Radiators.. buying advice

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are putting underfloor heating in the extension. it is a large space, and to ensure that we have some heat during a cold snap, we are going to put some rads in. Rather than putting horizontal ones, I am looking to put some vertical ones (we have plenty of height as it is a vaulted ceiling). From those in the trade, any good sources that i should look out from

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are putting underfloor heating in the extension. it is a large space, and to ensure that we have some heat during a cold snap, we are going to put some rads in. Rather than putting horizontal ones, I am looking to put some vertical ones (we have plenty of height as it is a vaulted ceiling). From those in the trade, any good sources that i should look out from

Not in the trade but have always used Trade Radiators for any I’ve bought. We have vertical rads in 4 rooms and they are decent.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not in the trade but have always used Trade Radiators for any I’ve bought. We have vertical rads in 4 rooms and they are decent.
i am on their website.. i had never heard of them before (but i dont buy rads everyday).... got there via google... you reckon good?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
i am on their website.. i had never heard of them before (but i dont buy rads everyday).... got there via google... you reckon good?
I've bought several and always had good service and high quality products. I had to replace all of the rads in this house when we moved in. I went room by room and each one was supplied by Trade Radiators (and all their "own brand").

We have these ones in the living room (x2), son's games room and bedroom and the main bedroom.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm starting the process of getting all of the radiators in our house replaced. I've only ever seen vertical radiators in the form of chrome towel rails in bathrooms. What are the advantages of vertical radiators compared to horizontal ones?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm starting the process of getting all of the radiators in our house replaced. I've only ever seen vertical radiators in the form of chrome towel rails in bathrooms. What are the advantages of vertical radiators compared to horizontal ones?

Same here.... but in our extension, we have got high ceiling as it is vaulted. So instead of going horizontal, i can put it vertical. Very similar BTU output (if not better). The rads I am looking at are 1800-2000 mm tall, so fairly big. I can therefore make it narrower allowing more furniture against the wall..

(atleast that is the thinking)

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

In our case it meant that the horizontal footprint of the radiator was a lot narrower, the 478mm replaced a 1200mm panel meaning that I could install a unit that previously didn’t fit. Heat output os just as good.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've bought several and always had good service and high quality products. I had to replace all of the rads in this house when we moved in. I went room by room and each one was supplied by Trade Radiators (and all their "own brand").

We have these ones in the living room (x2), son's games room and bedroom and the main bedroom.

We have this style through the entire house (horizontally) with verticals in the hall way and dinning room.

While they look nice, they definitely do not convect the heat as we as a traditional double panel double convector unit. (Which are available in verticals also)

In the next house if we renovate again I’d go back to double panel double convectors (potentially single panel in bedrooms)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have two types in my house, both put in due to space constrictions.

One is a flat panel and the other traditional vertical column style.

I think the latter works better than the former but it could be because of their relative positions in the heating system. However I am with Oddsocks I think size for size standard panel convectors work better.

Working on my own the flat panel was a bit of b to mount on the wall.

I used

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Same here.... but in our extension, we have got high ceiling as it is vaulted. So instead of going horizontal, i can put it vertical. Very similar BTU output (if not better). The rads I am looking at are 1800-2000 cm tall, so fairly big. I can therefore make it narrower allowing more furniture against the wall..

(atleast that is the thinking)
Yes, you must have high ceilings to accommodate 60 foot rads!