Good Memorable Courses not in GM Top 200 and under £40 normal visitor green fee, in UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ll throw in Holyte GC in Kent a hidden gem of a an old style 9 Hole course £22 midweek £25 weekends.

It won’t be to everyone’s taste but I love visiting there and has my favorite par 3 anywhere.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, at Knaresborough. Skipton still starts with a par 3?....the only time I played there it was a really boring simple uphill par 3..... YOWZA...just looked at their scorecard. Opens with a par 5 now...ouch. I thought that was one of the holes they changed.
Yes they've done away with the pathetic Par 3 starter, though the main hole changes have come about in the back 9 due to the Multi-million £'s of flood defences for Skipton following the shocking 2015 floods, & very impressive the works are.
The Club were compensated for the loss of some holes & the fact that some are now in an area that will go underwater in order to protect Skipton. They've therefore been able to use that cash to enhance the course. I enjoyed it more than the first times I played it. Give it a go & I bet you walk all the way across to examine the very impressive flood spill-way that goes under the main road to the Lakes ... I did & was really impressed.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Yep, at Knaresborough. Skipton still starts with a par 3?....the only time I played there it was a really boring simple uphill par 3..... YOWZA...just looked at their scorecard. Opens with a par 5 now...ouch. I thought that was one of the holes they changed.
Hi both of you. As a member of Skipton can confirm the Par 3 1st is now the practice area and we Start on what was the 2nd which is a Par 5. It has changed a lot over last three years due to the dam being buiit at bottom ends of course. We added two new Par 4s, shortend one hole to a Par 3 but lengthened another Which added 700 yards to course overall. Slope off whites at 135. If you ever fancy a round once we get back playing and everything open, let me know gladly show you round.
Also if any scratch players read this we are holding a 2 day comp in July for all scratch players, male and female. See the web site for details.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you'd be struggling Paul for many of the N Leeds ones for under £40 unless Opens. Wike & Otley certainly are..... N Leeds has increased green fees quite a bit in the last few years..... Opens not too bad except Alwoodley & Moortown.

Never paid more than £40 at any of the courses mentioned mate. Normally paid £25 at Moor Allerton and Sand Moor. Not at peak times granted.

Hope you're well mate.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi both of you. As a member of Skipton can confirm the Par 3 1st is now the practice area and we Start on what was the 2nd which is a Par 5. It has changed a lot over last three years due to the dam being buiit at bottom ends of course. We added two new Par 4s, shortend one hole to a Par 3 but lengthened another Which added 700 yards to course overall. Slope off whites at 135. If you ever fancy a round once we get back playing and everything open, let me know gladly show you round.
Also if any scratch players read this we are holding a 2 day comp in July for all scratch players, male and female. See the web site for details.

Didn't realise that. The last 2 times I've played were with a society that I play with. It absolutely chucked it down to the point that when we're finishing on the 18th the green was just about to be underwater 10 minutes after we finished. Knew that there was a load of work being done after the floods. Be interested in playing it with the new holes. Always enjoyed the course and always a nice welcome too from the pro and clubhouse.

Mandofred

Visit site
The only time I played there it was a gorgeous day.....the new holes were being completed in less than a year so you could see what they were doing. I need to talk a couple guys into playing, it's one of our reciprocal courses so we can play there a time or two for no cost.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ll throw in Holyte GC in Kent a hidden gem of a an old style 9 Hole course £22 midweek £25 weekends.

It won’t be to everyone’s taste but I love visiting there and has my favorite par 3 anywhere.

I love holtye. I'm in TW and just started seeing their pro Nick Duc before lockdown. The par 3 in question wouldn't be this one would it?

An absolute joy to play everytime I've been.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I love holtye. I'm in TW and just started seeing their pro Nick Duc before lockdown. The par 3 in question wouldn't be this one would it?

An absolute joy to play everytime I've been.

Yes that’s the par 3 fantastic hole and what’s more you get to play it twice? I’ve played their senior pairs open for the last 6/7 years always a great day out at a very friendly club. Really missed playing there this year but will hopefully be back.

I’ve had a few chats with Nick he’s a nice guy

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was going to suggest Brora - but just seen that the prices have shot up since i was last there.

(But some of the Scottish lads on here have indicated that greenfees on many a Scottish course have rocketed in recent time)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was going to suggest Brora - but just seen that the prices have shot up since i was last there.

(But some of the Scottish lads on here have indicated that greenfees on many a Scottish course have rocketed in recent time)

How’s your h/c now any different from when we had our h4h challenge? I’m on 16.6 just about where I was a couple of years ago.

I played Brora a few years ago nice course ?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone played Fraserburgh? Just seen ru macs video, looks fantastic.

We’re up at Cruden for the open week in July. Is it worth the extra hour in the car and another nights stay?

They have an open on the Sat before Cruden starts on the Tuesday, Wonder if she’ll mind? ?‍♂️?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Another shout for Pitlochry. Absolutely gorgeous golf course and when we used to go to Scotland annually it was always the first one on the itinerary.
The climb up the first 3 or 4 holes is "demanding", but it's worth it for those views.
We always received a warm welcome, and had some of our most enjoyable days here.

Full membership £528.00........ we could only dream of that down South!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Pit 1.jpgPit 3.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

Another shout for Pitlochry. Absolutely gorgeous golf course and when we used to go to Scotland annually it was always the first one on the itinerary.
The climb up the first 3 or 4 holes is "demanding", but it's worth it for those views.
We always received a warm welcome, and had some of our most enjoyable days here.

Full membership £528.00........ we could only dream of that down South!!! :cry::cry:
I have only played Pitlochry once but what a lovely course.

Would love to return in the summer.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Got me thinking last night. When we last played they'd put a short uphill Par 3 in next to dog leg left Par 4. I think you then play the long Par 3. Is that one of the new holes?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[

Did the plans to extend Royal Magpie to 18 holes ever happen? Good shout on High Elms, I nearly put that up earlier. (y)

Still a 9 holer. You wouldn't want to do 18 there :ROFLMAO: High Elms is actually a very good layout and mixture of holes. The par 3 13th is possibly the most difficult in Kent. Definitely a case of lay up short of the bunkers, chip on and hope you don't 3 putt - easy to do on that green. :oops: