TV remote control help please

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just got my hands on a Humax Aura 2TB set top box which has a fancy remote control which is brilliant.
Apparently it's linked to the box and does not need line of sight (IR) to work.
I now have 3 remotes which are all IR and one new RF one and I was wondering if I could get a ''learning remote'' which uses RF or bluetooth/wifi whatever.
Does anyone have such a thing please?
Thanks.
(Budget under £40 as I'm practically an OAP)

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I must have misunderstood.
The way it's worded it seems that you are hoping to get a RF learning remote that will replace your IR remotes.
Clearly that cannot work.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I must have misunderstood.
The way it's worded it seems that you are hoping to get a RF learning remote that will replace your IR remotes.
Clearly that cannot work.
That's what I was hoping to do. 🙁
I do have an old learning remote which I will dig out and use that to replace the other IR remotes. At least then I'll only have two.
Thanks for your advice

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you think about it, the devices that have an IR remote will be expecting to receive their commands via IR.
They won't have RF receivers, so cannot be controlled by a RF remote.

There are RF/IR blaster hubs out there, which would enable you to control all your devices.
But from what I've seen, they tend to be operated over WiFi via an app on a smart phone.
So basically your smart phone replaces all of your remotes (both IR and RF). Here's an example of such a device:
Note that a hub like this needs line-of-sight to all your IR devices.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont really want to use my mobile phone...I don't know where it is half the time and it's normally flat when I do find it but thanks again.
I completely understand. I'm also not a fan of doing everything with apps. Still have multiple remotes.

Last time I had a learning remote to try and consolidate them all, switching it between modes and trying to remember what buttons did what for each device was more of a headache than just having loads of remotes scattered about.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I completely understand. I'm also not a fan of doing everything with apps. Still have multiple remotes.

Last time I had a learning remote to try and consolidate them all, switching it between modes and trying to remember what buttons did what for each device was more of a headache than just having loads of remotes scattered about.
That's the very reason the learning remote went in the loft.😁
Now that you've confirmed that I cant do what I wanted to do, I'll give the learning remote another go.
What can possibly go wrong.
I had nothing else planned for today anyway ☔