Northumberland - advice please

The Fader

Visit site
I have booked a 5 day trip to Northumberland in July staying in Alnwick.

I have 8 potential courses on my list and with a few other things I want to do, I will probably struggle to fit them all in.

Goswick
Bamburgh
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Alnmouth
Alnwick Village
Warkworth
Newbiggin

The first two are definites. After that I'm not too sure which to prioritise.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Also if I am missing a course in the area I shouldn't miss - please throw them into the mix!

Thanks in advance.

evemccc

Visit site

I have 8 potential courses on my list and with a few other things I want to do, I will probably struggle to fit them all in.

Goswick
Bamburgh
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Alnmouth
Alnwick Village
Warkworth
Newbiggin

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Also if I am missing a course in the area I shouldn't miss - please throw them into the mix!

Thanks in advance.

Others would know more, but I am pretty sure it’s Alnmouth Village (9 hole links)?

Only ever heard good things about Eyemouth (just across the border)

The Fader

Visit site
Others would know more, but I am pretty sure it’s Alnmouth Village (9 hole links)?

Only ever heard good things about Eyemouth (just across the border)

Quite right - got my Alnmouth and Alnwick mixed up!

Should I be adding Alnwick Castle to my list?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Never played it myself, but it is only 30 miles from Alnwick. Magdalene Fields, Berwick-Upon-Tweed is England's most northerly course.

If you are playing golf on all 5 days, you won't have time for Alnwick Castle - it requires a full day to justify the fee to see the castle, gardens and the military museum.

Cragside at Rothbury is another great day out.

But we really need to keep quiet about how great Northumberland is as a holiday destination. Don't want it getting overcrowded and expensive like Cornwall.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Goswick
Bamburgh
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Alnmouth
Alnwick Village
Warkworth
Newbiggin

Thanks in advance.

If goswick and Bamburgh are defenites, then I'd rate the remaining like this...

Alnmouth - Foxton hall
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Newbiggin
Alnmouth village
Warkworth...only 1 that I've not played

If you're staying at Alnwick
Not too much to travel to
Morpeth, Longhirst Hall to name but 2 more, all similar distance to those you've listed above

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I would say that Alnmouth (Foxton Hall) is streets ahead of the rest, in cost as well, unfortunately. I play there quite often with two friends who are members there & it's always in excellent condition. The clubhouse facilities are great, the meals are reasonably priced & excellent. The Village course is only 9 holes & not in the same class. Lord Tyrion was a member there, he'll tell you about it. Newbiggin is a fun links course, a bit bleak & not in the same condition as Foxton. However, being links, it will be immune to wet conditions.

You'd enjoy Dunstanburgh too, another nice links. If you go there, visit the Cook & Barker pub afterwards. It's just down the road off the A1 at Newton on the Moor & serves delicious meals & real ale. We always go there after the Senior Open at Dunstanburgh.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The first 5 on your list are the ones to play if you are constrained by time.

Newbiggin is ok but nowhere as good as those 5.

For non-golf activities, Northumberland has stunning beaches. The beach walk from Bamburgh to Seahouses is lovely, as is Budle Bay. Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle is a nice easy walk as well. If you get a wet day, Bamburgh Castle is a good way to spend a few hours, as is Cragside.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eyemouth is amazing. You must play off whites for the full experience. Or just do it for hole 5 and 13 (whichever is the longest hole). Magdalene fields is good too.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Warkworth and the village are both good for an evening 9 holes, nothing more really.

Warkworth is an old tom morris design, but not worthy of being the 'main' course for a day.

Magdalene fields isnt in the class of Alnmouth, Dunstanburgh or Seahouses.

I'd play Alnmouth (Foxton), Dunstanburgh and Seahouses, and if I had a spare couple hours on an evening I'd play Warkworth for quirky old fashioned weirdness. If i had a spare couple of hours on two evenings I'd add in the village for double quirky old fashioned wierdness...

Enjoy the trip!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Of the ones I've played it is easily Goswick, Dunstanburgh, Alnmouth...................Newbiggin, in that order with Goswick easily first and Newbiggin very last.

Of the rest of the list I would like to play Bamburgh then Seahouses, the other two I'm not bothered about.

To consider, Eyemouth.

I assume you already have accommodation. If not I highly recommend the Bamburgh Castle inn in Seahouses, then you are right across the road from The Olde Ship Inn.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Following with interest. I am heading there at the end of May for a long weekend with the misses, we are not going as far up though staying in Ashington this time, hoping I will be able to sneak off for a game or two, my list includes;
in no particular order, Newbiggin, Blyth, Bedlingtonshire, Longhirst Hall (Lakes) and Morpeth, all very local trying to limit the time I will be away and I have played some of the courses further north along with the fact we will no doubt be returning again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd echo the above points and agree with the order that @moogie gave. The only one I would disagree with is Newbiggin. I really didn't enjoy playing there so I would put it at the bottom. That might just be me though :D.

Alnwick has been mentioned. It is okay but there are others ahead of it in your list so I would not rush to play it. You can generally get on for a bargain so I would hold it in reserve in case any of the others are not available.

Alnmouth Village is a fun 9 holer with some lovely views. Holiday makers walking on the course can get irriitating in summer though so I would suggest leaving it this time. It is a brilliant winter course, good greens, sand based, so hold that back for future trips.

One not mentioned, Bedlingtonshire. It's too long for me but if you hit a big ball then it is a very good course, friendly people and clubhouse.

Another not mentioned, technically not Northumberland, Whitley Bay. Really nice course, well worth playing.