Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

evemccc

Visit site
Agree with everything Jonny says...
Separate changing room at the top of the stairs.
Separate bar adjacent.
Does nothing to detract from the experience.
Nothing snooty... would describe it as 'functional'. The building is impressive, and has had a lot of money spent on it (which has made it better for visitors too) It's not the same clubhouse feel as you'd get as some of the older clubhouses, but is hard to fault otherwise. I'd focus on the course rather than the clubhouse.

Not as penal or blind off the tee as people make out.
Aim for the middle of the greens.
The first 16 or so holes are as good as it gets... and the run from 2-12 is exceptional.
Been lucky enough to play there several times over the last 10 years. The bit about wanting to go back after a visit is definitely true!

Enjoy Newcastle too... lovely little town with great places to eat and drink on the sea front.

Thanks for detailed input - I’ve spent plenty of time on the website watching the flyovers and ans reading the various reviews of things to be aware of / particularly look out for on the course (3rd approach shot, 4th tee shot, walking over the ridge on the 9th etc) and I’m really looking forward to it 😁

Reactions: Zig

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, what a great place to play golf. Weather wise, best day since last Thursday.
We got there two hours before our tee time to take it all in. Good practice facilities with driving range so had a good warm up.

Super clubhouse where we had coffee but forgot to pay! But went back after and paid. 🙄

You could see that the course had suffered from the recent poor weather. Some of the fairways had been re- turfed but had knitted in well and didn't detract from the golf.

Really liked the greens, were true and not too quick and probably why I putted so well.

Having a compulsory stop at the halfway hut was a welcome relief! A bit embarrassing as we left our wallets in the car but they said no problem just pay in the Dormie house. Great!

I had two blobs and 14points on the front nine but a much better showing on the back nine. 21 points and no blobs!

We both preferred the back nine which was very picturesque with stunning views! I thought my own course, Pyecombe in Sussex, has great views but not a patch on Gleneagles!

Just a slight niggle, some holes were not signposted and not always obvious where the next tee was.

All in all a great days golf and would love to return one day.
I haven't mentioned my brother as unfortunately he suffered with a poorly back. But he managed to get round and still out drove me a few times and like me thoroughly enjoyed the day.
Great that you enjoyed it Chris. A fantastic hotel, superb courses and club house. When I was there I also saw an eagle in flight which was wonderful.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great that you enjoyed it Chris. A fantastic hotel, superb courses and club house. When I was there I also saw an eagle in flight which was wonderful.
Cheers Chris, yeah, it's all of the above and more!
We saw a bird of prey circling above but couldn't make out what it was as it was so high up.

sunshine

Visit site
Yeah when he gets into his stride Eze is very impressive. Or did you mean Zaha?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My club has just put a few photos up on a Facebook post - one of which clearly shows my mate missing a two foot putt. :ROFLMAO:
What is now the Grim's Dyke hotel and restaurant was once the home of Mr Gilbert of Gilbert and Sullivan.
After World War 2, it was a TB rehabilitation hospital.
My dad was serving in the RAF after the war. During a training exercise the Lancaster he was in went into a dive and one of my dad's lungs collapsed. During the rush to get treatment it was suspected and then proved that he had TB.
After receiving hospital treatment, he was sent to Grim's Dyke for several weeks to recuperate.
There, he met a nurse.
So if my dad had not nearly died and contracted TB, I would not exist.
Well, that's my Grim's Dyke story.