn is another good shout.
Just £2 over the £40 gives you a round at the best, Parkland, Members Club course in County Durham at Brancepath Castle.

Mandofred

Visit site
Are you a member at Knaresborough? Love that course. Always been in great condition when I've played it.

Wike is great, good variety and great condition. Skipton the same. Par 3 start is always a testing start.
Yep, at Knaresborough. Skipton still starts with a par 3?....the only time I played there it was a really boring simple uphill par 3..... YOWZA...just looked at their scorecard. Opens with a par 5 now...ouch. I thought that was one of the holes they changed.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bidston. A bit of a bottle neck at one point with tees and greens in close proximity and not long but the greens were some of the best that I have ever played on and all for £20.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The old course at Leckford is a cracker. Only a 9 holer but has two tees on each hole. Some lovely testing holes and the 9th is a gorgeous par 3.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
[
A bit more south east and Royal Magpie Hall would take a lot of beating :whistle::ROFLMAO: and if High Elms was a private members club instead of council owned P & P, it would be one of the best in the area. :unsure:

Did the plans to extend Royal Magpie to 18 holes ever happen? Good shout on High Elms, I nearly put that up earlier. (y)

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep, at Knaresborough. Skipton still starts with a par 3?....the only time I played there it was a really boring simple uphill par 3..... YOWZA...just looked at their scorecard. Opens with a par 5 now...ouch. I thought that was one of the holes they changed.
the opening hole at Skipton is now what used to be the second. With the new holes ( due to flood relief work) it is even better than it used to be.
don't think outside of Spain I've played a course with so many elevated tees.