Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Spent from 7-10 this morning acting as Starter fora big 2 day ckmp at the club...
Glorious morning, 3 hours sat on a bench telling people what to do, then breakfast (free) on the verandah watching them struggle to keep the ball,on the green.?
Win, win.....
Oh, and watching about 45 tee shots off our 1st made me feel a whole let better about my game....God there were some shockers :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Day 2 in the can and Wow it's warm out there.
Although temperatures are down a whisker on yesterday there's no wind to take the edge off so it feels hotter.
Glad I'm not playing :ROFLMAO:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Wifee suggested we grab a buggy and take the pup with us around the golf course. Weather wise it was a good day for a buggy, and the little fella was well behaved, not one bark and was taking it all in. Only close call was when I was shouting at the golf ball (as you do 🥴), "go go" and he thought I was talking to him! The irony is if I give that command usually he'll just give that "yeah right, whatever" look 😅

Skytot

Visit site
I
Wifee suggested we grab a buggy and take the pup with us around the golf course. Weather wise it was a good day for a buggy, and the little fella was well behaved, not one bark and was taking it all in. Only close call was when I was shouting at the golf ball (as you do 🥴), "go go" and he thought I was talking to him! The irony is if I give that command usually he'll just give that "yeah right, whatever" look 😅
I wish we were allowed dogs on the course & in club house at my club . I’ve got a 11 wk Golden Retriever. I live about a driver & 5 iron away and it would be brilliant to nip on for 9 holes on a cool summer evening.. We are going up to Northumberland ( Beadnall) , I’ve being looking at playing Seahouses GC where they embrace & encourage Dogs on the course & club house.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I tried something for the first time earlier this year in a social game.

Walking towards the green of a par-3 a chap asked, "What did you hit from the tee?"

Now then, I had been waiting for this question so my response was swift, "Thirty point five degree iron. What did you hit?"

Chap was amused but said, "You are the last person in the world that I thought would give that kind of answer."
He had clubs that were less than a year old, but did not know the lofts. Mine are 15 years old.

Why do people ask this question anyway?

sunshine

Visit site
The joys of a club with no dress code. Played in the heat yesterday wearing athletic shorts, t-shirt and light mesh trainers. It was liberating.

I played yesterday wearing athletic shorts, a golf top but untucked, canvas trainers and (horror of horrors) black trainer socks. It was 29 degrees and I want to be comfortable. And my club has a very traditional dress code. Last week I wore a football shirt (black Netherlands away - very smart ;)).

If I was visiting another club I would be more conservative to avoid any awkwardness. But I'm not going to let the 1% of pompous idiots dictate to me how I dress at my own club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played yesterday wearing athletic shorts, a golf top but untucked, canvas trainers and (horror of horrors) black trainer socks. It was 29 degrees and I want to be comfortable. And my club has a very traditional dress code. Last week I wore a football shirt (black Netherlands away - very smart ;)).

If I was visiting another club I would be more conservative to avoid any awkwardness. But I'm not going to let the 1% of pompous idiots dictate to me how I dress at my own club.
I'd honestly be torn if my club got rid of dress codes. In the grand scheme of things I'd say it was a good thing, but I've spent so much on golf clothing now that I'd have to keep wearing them regardless.

sunshine

Visit site
I'd honestly be torn if my club got rid of dress codes. In the grand scheme of things I'd say it was a good thing, but I've spent so much on golf clothing now that I'd have to keep wearing them regardless.

The reality is that most of my golf polos are lightweight material, same with the trousers, and then mid layers and gilets are most comfortable to swing a club. So if there was no dress code I'd still choose to wear golf gear most of the time.

Apologies for turning this into another dress code debate, but I think it's a forum rule that dress code must be discussed at least once a week :LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The reality is that most of my golf polos are lightweight material, same with the trousers, and then mid layers and gilets are most comfortable to swing a club. So if there was no dress code I'd still choose to wear golf gear most of the time.

Apologies for turning this into another dress code debate, but I think it's a forum rule that dress code must be discussed at least once a week :LOL:

I'm with you! I wear golf gear in comps as its the "done thing" but otherwise you'll find me in an array of sports clothing - especially in the midweek evenings!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was feeling rebellious this morning..
Played with my shirt untucked.....felt free...felt good
Think I got away with it...
I never ever tuck my shirt in for golf. One of the most daft 'rules' of all, that. I'm doing an activity that involves athletic motion and you want me to attempt to keep my shirt tucked in? Just nonsense. In fairness I cannot remember the last time anybody called me on it and asked me to tuck it in, so it's all good.

Anyway - back on topic - I've just been invited to another golf day at the London Club by my office. So I'll be playing there twice in June and July now. Weirdly everyone else who's attending seems to be off 28 or higher. A couple said they don't have one but 'just give me the highest handicap possible' :LOL: I think even the ones who said 28 probably thought that was still the highest...

Reactions: sjw

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My 2 yesterday was worth £36 in the sweep!😁

Will I be reprimanded for not stating Course Rating, Slope and tees played??😉
How many entrants and how many other 2s were scored?
How long was the hole and what was the shaft length and loft of the club used? (Don't need to know brand and model)
How long was the putt?
Was your shirt tucked in for the duration of the hole?
How long and what colour were your socks?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While away on holiday one of my mates put us in the ballots for a couple of courtesies for next week…and we got Monday at North Hants and Friday at Blackmoor. Nice work.

Makes for a busy seven days. Today rollup; then Tuesday and next Saturday singles KO matches.

No golf Thursday as our son has got us guest tickets for Jack Johnson at the Hammersmith Apollo and we tend to go up London early afternoon to make a bit of a day of it.

Last edited: