Advice sought please

Andylad

Visit site
Hello to you all

Came across the site whilst searching some advice

Been dragged along to golf a few times and now at the young age of 57 have decided to start myself
I sometimes hit the ball on the practice area with a 7 iron, sometimes really high and far others just over there lol

Looking to buy my own set of clubs and someone suggested the T300/T350 said something about they’re very forgiving for a novice

Can anyone here please shed some light and help my way, I’m determined to hit that little white thing more times than I miss it, but I want to hit it properly

A problem I have identified is my left arm bends and I seem to be bending into the swing as opposed to remaining straight and powering through

Again thank you in advance for all and any advice given, and I won’t be one of those whoComes gets advice and gone, I’ll be back time And time again asking questions so please don’t get fed up with me, instead understand I am Keen to learn

Regards all

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
He will point you towards the type you should be getting,
He may have some, or once you know what you are looking for, then golfbidder / flea bay are good options

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No-one really makes bad clubs so it's down to personal taste but as you're not a teenager any more, you might want to try some graphite shafts which may suit you. Better to buy 2nd hand good quality than cheap, new not so good. Stick with Ping, Mizuno, Titleist etc
As for lessons...
First lesson
Learn a good neutral grip
Learn how to stand at the beginning
Learn how to stand at the end
The smoother you swing, the further the ball will go.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On the clubs front I think it depends on whether you're committed to getting into the game or maybe toying with it for a while to see how it goes.
If it's the former then fill yer boots....T300, Mizuno HM, Ping G430 etc etc..not cheap but good quality.
If you're not totally sure then splashing that amount of cash may seem frightening....that's when you look for G400, Apex 19, AP1 type irons on the 2nd hand market.
Get lessons, get a fitting so you have an idea of what you're looking for and hit the Internet.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Definitely wait to see the pro. And stay away from YouTube swing instruction.

As for the clubs. There is nothing wrong with the Titliests. But I would say a full set is unnecessary.

My advice for what it’s worth. Go to Sports Direct and get. A putter, sand wedge, 7 and 9 iron, a 4/5 hybrid and maybe a 5 wood.

That’s all you need to get going. When you can break 100 with those, then think about upgrading.

I would recommend watching Golf Sidekick how to break 100 on YouTube.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a newbie I would highly recommend that you stay off YouTube for any advice (and forums for that matter :ROFLMAO: ) due to the fact that, if you don't know what you are doing wrong, how can you possibly know what to look for in the videos. For example - The ball can go left for a whole lot of reasons, the club face angle, your grip, your stance, the direction of the swing, etc. A Pro will be able to see this and advise on the correct correction. With YouTube you will be guessing and undo the good work you get from lessons.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the lesson but as with any teaching I doubt you’ll retain even 20% of what the teacher says, so don’t feel bad about not being able to consistently replicate what you did on the day in the following practice days until you’ve been over it a few times with them and absorbed enough information

The only tip I’d offer is; I can’t over emphasise how much of a performance killer ‘tension’ is in the golf swing (physical or mental) and ironically a teaching environment with a professional is well suited to create tension on your part, even if it’s only caused by your own desire to swing the club well, so you have to get past this… And I’m not just talking about tension in your fingers/hands. Tension in arms, shoulders, legs… anywhere, even your core will affect the path of the clubface as you swing it

The only reason I offer that one tip is that I think all teaching pros will use the word 'relax' at some point but because its pretty much all happening on the inside it must be one of the toughest 'flaws' for them to see/correct

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per others have the lessons first

Clubs

Irons - buy second hand cavity back any thing to start with or the cheapies from Sports Direct (you will get a whole set for the cost of just one iron from Titleist) and only change when you feel you are playing well enough to warrant the spend.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Crikey Bob, even you must be able to see what you are saying is wrong - and I accept that you are a seasoned pro with much more experience than me.
You can have the perfect swing path, with the optimum angle of attack and every thing else, but if you line up with your feet pointing left (whilst thinking you are straight) the ball will go to the left. As you said earlier, make sure you are stood correctly at the beginning of the shot

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
While I agree it would be nice to have everything perfect it doesn't always work that way.
Aiming left doesn't mean the swingpath will be left or the clubface will point left
How about the slicer, if he aims left, does the ball go left?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While I agree it would be nice to have everything perfect it doesn't always work that way.
Aiming left doesn't mean the swingpath will be left or the clubface will point left
How about the slicer, if he aims left, does the ball go left?
Which is why I am saying that the OP should stay away from YT and stick to a Pro watching his swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And I'm saying a good pro doesn't always need to see the swing to help.
A few questions on the ball flight is all that's needed to tell what's going on.