Plumbing advice please

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just looking for some advice please

I'm going to replace some old radiators that are imperial to metric sizes. The new ones are much wider than the old current ones so the water connections are not going to line up properly and I'm also going to need to use some extenders to bridge the gap of the radiator width which I've done before.

So that the in, and out, pipes line up better for attaching I was wondering whether to turn the water pipe connectors to the radiator, in towards the room (45°), then put on a 90° steel/ metal compression joint to the radiator which may get the connections pretty spot on. I'm wondering if there is likely to be any problems with doing this or any better DIY ideas

Any good advice would be helpful thanks

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looking for some advice please

I'm going to replace some old radiators that are imperial to metric sizes. The new ones are much wider than the old current ones so the water connections are not going to line up properly and I'm also going to need to use some extenders to bridge the gap of the radiator width which I've done before.

So that the in, and out, pipes line up better for attaching I was wondering whether to turn the water pipe connectors to the radiator, in towards the room (45°), then put on a 90° steel/ metal compression joint to the radiator which may get the connections pretty spot on. I'm wondering if there is likely to be any problems with doing this or any better DIY ideas

Any good advice would be helpful thanks
Cant you slot the floor at both sides there might be a bit of play with the popes, or make small hatches to re-route the pipes.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Cant you slot the floor at both sides there might be a bit of play with the popes, or make small hatches to re-route the pipes.
Upstairs I can, but not downstairs. We did one upstairs on Saturday but it still has more pressure on the pipe than I'd ideally like as it was a tight fit

Thanks though

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about running a small piece of Hep20 or the like (plastic pipe) from the radiator end fitting to the existing pipe under the boards?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The questions I would ask

Is have you bought the radiators already?

If not, did you recheck the sizes required re thermal output?

I am bit surprised that newer radiators need to be bigger than the old ones give how much more efficient new rads are.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The questions I would ask

Is have you bought the radiators already?

If not, did you recheck the sizes required re thermal output?

I am bit surprised that newer radiators need to be bigger than the old ones give how much more efficient new rads are.
Yes I bought them already. I bought bigger ones simply because the house feels cold in he winter

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What about running a small piece of Hep20 or the like (plastic pipe) from the radiator end fitting to the existing pipe under the boards?
I can't do anything downstairs to the boards as they are everywhere bar the kitchen and I'd not want to disturb them. Upstairs I could lift the carpet to get at the flooring

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is what Hep20 is, flexible plastic piping. You should be able to use it anywhere after about 6 ft from the boiler I belive.
Not sure about building reg in England, but most new builds I have been in in Scotland have pex running to all the radiators, mainly so they can hide them behind the walls, bring them out of a patch hole behind the panel and connect them up with minimal visible pipe.

My mate's house is done like this and we were changing his bathroom about and the radiator became a total nightmare as the pipe was in the wall rather than under the floor, where it would have been easier to re-route by just lifting the floor panels. Bathroom rejig then was defined by the radiator having to stay where it was.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not sure about building reg in England, but most new builds I have been in in Scotland have pex running to all the radiators, mainly so they can hide them behind the walls, bring them out of a patch hole behind the panel and connect them up with minimal visible pipe.

My mate's house is done like this and we were changing his bathroom about and the radiator became a total nightmare as the pipe was in the wall rather than under the floor, where it would have been easier to re-route by just lifting the floor panels. Bathroom rejig then was defined by the radiator having to stay where it was.
Another issue that seems to have arisen about these plastic pipes. From our local Facebook page.

Contacted Scottish Gas who had sent a letter a few weeks ago advertising their heat pump installation scheme and incentives.

In short:

• they said you need copper pipes at least 15mm to your radiators because heat pumps operate at lower flow so need bigger pipes.
  • mine are flexi plastic pipes 10mm so all would need replaced. I would imagine most houses in our estate would be the same position
  • cost estimate roughly £13k ,that includes the government grant of £7.5k)
  • told me while a bit more efficient you’ll not save much over an efficient gas boiler.
  • Since heat pumps operate at a lower temp it can take longer to heat your house and you may need bigger radiators to compensate.
I was thinking of looking at heat pumps but it looks like it's not going to work in our house.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another issue that seems to have arisen about these plastic pipes. From our local Facebook page.

Contacted Scottish Gas who had sent a letter a few weeks ago advertising their heat pump installation scheme and incentives.

In short:

• they said you need copper pipes at least 15mm to your radiators because heat pumps operate at lower flow so need bigger pipes.
  • mine are flexi plastic pipes 10mm so all would need replaced. I would imagine most houses in our estate would be the same position
  • cost estimate roughly £13k ,that includes the government grant of £7.5k)
  • told me while a bit more efficient you’ll not save much over an efficient gas boiler.
  • Since heat pumps operate at a lower temp it can take longer to heat your house and you may need bigger radiators to compensate.
I was thinking of looking at heat pumps but it looks like it's not going to work in our house.
I know Hep20 comes in 15mm pipe, as you can join it straight onto 15mm copper. The inside diameter may be a fraction less than copper, but it has less resistance to fluid flow so is better.
I used to know a fairly high up sales chap with Hepworths so know about Hep20;)