Good Memorable Courses not in GM Top 200 and under £40 normal visitor green fee, in UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Arcot Hall - home to rudebhouy

Gosforth GC, also known as The Broadway - relatively short but fun to play

Linden Hall, a lovely lay out that would be one of the best in northumberland if only the owners took more care of it.

Tyneside - smashing course, plenty of interesting holes

Quite a few others are less than £40 in reality, options on brs visitor booking, but the headline figure is above £40 so I have discounted them.

The Bridlepath, not The Broadway. I agree it's a great little course. My mate is a member and I play there 3 or 4 times a year, always enjoyable.

Whitley Bay is also very decent. Often on Golfnow for £20-£25.

Further south, I'd chuck in Scarborough South Cliff and Filey. Both lovely courses.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Comrie in Scotland.

Im really struggling to think of any in the NW in Summer.

Heswall on the Wirral have a winter rate at £40 at weekends and Caldy is £35 with a county card.

Manchester (Hopwood) is £25 in Winter on a Sunday.

I'll go for a Muni though, Walton Hall in Warrington is £19.50. If this were a private club it would be one of the best in the NW. Just needs a little TLC. Great layout and a fantastic course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Bridlepath, not The Broadway. I agree it's a great little course. My mate is a member and I play there 3 or 4 times a year, always enjoyable.

Whitley Bay is also very decent. Often on Golfnow for £20-£25.

Further south, I'd chuck in Scarborough South Cliff and Filey. Both lovely courses.
Buffoon :oops:, well pointed out. Brain not fully functioning yet (y).

I actually checked Whitley Bay as that is one of my favourite courses but the headline figure is over £40. As you say, easy enough to get it under £40 but the website figure is higher.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Church Stretton. First three holes are all par three with the first being impossible.

Especially with wind in face! Lay up and hope for a bogey!

Certainly a course that needs experiencing. I’ve only played it once, strong winds and horizontal rain, it was all you could do to finish! Would love to go back on a nice day, views are amazing.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Preston golf club is 45 but I'm sure you can get it for under that at times.

Played it numerous times and loved it.

Good test of golf but you can also score very well if on your game.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Under £40 makes it tough. [That rules out Burford I would imagine]

Belleisle and Troon Darley in South Ayrshire.
Kilspindie, North Berwick East and Gullane No 3 in East Lothian
Freshwater Bay and Ryde on the IOW.
i'm not sure you can get any of those for £40 now Kilspindie is £75 at least

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I was in Perthshire and looking to play I'd be on Dunkeld & Birnam (£35 any weekday) or Pitlochry (£25 Wednesdays) in a flash. Both courses are quite challenging - perfect holiday courses - but what really sets them apart for me is their absolutely stunning Highland locations and views.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Meyrick Park in Bournemouth. Short, tight, very quirky and usually excellent greens.
Greenock, built on top of the hill with stunning views over the Clyde estuary.
Eden at St Andrews, some great holes especially on the front 9.
Burnside at Carnoustie has the best par 3's on the complex.

Corballis in Dublin. Not played it yet but on my hitlist, just looks like great fun all the way round.
Bognor Regis, real mix of very tough holes or easy birdie chances. Always enjoy playing there.

Had possibly the best afternoon of my trip to St Andrews on the Eden course. Played the Old Course in the morning, Eden in the afternoon, Eden was a solo round - the crossover par 3s are beautiful, and I loved the dogleg right along the estuary. Lovely stuff. This was back in 2018 on a glorious sunny afternoon.

Contrasting the glorious sunny afternoon at St Andrews with an earlier trip to Carnoustie, I echo your comments on the Burnside - very enjoyable. However I played that on a freezing cold day (in the middle of August.....), but it was great!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seascale Cumbria - Great Links course, so what isolated. They were involved with The English Amateur (I think) with Silloth a few years’ ago

D

Deleted Member 1156

Seascale Cumbria - Great Links course, so what isolated. They were involved with The English Amateur (I think) with Silloth a few years’ ago
Fingers crossed I'm playing in a competition there in June.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Kirriemuir, lovely location, nice little course around £20 just now - actually appear to be taking visitor bookings just now.

Monifieth Ashludie - cracking short (just over 5000 yards) links £40 in height of summer £20 if it was taking visitors just now - no visitors at the moment.

Agreed that the Burnside at Carnoustie is a lovely course but it ain't under £40 or anything like it - it's £54 at this time of year and £75 in the summer -