Northumberland - advice please

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following with interest. I am heading there at the end of May for a long weekend with the misses, we are not going as far up though staying in Ashington this time, hoping I will be able to sneak off for a game or two, my list includes;
in no particular order, Newbiggin, Blyth, Bedlingtonshire, Longhirst Hall (Lakes) and Morpeth, all very local trying to limit the time I will be away and I have played some of the courses further north along with the fact we will no doubt be returning again.
What did you do wrong to get that punishment? 😄

Blyth is a very honest course, I like it. Not flash but enjoyable to play.

If you play Longhirst, The Lakes, take plenty of balls. The damn place eats them.

Personally, I'd play Blyth and Bedlingtonshire out of that group, Morpeth next.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I may well now be getting an idea of why the accommodation was so reasonably priced. :ROFLMAO:

It's a weekend away, we will make the most of it, many thanks for the info. (y)
No problem. If you are wanting a night out, go into Morpeth. Just a few miles away, better pubs, places to eat etc, all in the centre. There can be some pubs out on the outskirts of Ashington that are fine but the centre is grim.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Foxton Hall aka Alnmouth we loved, parkland Course with a few holes that resemble a links course. Gorgeous. Also loved
Bamburgh but as mentioned, plenty of blind shots but the views are stunning.
I just love seahouses as a cheap and cheerful course. Some of the holes are stunning.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have booked a 5 day trip to Northumberland in July staying in Alnwick.

I have 8 potential courses on my list and with a few other things I want to do, I will probably struggle to fit them all in.

Goswick
Bamburgh
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Alnmouth
Alnwick Village
Warkworth
Newbiggin

The first two are definites. After that I'm not too sure which to prioritise.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Also if I am missing a course in the area I shouldn't miss - please throw them into the mix!

Thanks in advance.
Depend how many rounds you want to play really

Goswick 1
Bamburgh 3
Dunstanburgh 2
Seahouses 5
Alnmouth 4 (lunch and pm)
almouth Village 4(am)
Warkworth not played
Newbiggin 6 (industrial links). Share Tyrion’s view. Mostly a Flat field and better holes are blind shots unfortunately.

Can’t say I’d swap anything out from that list for another course.

I have 8 potential courses on my list and with a few other things I want to do, I will probably struggle to fit them all in.

Goswick
Bamburgh
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Alnmouth
Alnwick Village
Warkworth
Newbiggin

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Also if I am missing a course in the area I shouldn't miss - please throw them into the mix!

Thanks in advance.
Depends how many games you are planning but my order would be

Goswick 1
Bamburgh 3
Dunstanburgh 2
Seahouses 5
Alnmouth 4 (lunch and pm)
Alnmouth Village 4 (am)
Warkworth not played
Newbiggin 6

I wouldn’t swap any other courses in to be fair and I agreed with Tyrion. Newbiggin is a bit industrialised around it, with the course being very open and flat. The better holes are unfortunately blind shots so you don’t really appreciate them.

the only thing with Goswick is check if you need to play off mats as they protect the fairways for the open qualifiers. If you can drop to the side the. That is more than ok.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Warkworth and the village are both good for an evening 9 holes, nothing more really.

Warkworth is an old tom morris design, but not worthy of being the 'main' course for a day.

Magdalene fields isnt in the class of Alnmouth, Dunstanburgh or Seahouses.

I'd play Alnmouth (Foxton), Dunstanburgh and Seahouses, and if I had a spare couple hours on an evening I'd play Warkworth for quirky old fashioned weirdness. If i had a spare couple of hours on two evenings I'd add in the village for double quirky old fashioned wierdness...

Enjoy the trip!
I'm heading to Warkworth for a wee break with the dog in July. Sadly, won't have time for golf.
Playing Goswick in their open a week on Sunday. Love it there.
Played South Shields recently. Not many courses offer such great hospitality. Lovely course too.
I play Eyemouth regularly. Great fun, plenty great holes but 3 or 4 poor ones. Fantastic fresh fish (lots of choice) in the clubhouse. A very tough walk in a couple of places.

