Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

evemccc

Visit site
In a few days time I will have played at Royal County Down 😄
And my heart is really quite “gladdened” by that thought

What’s this I read about separate clubhouses for visitors, or just separate changing rooms?? Is it smart leather work/wedding/funeral shoes only in the clubhouse, spike bar, or could clean black Merrells suffice?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

What’s this I read about separate clubhouses for visitors, or just separate changing rooms?? Is it smart leather work/wedding/funeral shoes only in the clubhouse, spike bar, or could clean black Merrells suffice?

Bloody hell mate 😮

D

Deleted member 15344

Would wear your standard suit shoes just in case. Merrells are more walking shoes

Smoj

Visit site
After a long time getting depressed with a constant annoying slice I have finally found the light and started to hit multiple draws today at the range. anything that went right to left, pulls, hooks was considered a win, but i hit some beautiful proper, pure draws and it felt awesome.
I was coming over the top, so decided to try massively exaggerate going in to out and it worked, it felt like i was swinging a baseball bat. and trying to hit the ball into the next bay, but on my video i saw everything fall into place, my left foot moved a bit, but i was consintrating on the in-out. planting the feet and swing technique will be worked on after i am more constantly hitting the shots i want.

here is a vid critique welcome :)
so im going to test, my newly found shot out on the course tomorrow. 🤞

Visit site

I would wear smart shoes but aside from that, don’t worry about a thing.

They will take your clubs and show you around on arrival, point you to the changing rooms etc, I can’t remember if members have a separate changing room.

They do however have separate bars - one of which is members only - and I was told they’d shoot you if you entered it as a visitor or indeed without a jacket and tie 🤣

They were hugely welcoming. Definitely worth forking out for a caddy and tip him accordingly.

Amazing place, as soon as I drove out of the car park I wanted to go back again.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I don't remember a separate clubhouse for visitors. I do remember an excellent post round smoked salmon sandwich and a Guinness sat by a window with a lovely view of the mountains.

Always wear some smart shoes on the basis that you'll never have an issue with them anywhere. :ROFLMAO:

But you know this, I detect some "posh course gloating!" And why not!! :)

Zig

Visit site
I would wear smart shoes but aside from that, don’t worry about a thing.

They will take your clubs and show you around on arrival, point you to the changing rooms etc, I can’t remember if members have a separate changing room.

They do however have separate bars - one of which is members only - and I was told they’d shoot you if you entered it as a visitor or indeed without a jacket and tie 🤣

They were hugely welcoming. Definitely worth forking out for a caddy and tip him accordingly.

Amazing place, as soon as I drove out of the car park I wanted to go back again.
Agree with everything Jonny says...
Separate changing room at the top of the stairs.
Separate bar adjacent.
Does nothing to detract from the experience.
Nothing snooty... would describe it as 'functional'. The building is impressive, and has had a lot of money spent on it (which has made it better for visitors too) It's not the same clubhouse feel as you'd get as some of the older clubhouses, but is hard to fault otherwise. I'd focus on the course rather than the clubhouse.

Not as penal or blind off the tee as people make out.
Aim for the middle of the greens.
The first 16 or so holes are as good as it gets... and the run from 2-12 is exceptional.
Been lucky enough to play there several times over the last 10 years. The bit about wanting to go back after a visit is definitely true!

Enjoy Newcastle too... lovely little town with great places to eat and drink on the sea front.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
First game off the whites at my new club today, very wet and no roll out on the fairways so it was playing long plus some white tees are well back from the yellows, greens were good though given the rain we’ve had.
36 points with a lost ball blob and some silly 1 pointers. Loving my new irons, hitting them really well at the minute, I reckon I’ve gained almost a clubs length from my old set, long may it last…🤣
Played the last two rounds with Stu (Kraxx for the forum) and a couple of members we’ve been paired with, really nice blokes. Looking forward to a great summer of golf 👌

Nice to hear Stu is still around. Say “hi” to him from me.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to the write up (y)
Well, what a great place to play golf. Weather wise, best day since last Thursday.
We got there two hours before our tee time to take it all in. Good practice facilities with driving range so had a good warm up.

Super clubhouse where we had coffee but forgot to pay! But went back after and paid. 🙄

You could see that the course had suffered from the recent poor weather. Some of the fairways had been re- turfed but had knitted in well and didn't detract from the golf.

Really liked the greens, were true and not too quick and probably why I putted so well.

Having a compulsory stop at the halfway hut was a welcome relief! A bit embarrassing as we left our wallets in the car but they said no problem just pay in the Dormie house. Great!

I had two blobs and 14points on the front nine but a much better showing on the back nine. 21 points and no blobs!

We both preferred the back nine which was very picturesque with stunning views! I thought my own course, Pyecombe in Sussex, has great views but not a patch on Gleneagles!

Just a slight niggle, some holes were not signposted and not always obvious where the next tee was.

All in all a great days golf and would love to return one day.
I haven't mentioned my brother as unfortunately he suffered with a poorly back. But he managed to get round and still out drove me a few times and like me thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Golfmmad pleased you enjoyed it, hope your brother managed to enjoy it enough.

Bad signage between holes is a pet hate of mine. So easy to fix 🤷‍♂️

You have to go back, the King's is even better 😍. Today was a taster 😄

We saw the first on the King's and it looked a great opening hole.
Who knows, we may get back one day. Too much for a forum meet! 😂🤣

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
@Golfmmad pleased you enjoyed it, hope your brother managed to enjoy it enough.

Bad signage between holes is a pet hate of mine. So easy to fix 🤷‍♂️

You have to go back, the King's is even better 😍. Today was a taster 😄

I certainly enjoyed it great course and I particularly liked 13/14 and 17 par 3s

Bit of a damper with the back but managed to get around and not spoil the day.

The whole experience was spot on and we were lucky with the weather would love to return and play Queens again also getting a view of the first hole of the Kings made me want to come back E075CDBD-2B00-49F1-B77C-4FA4C78C5D20.jpeg