What’s you involvement in the rules?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Seem to be clutching at straws a bit there. Sounds like an unlikely set of events. Usually somebody knows enough to get the right outcome, or close enough that nothing is gained or lost.

That scenario is not really one I'd lose sleep over. If someone rolls it out of a plugged hole instead of taking a club length they're probably only harming their chances if anything. It's much of a muchness. I mean, say you're not sure whether the relief you get is one or two club-lengths - rather than waste time looking it up, I'd probably just stick to one club-length to be on the safe side, no harm done, and get on with it.

Oh god... you're at it again! :ROFLMAO:

Not sure about a club length from a plugged ball....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"May adopt a local rule"

What if a club doesnt adopt it?

"in an area cut to fairway height or less"

So not the rough?

Just to be clear - my place will let you unplug a ball in the fairway but in the rough you get what you're given!

The club does not adopt the rule it is a rule of golf

However

Are you saying your club has adopted the allowable local rule limiting relief to area of closely mown (MLR F-2) or is it that they have simply still got the old rule (pre 2019) in place and not seen the change in the 2019 rules?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
"May adopt a local rule"

What if a club doesnt adopt it?

"in an area cut to fairway height or less"

So not the rough?

Just to be clear - my place will let you unplug a ball in the fairway but in the rough you get what you're given!
Think you may be getting your wires crossed?
Relief for embedded ball is normally allowed throughout the general area. But, the committee - if they choose - can restrict this to just areas cut to fairway height (by using the local rule). So if the club doesn't adopt the rule, then it's business as usual. So Orikoru is correct, and it sounds like your club has chosen to adopt the rule to keep the relief on fairways only
(Beaten by Jim8flog)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Seem to be clutching at straws a bit there. Sounds like an unlikely set of events. Usually somebody knows enough to get the right outcome, or close enough that nothing is gained or lost.

That scenario is not really one I'd lose sleep over. If someone rolls it out of a plugged hole instead of taking a club length they're probably only harming their chances if anything. It's much of a muchness. I mean, say you're not sure whether the relief you get is one or two club-lengths - rather than waste time looking it up, I'd probably just stick to one club-length to be on the safe side, no harm done, and get on with it.

I don't feel "I'm clutching at straws" I've played golf for the best part of 30 years, played in hundreds of competitions of all kinds and encountered many scenarios where all the players in a group clearly do not know a fraction of the rule book.

As I posted before, if you say "we take a consensus " you would not need to do that if one of your group (usually having no more than 4 players) is certain of the rule and experience tells me that "consensus" happens probably more than you think. - I'm not pointing the finger at you or anyone in particular .

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The club does not adopt the rule it is a rule of golf

However

Are you saying your club has adopted the allowable local rule limiting relief to area of closely mown (MLR F-2) or is it that they have simply still got the old rule (pre 2019) in place and not seen the change in the 2019 rules?

Not a clue if I’m honest. I’m just buzzing to get relief ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
When I retired early, I was looking to get a little more involved with golf administration. I was already the Competition Secretary at the club, and my County Union was looking to sponsor volunteers to take the Level 2 exam and become a county referee. So off I trotted to Woodhall Spa, managed to scrape through the exam and have been refereeing now for 10 years. Mostly County Stuff but also Regional and England Golf Tournaments when held locally.

DickInShorts

Visit site
Just a keen player who likes to play by the rules so keep a keen eye on here.

Think the most common rule break is probably mates in a medal discussing what club they are going to hit the next shot with! I advise them to be careful as it’s a penalty fir both of them to give or ask for advice,

Swango1980

Visit site
Just a keen player who likes to play by the rules so keep a keen eye on here.

Think the most common rule break is probably mates in a medal discussing what club they are going to hit the next shot with! I advise them to be careful as it’s a penalty fir both of them to give or ask for advice,
Maybe the most common rule break, and the most common rule that is never enforced? Has anyone here ever given, or seen anyone given a penalty for such a situation, out of interest?

D-S

Visit site
Maybe the most common rule break, and the most common rule that is never enforced? Has anyone here ever given, or seen anyone given a penalty for such a situation, out of interest?
I’ve never seen a penalty, just the odd friendly warning followed by incredulity that the rule is exists or has ever been enforced.

IanMcC

Visit site
I am M&H Secretary at my club. I am keen to sit the Level 2 Rules Exam, but places on these courses are very few and far between. There has been one course advertised within 200 miles of my home in North Wales in the past 3 years, and when I applied to the organiser, on the day it appeared on the R&A site, he said it was full. I have pretty much given up checking the website now.

evemccc

Visit site
Question for all referees at whatever level of serious competition —- how often are you asked to intervene or give a ruling?
In County golf especially and elite amateur comps, is there often disagreements between players or players and yourself? I wonder if golf is truly a gentleman’s game ?

What does a usual round of refereeing entail, have you any stories or funny anecdotes?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question for all referees at whatever level of serious competition —- how often are you asked to intervene or give a ruling?
In County golf especially and elite amateur comps, is there often disagreements between players or players and yourself? I wonder if golf is truly a gentleman’s game ?

What does a usual round of refereeing entail, have you any stories or funny anecdotes?
The number of issues, conflicts, fall outs etc I read on here in matchplay comps.............. not on your nelly o_O:LOL:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

In my experience, very seldom a disagreement, most often a thank you for helping out. The thank yous are probably more common because the most frequent query is about whether relief is allowable and you are, naturally, the player's friend when allowing free relief. But even when a penalty is involved or free relief is not allowable. acceptance and compliance is the norm.

There's an anecdote of one of my rare experiences of a player getting stroppy here:
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/tv-commentators-and-the-rules.112619/page-2#post-2525843

It's not hard to work out how with a cooler head he could have avoided all of that stramash and created a chance of getting down in 2 following the skulled shot out of the bunker.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my experience, very seldom a disagreement, most often a thank you for helping out. The thank yous are probably more common because the most frequent query is about whether relief is allowable and you are, naturally, the player's friend when allowing free relief. But even when a penalty is involved or free relief is not allowable. acceptance and compliance is the norm.
That is my experience also.
In fact I have only ever had one situation where I thought it might get awkward. Pre 2019, I noticed a player on the next fairway scrabbling around in a some bushes. As I walked across I realised he was in a water hazard and then saw him throw out a small piece of foliage. I asked him what he was doing and he very aggressively retorted "getting this rubbish out of the way!". I thought to my self 'oh dear, trouble' and said politely 'I'm afraid you can't do that, you are in a water hazard". He made some angry comments at me about b***** rules, b***** ditches, losing distance, the weather and then a b**** penalty, as if they were all my fault. I gently pointed out it was two penalty strokes and he swore again. I stepped away.
As he was replacing his club after playing the next shot, he turned and apologised, said he had been having a poor score and added "I'll not be doing that again. Thanks for telling me."