Golf swing advice in magazines

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is it a waste of time.
I say that because I am on a sun bed reading how different players “bomb “ there drives. There’s a detailed analysis of each players swing Rory, DC, Dustin etc etc. the point is there All different. So hypothetically what’s the point in bombing it like De Chambeau who literally lifts his leading foot of the floor to Rory who don’t. There’s just so much contradictory advice that can surely muddle your brain. One of the pros states “ I was taught to hit it as hard as you can”. Yet I read last year that Dustin don’t hit is as hard or swing as fast as he can coz he loses control.
Am Left with the feeling that there are certain aspects of reading mags and advice on say putting and chipping may help. But doing a piece on different players and how they hit the ball differently, is supposed to be helping the amateur is counter productive.
Thoughts me dear’s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My take with all tuition either in print or online is simple. Thy are providing you with examples on what you may (or not) need to do to get better. However in my experience you can go down rabbit holes and if you want to make any changes, especially based on what you see/read is to discuss with a teaching pro first. A lot of it will do more harm than good or put something else out of kilter. A lot of the tips in magazines are recycled periodically

Tashyboy

Visit site
My take with all tuition either in print or online is simple. Thy are providing you with examples on what you may (or not) need to do to get better. However in my experience you can go down rabbit holes and if you want to make any changes, especially based on what you see/read is to discuss with a teaching pro first. A lot of it will do more harm than good or put something else out of kilter. A lot of the tips in magazines are recycled periodically
I actually thought this but didn’t want to drag out my initial post

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got myself into so many misses trying to change something I've seen in a magazine or on youtube. All I find it does is lead to other parts having to compensate, the change not even being relevant to my swing and game and ends up messing your game up

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They have to fill the space with something. The other good one is “get rid of your slice forever”, but millions of golfers still slice the ball; perhaps they don’t read the articles?

Tashyboy

Visit site
They have to fill the space with something. The other good one is “get rid of your slice forever”, but millions of golfers still slice the ball; perhaps they don’t read the articles?
?
That’s me other holiday read ???

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'd suggest "Golf is not a game of perfect" for the other holiday read! ?

phillarrow

Visit site

Good post. This sums it up really well I reckon. ?

The only thing I would say is that it's best to make a choice - either get lessons and ignore the tips from magazines / YouTube all together OR try out lots of the tips you come across until you find one that works instead of getting lessons.

I'm not saying that the latter is better than the former (it's not!) but some people just don't like going for lessons and there ARE some good tips out there.

After months of searching, I found one that really worked for me in reducing my uncontrollable slice to a workable fade with my driver. It left me with a funky looking and feeling driver setup, but it worked! However, I then had a lesson which resulted in a very different approach to my setup and no longer use that funky one. I understand what to do much better now and can feel what's wrong when it goes wrong... but my old setup WAS functional and DID result in lower scores.

If you're someone who will get lessons, get lessons. If not, play around with the tips you read/see, because they will be tips that can work... just don't try too many at once.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If you believe Jim Hardy there are two fundamental ways of swinging a golf club. One Plane, like Matt Kuchar or Two Plane, like Bubba. Depending on who is giving the advice, they will be teaching one of the two sets of fundamentals. If this method is not the one you use the advice will not only be useless but is likely to make you worse, not better.

Lots of pros teach their own swing rather than teaching the pupil. Those who do it in magazines don't even know who the pupil is.

I ignore all the advice in magazines.

Tashyboy

Visit site
If you believe Jim Hardy there are two fundamental ways of swinging a golf club. One Plane, like Matt Kuchar or Two Plane, like Bubba. Depending on who is giving the advice, they will be teaching one of the two sets of fundamentals. If this method is not the one you use the advice will not only be useless but is likely to make you worse, not better.

Lots of pros teach their own swing rather than teaching the pupil. Those who do it in magazines don't even know who the pupil is.

Morning Bill. Strange thing is, the last book I bought was by Jim Hardy re the two swing planes. Picking up on that point, I wonder if DJ, B De C, Tommy, Rory, Morikawa and Charley all have a 1 or 2 swing plane. Then trying to incorporate any aspect of what they do into my or our own swing could be damaging. I think most of the posts are saying what I thought. ?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are many aspects of my game that have come from lessons and many that have come from books, magazines and videos.

Being selective about what I read and see is my answer.

I have seen many 'this is how to do it' from pros in magazines that totally contradict what others have said. There is no one way to play this came so you need to take what suits you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree about your pro comment which is why if you decide to use one that you seek a good one that is receptive to your input and will also work within your limitations and golfing plans. No point trying to teach a Bubba like swing to someone middle aged like me. Also no point trying to rebuild a swing totally if the client won't practice or just wants to play once a week. Word of mouth is usually a good indicator