Good Memorable Courses not in GM Top 200 and under £40 normal visitor green fee, in UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You may get a deal but Kilspindie and the Glen are more than £40 these days.
Here is the Glen.
View attachment 34564

We paid £40 for The Glen last summer, by quoting the James Braid Assoc, our club is a member.

Crikey, I enjoyed The Glen, a few superb holes but the rest were pretty bog big standard iirc.

Pushing a trolley up that hill to the first green is not for the faint-hearted!

The Fader

Visit site
I honestly can't believe that St. Mellion Nicklaus course isn't rated in the Top 200. Easily a Top 100 course for my money.

Pretty sure you could play if for under £40 last summer playing midweek afternoons.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Arcot Hall - home to rudebhouy

Gosforth GC, also known as The Broadway - relatively short but fun to play

Linden Hall, a lovely lay out that would be one of the best in northumberland if only the owners took more care of it.

Tyneside - smashing course, plenty of interesting holes

Quite a few others are less than £40 in reality, options on brs visitor booking, but the headline figure is above £40 so I have discounted them.

Another for Tyneside, had a Couple of great meets up there.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sea houses in Northumberland has some memorable holes indeed. Fortunately when I have played it’s never been windy.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Dunavery can’t be more that 40 quid but it’s maybe the most ‘fun’ course I’ve ever played.

Spectacular views and brilliant design.

I presume that should be Dunaverty? It was memorable, great views but don't let anyone kid you that it is an easy walk; what it lacks in length it more than makes up for in elevation changes... :oops:

AliMc

Visit site
One which will be in the top 200 but worth a mention cost wise is The Roxburghe nr Kelso in the Scottish Borders, fantastic golf course, various rates apply but last year times at £35 were available most weekdays, would be much more costly if it was closer to either Edinburgh or Glasgow, played a couple of comps there last year and it was mostly Gordie accents around !

AliMc

Visit site
Arcot Hall - home to rudebhouy

Gosforth GC, also known as The Broadway - relatively short but fun to play

Linden Hall, a lovely lay out that would be one of the best in northumberland if only the owners took more care of it.

Tyneside - smashing course, plenty of interesting holes

Quite a few others are less than £40 in reality, options on brs visitor booking, but the headline figure is above £40 so I have discounted them.
Agree re Linden Hall, had my stag do there back in 2002, great layout I thought

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree re Linden Hall, had my stag do there back in 2002, great layout I thought
I was a member there for a couple of years. Cracking layout, a real test, very pretty. It is a hotel course though and the hotel chain are simply not that interested. They don't have enough greenstaff for the size of the course and that means it just dips off condition wise. Even in a hot summer the greens will be slow and that is just frustrating. It is still a very good course to play but it could be more than that if they wanted it to be.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kirriemuir, lovely location, nice little course around £20 just now - actually appear to be taking visitor bookings just now.

Monifieth Ashludie - cracking short (just over 5000 yards) links £40 in height of summer £20 if it was taking visitors just now - no visitors at the moment.

Agreed that the Burnside at Carnoustie is a lovely course but it ain't under £40 or anything like it - it's £54 at this time of year and £75 in the summer -
was impressed with Kirriemuir when we played it the Sept, would def go back, we got it for £20 with S&S.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'd disagree, it is a smashing course and a perfect fit for this thread. I thought it was more than £40 but I checked your website and you were bang on (y).

I'd also throw Richmond into the mix. It has a good few interesting holes and I have never come away without a smile on my face.
Well, if we ever play again I can treat you to a round if you want. I think we still get 3 free play tickets with the membership. They used to hand them to us a few years ago....but last I heard you have to go to the office and ask for them.

I've also heard some good things about Masham......9 hole near by.....£25 for 18 holes.