Good Memorable Courses not in GM Top 200 and under £40 normal visitor green fee, in UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My cousins moved there in the 80s so played there a lot. The 1st is terrifying

When we played it the club pro was just driving off and said to pop the fees in the box or something like that and left us to it. As we stood on the first tee trying to figure out where the first was I saw the green in the distance but immediately dismissed it to my mates as it couldn't possibly be THAT ONE ! Luckilly a bloke appeared, ( from where we now know was the 18th, which we were about to play to) and pointed to where the bonkers green was. WE ALL LAYED UP ! I then sent a very lofted wedge up in the sky, in hope, and waved goodbye to the ball.
None of us scored on the first.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still a 9 holer. You wouldn't want to do 18 there :ROFLMAO: High Elms is actually a very good layout and mixture of holes. The par 3 13th is possibly the most difficult in Kent. Definitely a case of lay up short of the bunkers, chip on and hope you don't 3 putt - easy to do on that green. :oops:

Never played Magpie, Royal Barnehurst was closer ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi both of you. As a member of Skipton can confirm the Par 3 1st is now the practice area and we Start on what was the 2nd which is a Par 5. It has changed a lot over last three years due to the dam being buiit at bottom ends of course. We added two new Par 4s, shortend one hole to a Par 3 but lengthened another Which added 700 yards to course overall. Slope off whites at 135. If you ever fancy a round once we get back playing and everything open, let me know gladly show you round.
Also if any scratch players read this we are holding a 2 day comp in July for all scratch players, male and female. See the web site for details.
Though your course slope of 135 doesn't make it difficult per se - it does indicate that higher handicap players will find it a LOT harder than low single figure guys. What do you reckon it is about your course that makes it so, that a scratch / low SF guy might find it quite easy, whilst a high h/cap guy is likely to find it really hard.

D

Deleted member 21258

Liking a hilly course for those amazing holes that almost only exist on those kind of courses and are memorable -

Church Stretton
Welshpool
Bamburgh Castle
Cleeve Hill

Must get to Knighton this year

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was just gonna write same thing

Sure it's £60 green fee now
It's definitely more than I'd pay for it. I've played it a good few times, BiL used to have corporate membership that no one used, and once you get past the scenery it can be very frustrating. Too many blind holes for me. Great for visitors, all very stunning, but I'd pay no more than £25. £60 is daft

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's definitely more than I'd pay for it. I've played it a good few times, BiL used to have corporate membership that no one used, and once you get past the scenery it can be very frustrating. Too many blind holes for me. Great for visitors, all very stunning, but I'd pay no more than £25. £60 is daft

Was looking a few weeks ago at booking a cottage in Bamburgh for the summer. Came across what looks to be a converted farm site which must have around 10 cottages, and offered free golf at Bamburgh.

Was very tempted but it looked a bit of a hike to the nearest pub so we ended up choosing somewhere else.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Two clubs that we play matches against that aren't (and probably won't ever) feature in a GM top 200 is Caversham Heath and Tylney Park. Caversham Heath has held Europro event and was being redeveloped after being taken over by Reading GC. Tylney is a long course set in some great countryside with some decent views. Clubhouse leaves a little to be desired but the curse (and the guys we play against) are great. Long at around 6,600 off the whites and still somewhere near 6,200. The blacks stretches it to over 7,000 and definitely one where you need the big dog wrking

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Got me thinking last night. When we last played they'd put a short uphill Par 3 in next to dog leg left Par 4. I think you then play the long Par 3. Is that one of the new holes?
Hi.
No that up hill par 3 was a temp hole while new holes developed. After the dog leg left, you now go behind half way house into new land for two Par 4s. One easyish but the other is a long Par 4 usually into a head wind with a left to right green. These are two new holes. Then what was the long Par 3 is now a short par 3. (140 yards )
other changes are what was a short Par 4 used to be 7th is now a long Par 3. The shortish Par 5 in middle is now longer but still good birdie chance.
They have made 17th a very long Par 4 with the green above you on Dam wall and added a new tee for the 18th which also makes it a lot longer. Hopefully plenty of opens this year of you fancy coming back to play again.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Though your course slope of 135 doesn't make it difficult per se - it does indicate that higher handicap players will find it a LOT harder than low single figure guys. What do you reckon it is about your course that makes it so, that a scratch / low SF guy might find it quite easy, whilst a high h/cap guy is likely to find it really hard.
Evening. Not sure why other than course has been lengthened dramatically with new layout. That and a lot of tree lined fairways may help. Am told it is one of the higher ratings in Yorkshire, how true don’t know. We did find scores from old course to new course have changed, used to be 64, would just get you in prizes was Par 70. Now you can be doing well level par 72. That does include SF players also.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It looked fantastic on Dan Hendriksens Vlog

That's good to hear. It had a few dry patches on in August... :) I thought that was a good series of videos. Its funny seeing your own course on something like that. If they had taken a member out with them, they would have holed more putts! Pete hasn't enjoyed the best of health lately, I hope that cheered him up. And, you do see Phil Price "just turn up for a game" more often than you might imagine.

