How long is a piece of string ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I need some advice on choosing a new combi boiler please.
My Worcester combi boiler has finally turned its toes up so looking for a replacement.
I was going to go with a Worcester Greenstar but the Ideal Vogue 26 has been suggested.
Does anyone have any experience with either boilers please?
2 bedroom, one bathroom bungalow with 5 radiators
Thanks

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I need some advice on choosing a new combi boiler please.
My Worcester combi boiler has finally turned its toes up so looking for a replacement.
I was going to go with a Worcester Greenstar but the Ideal Vogue 26 has been suggested.
Does anyone have any experience with either boilers please?
2 bedroom, one bathroom bungalow with 5 radiators
Thanks

I've got a greenstar - good bit of kit and I always trust Worcester boilers.... I do know a few guys that make them though :ROFLMAO:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
From our resident man who knows what he's talking about with boilers ;)

Hi mate

BG price is excessively high. They use subbies to do the work so your paying BG prices for contractors to do the work.

I'd be looking around £2.6k tops.

Also I'd go with a Baxi 825 boiler or Vaillant 625. 10yrs parts and labour next day warranty on the baxi for registered baxi installers and 7yr for the Vaillant. For me Worcester boilers are overpriced and usually offer a lesser warranty.

I'd recommend getting a few local traders in to quote, I'd expect you'd be saving the best part of £600+ going this way.

If you need anymore advice give us a pm.

Stu

Edit; added the original post for context;

Just had a quote from British gas for this.
Price includes, radiator power flush, (10), magnetic filter, hive controls plus an Alexa subject to availability. It's a pressure system, boiler in loft. They're going to run pipes in to airing cupboard to vent system plus a guage to read pressure. This will be much easier as existing pressure control is in loft.

The old boiler is 17 years old, Alpha which is a D rated one.
New one would be a Worcester Bosch and A rated.
All this for £3468.
What do you heating experts think, StuC etc.
Thanks.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got a greenstar - good bit of kit and I always trust Worcester boilers.... I do know a few guys that make them though :ROFLMAO:

Thanks.
The old boiler is over 21 years old so it's not done bad. The guy who came round will give me 2 quotes, one repair and one replace. I will be getting other quotes obviously.
Edit...
just got a call.....
Repair £250
Replacement £2850
Decisions decisions

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thanks.
The old boiler is over 21 years old so it's not done bad. The guy who came round will give me 2 quotes, one repair and one replace. I will be getting other quotes obviously.
Edit...
just got a call.....
Repair £250
Replacement £2850
Decisions decisions

I think my replacement - and moving the boiler too - cost me about 2.6k 2 years ago

With inflation Id imagine that's quite competitive?

British Gas were quoting us about 7.5k for the same job back then though! Wanted to hire scaffolding and all sorts!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
my mate serviced mine a few weeks ago, we are planning on upgrading soon and he said NOT ideal. (thats what we have now and its not good..)

Like Stu, he suggested Valiant.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
my mate serviced mine a few weeks ago, we are planning on upgrading soon and he said NOT ideal. (thats what we have now and its not good..)

Like Stu, he suggested Valiant.

Vaillant have a good service program available online and a fixed price repair service which I used the last time we had issues; highly recommended for those who don’t have a mate to do it ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Vaillant have a good service program available online and a fixed price repair service which I used the last time we had issues; highly recommended for those who don’t have a mate to do it ?

Just be grateful you dont have an oil boiler, the intake of breath before quoting for service/repairs is a sight to behold :(

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks.
Edit...
just got a call.....
Repair £250
Replacement £2850
Decisions decisions
It doesn't seem too bad, it's only a couple hundred more than our replacement from 2020. We had a Worcester 2000 30 combi fitted and 1 radiator replaced. Our system has 6 radiators.
The first place quoted us £8,000 and warned it could be more if we needed scaffolding...
I suspect it will be the last gas boiler our property will have considering the governments push to move away from gas boilers.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a Baxi 825 and it’s been superb. Fitted in 2019 for £2500 in a 4 bed detached with 10 radiators and running the hot water on demand system it hasn’t missed a beat.

Water and CH set to 50 degrees.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
we had an Alpha fitted last year as my frined who's a gas engineer is a recommended fitter for them and so far its been great

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Viessman

And, don't get the Nest system, the thermostat is fine, but the thingmy it talks to fails, had engineer in from BOXT at weekend who have the contract to replace dodgy Nest systems, and says you get 18 months to 2 years and done, so you'll be forever getting a new one.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I watched a Youtube video that asked 100 boiler engineers which was their favourite boiler and the Ideal Vogue Max came out on top by a long way, it also has a 12 year guarantee.
Decision made.
Thanks for all the advice.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When we changed maybe 3 yrs ago the recommendation we got from the service engineer was Vailant, much easier and less costly to service he said than our previous Worcester Bosch Greenstar.

And to date had no issues whatsoever with it.