DixieKim

Visit site

Goswick
Bamburgh
Dunstanburgh
Seahouses
Alnmouth
Alnwick Village
Warkworth
Newbiggin

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Also if I am missing a course in the area I shouldn't miss - please throw them into the Ask AI ChatGPT Mod APK!
an application to chat and communicate between you and Chat GPT through artificial intelligence
Thanks in advance.
Of the remaining courses on your list, here are some thoughts:

Dunstanburgh is a beautiful course that offers stunning views of the North Sea. It's a bit of a drive from Alnwick, but well worth it if you have the time.
Seahouses is another great option, with a challenging course that's well-maintained. Plus, the coastal location makes for some spectacular scenery.
Alnmouth is a lovely course set amidst the sand dunes, with plenty of challenges for golfers of all skill levels.
Alnwick Village Golf Club is a short but enjoyable course that's perfect for a quick round. If you're pressed for time, this could be a good choice.
Warkworth is a picturesque course with some interesting holes and a friendly atmosphere.
Newbiggin is a bit further afield, but it's a well-regarded course with great views and some tough challenges.
thank you

Last edited:

Skytot

Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread but no point in a fresh one . I’m on holiday in Northumberland in September. Wanted to play at Almouth in the 4BBB but I’m Billy no mates ( I might ask to be put on the reserved list ) . But there’s a Singles senior open at Allendale only £10 . Anyone played it ? Any good ? The nearest course to where I’m staying is Seahouses so I might play the £20 evening rate ..
PS , if anyone fancies partnering up on 14/9 for the Almouth Senior Open let me know .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Skytot sadly I don't qualify for seniors at Alnmouth. I'd ring the club, very friendly in the pro shop, and ask if they can pair you up with someone. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an equivalent in the same position.

Allendale is meh and a hike from where you are, I wouldn't choose there. Seahouses or Dunstanburgh would be a much better bet near to you.

Hopefully someone from here can help for alnmouth, that would be a nice one for you.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread but no point in a fresh one . I’m on holiday in Northumberland in September. Wanted to play at Almouth in the 4BBB but I’m Billy no mates ( I might ask to be put on the reserved list ) . But there’s a Singles senior open at Allendale only £10 . Anyone played it ? Any good ? The nearest course to where I’m staying is Seahouses so I might play the £20 evening rate ..
PS , if anyone fancies partnering up on 14/9 for the Almouth Senior Open let me know .

Allendale, is that the 9 holer you go around twice from different tees? Played there a couple of years ago, it's very quirky and we enjoyed it but the greens were very poor.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Allendale, is that the 9 holer you go around twice from different tees? Played there a couple of years ago, it's very quirky and we enjoyed it but the greens were very poor.

It sure is

But if staying near Seahouses area
Then it'd be one hell of a drive for Allendale, which just wouldn't be worth it being honest

Not 1 that you'd travel that far to go play

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It sure is

But if staying near Seahouses area
Then it'd be one hell of a drive for Allendale, which just wouldn't be worth it being honest

Not 1 that you'd travel that far to go play

Yeah it took me and my mate and age to get there and we live about as far west in Gateshead as you can get lol.

Skytot

Visit site
@Skytot sadly I don't qualify for seniors at Alnmouth. I'd ring the club, very friendly in the pro shop, and ask if they can pair you up with someone. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an equivalent in the same position.

Allendale is meh and a hike from where you are, I wouldn't choose there. Seahouses or Dunstanburgh would be a much better bet near to you.

Hopefully someone from here can help for alnmouth, that would be a nice one for you.
Thanks , I did ring the pro shop but no one was answering, so I spoke to the office who deal in society booking but wasn’t that helpful, said I need to book online but that option is only for doubles. I will give the pro shop another try . Failing that I will play Seahouses in the late afternoon .

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks , I did ring the pro shop but no one was answering, so I spoke to the office who deal in society booking but wasn’t that helpful, said I need to book online but that option is only for doubles. I will give the pro shop another try . Failing that I will play Seahouses in the late afternoon .
Have you tried golfnow? you can usually pick up some good deals, especially if you are flexible with your times.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Offices frequently are unhelpful, aren't they? Very odd. The pro may have been getting a coffee, giving a lesson or similar. It is rare for them to be shut for long. Worth another ring but Seahouses wouldn't be a hardship.