There a several really decent parkland layouts in South Wales, well worth a visit, very reasonably priced, other than Celtic Manor and good stops on the way to the "links" courses further West. Sad that lots of folks visit the region and only see Celtic Manor.

The Lion

Visit site
GM BEST VALUE

A good selection from various parts of the country. Many are twilight or winter rates:
Appleby £15 Twl
Fraserburgh £40 Twl / £20 winter
West Kilbride £35 winter / Twl
Cleveland £20-30 Twl
North Wales £25 Twl
Painswick £15-25
Windermere £25 winter / £32 Twl
Clitheroe £25 winter / Twl
Pleasington £25 winter
Furness £20 winter / £25 Twl
Prestatyn £20-30
Anglesey £20 / £15 Twl
Holyhead £22 Twl
Bull Bay £25 Twl
Rushmere £30
Isle of Purbeck £25 Twl
Knighton Heath £30 Twl
Teignmouth £22 Twl
Welshpool £25

Also a few from/around the Top 200 which offer great value:
Silloth £35 Day winter (£17.50 Rnd) or £65 Day summer (£32.50 Rnd)
Southerness £45 Day winter (£22.50 Rnd)
Machrihanish £35 Twl winter
Irvine £30 winter (also Twl rate)
Moray Old £30 winter
Mach Dunes £40 Day winter (£20 Rnd)
Links With History (Lundin, Scotscraig, Ladybank, Crail) £25 each winter
Boat of Garten £40 Twl / £25 winter
Panmure £40 winter
Goswick £30 winter / £35 Twl
East Devon £37 Twl
Conwy £35 Twl
Royal North Devon £35-40 Twl/winter
Perranporth £30 Twl
Pyle & Kenfig £35 winter
Tenby £30

evemccc

Visit site
When visiting parents in Yorkshire I sometimes play at Bedale—a nice parkland course, and Masham is a similar type of course, but only 9 holes.

These are really nice parkland courses, in my view (esp in summer) I would recommend them both, though I reckon they would get fairly water-logged if there’s been heavy rain

Pretty cheap too

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Seascale Cumbria - Great Links course, so what isolated. They were involved with The English Amateur (I think) with Silloth a few years’ ago
Love Seascale, any trip to Cumbria has Seascale on the itinerary.

The walk into Sellafield playing the 11th and 12th is jaw dropping, I wonder how much that security fence cost. As if to compensate for Sellafield we saw the most spectacular sunset ever, a fiery red sky and the Irish Sea twinkling like a million diamonds.

Two rounds, food, beer, cost cherry bobs.

D

Deleted member 3432

Love Seascale, any trip to Cumbria has Seascale on the itinerary.

The walk into Sellafield playing the 11th and 12th is jaw dropping, I wonder how much that security fence cost. As if to compensate for Sellafield we saw the most spectacular sunset ever, a fiery red sky and the Irish Sea twinkling like a million diamonds.

Two rounds, food, beer, cost cherry bobs.

Once you are inside the fence there are more fences around individual buildings :ROFLMAO:

Perimeter fence is around 11 miles and there is an inner fence a few feet inside all the round as well :eek:

More razor wire than the great escape and a very odd feeling going for a walk at bait time on a summers evening looking over at the golf course from inside the fence...

Good track however and the sunsets as you say over the Irish are spectactular and the views inland to the Lake District fells arn't too shabby either

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once you are inside the fence there are more fences around individual buildings :ROFLMAO:

Perimeter fence is around 11 miles and there is an inner fence a few feet inside all the round as well :eek:

More razor wire than the great escape and a very odd feeling going for a walk at bait time on a summers evening looking over at the golf course from inside the fence...

Good track however and the sunsets as you say over the Irish are spectactular and the views inland to the Lake District fells arn't too shabby either
Gotta time your travel in this area to avoid the traffic jams & looney driving during shift changes. Was certainly not something I anticipated in this part of the world. ??

D

Deleted member 3432

Gotta time your travel in this area to avoid the traffic jams & looney driving during shift changes. Was certainly not something I anticipated in this part of the world. ??

Its not as bad as it was traffic wise nowadays, company has limited number of cars allowed on site and put loads of buses on or everyone is car schooling.

Several thousand working from home at present while buses and car schools are a no go.