Junior running advice please.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So young Bradley Tash. He is nine years old and a month ago I took him to the local running club. Bottom line, he loved it. Now the guy who trains the kids, I knew him from a couple of decades ago. His son was in the same year and class as Bradley’s mum. My daughter. The trainers son has run for Scotland at the commonwealth games. Anyway he was straight to the point. Three sessions are free then you are expected to join the club. Not only that but race and represent the club.. He said “ we are not here to keep kids fit for football”. Now initially there was a problem because the races ( one a month) are on a Sunday morning, when he plays football. ? However he did say ” there are other races midweek and Saturdays so as long as he goes to some of them then he is ok to carry on”. I was chuffed to bits but can I hack as find when these other running dates are. But that’s not the problem.
Whilst perusing the rules re the races, it states “ the runner must be 9 hrs old on the day of the race” that is the lowest age group for running. here is the problem.
Young Bradley Tash, his sister is Young Layla Tash. She just loves running, she runs like the wind. At Bradley’s first training session which lasts an hour, she ran around the outside of the 400m track 5 times and around the track once when training had done. It was a minimum of 3000m. She is gutted she cannot join. She is seven next month. Now the races you have to be 9 but surely you train before you are 9 to have your first race. So when does she start. Now I was talking to a parent who said “ they lose loads of kids to football” so they have a chance of getting a kid into running but her age is an issue.
Now I am fully aware of child development and over training, exertion etc etc. but she does football training, Martial arts and swimming to an excellent standard for a six yr old. Bradley is 9 and has his 800 m badge. They both love sports. It

So what is the best way to get Layla into running and preferably with her brother.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Parkrun. You need to be 4 years old and with a grown up if under 11.
Saturday 9am for 5k, or Sunday at 9am for 2k junior parkrun.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think as per PM, it’s one for PJ. My kids are not interested, keep it fun though. Oh and look for quad kids. My triathlon club have a kids section and they train and compete a lot, I know when they are younger they do quad kids…

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reply sent
As I said to Tash what a great read.
Getting kids into sport,whatever sport is just amazing for them.
Team sports build friendships that last forever.
Individual sports can be very hard and lonely so I would definitely advise team or group training,but everyone is different.
Parkrun kids as mentioned at that age is perfect,but gently.
Don’t be one of those mums or dads who thinks the parkrun is the Olympics.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Reply sent
As I said to Tash what a great read.
Getting kids into sport,whatever sport is just amazing for them.
Team sports build friendships that last forever.
Individual sports can be very hard and lonely so I would definitely advise team or group training,but everyone is different.
Parkrun kids as mentioned at that age is perfect,but gently.
Don’t be one of those mums or dads who thinks the parkrun is the Olympics.
Thanks for the PMS boys. ?

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
So young Bradley Tash. He is nine years old and a month ago I took him to the local running club. Bottom line, he loved it. Now the guy who trains the kids, I knew him from a couple of decades ago. His son was in the same year and class as Bradley’s mum. My daughter. The trainers son has run for Scotland at the commonwealth games. Anyway he was straight to the point. Three sessions are free then you are expected to join the club. Not only that but race and represent the club.. He said “ we are not here to keep kids fit for football”. Now initially there was a problem because the races ( one a month) are on a Sunday morning, when he plays football. ? However he did say ” there are other races midweek and Saturdays so as long as he goes to some of them then he is ok to carry on”. I was chuffed to bits but can I hack as find when these other running dates are. But that’s not the problem.
Whilst perusing the rules re the races, it states “ the runner must be 9 hrs old on the day of the race” that is the lowest age group for running. here is the problem.
Young Bradley Tash, his sister is Young Layla Tash. She just loves running, she runs like the wind. At Bradley’s first training session which lasts an hour, she ran around the outside of the 400m track 5 times and around the track once when training had done. It was a minimum of 3000m. She is gutted she cannot join. She is seven next month. Now the races you have to be 9 but surely you train before you are 9 to have your first race. So when does she start. Now I was talking to a parent who said “ they lose loads of kids to football” so they have a chance of getting a kid into running but her age is an issue.
Now I am fully aware of child development and over training, exertion etc etc. but she does football training, Martial arts and swimming to an excellent standard for a six yr old. Bradley is 9 and has his 800 m badge. They both love sports. It

So what is the best way to get Layla into running and preferably with her brother.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

That's a bit too young though isn't it?:unsure:o_O:eek:;)

Tashyboy

Visit site
That's a bit too young though isn't it?:unsure:o_O:eek:;)
To be honest I don’t know. The races are limited to 1500 m and am sure he runs more than that at football and certainly during training they do. Yet the 9 yr age limit is what all the clubs agree on.