Golf Random Irritations

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
This is like a Harry Enfield sketch :ROFLMAO:

Women only have small brains and get confused near roads, they can't be trusted to look after themselves. A gentleman should always walk nearer the road in case they go haywire and jump into the traffic.
or it prevents a chamber pot being thrown on their head.:eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They do on a Golf course! So being on a Golf forum you would take off/change your shoes, coat.

It’s good manners to remove headgear because it is outdoor wear, there is absolutely no reason, apart from vanity, to wear a hat indoors.
Yes there is, you've just walked in from outside and you don't feel like taking it off to sit on the table and later put it back on again. Same reason you don't take your shoes off when you walk into the clubhouse, or your coat/jumper unless you're warm. There is no logic to why anyone thinks keeping your hat on is "bad manners" it's just centuries of conditioning based on long forgotten reasons that are almost certainly irrelevant in the present day. If people think it's bad manners, it's because somebody once told them it was bad manners. Nobody would ever come to that conclusion by themselves.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Sometimes wanting to wear a hat indoors is just a case of you’ve worn it for a whole round and you know if you take it off, you’d look even more daft with the state of your hair from wearing it.

Yes that could be classed as vanity, but saying people shouldn’t is down to vanity and people’s own perception of how both they and others should look to conform too.

The only people that aren’t vain about it are the ones that really don’t care either way, which I wish there were more of.

It’s got sod all to do with manners. Manners is about how you act, not how you look.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
50+ years ago I'm sure they whined about how manners were falling apart.....since things had changed from what they were. .

Strangely they didn't whine because etiquette was still being taught 50 years ago and observed by most. Even at my age I wouldn't think twice about offering my seat to a person who needed it more than me, would never wear a hat indoors etc it was good manners and I'd feel wrong not observing them

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I take my hat off when indoors for the same reason I take a jacket, coat, gloves & scarf off when indoors. They’re all items of outerwear worn for the protection they offer when outdoors. In most indoor settings that protection is not required so you can remove the item. In effect its surplus to requirements.
If I’m just quickly passing though then I’ll leave them on

If someone else wants to sit for food/drink or just a chat in a golf clubhouse and doesn’t feel like removing their outerwear, its no skin off my nose. It’d probably be more comfortable for them to take those items off but again not my problem

D

Deleted member 16999

I take my hat off when indoors for the same reason I take a jacket, coat, gloves & scarf off when indoors. They’re all items of outerwear worn for the protection they offer when outdoors. In most indoor settings that protection is not required so you can remove the item. In effect its surplus to requirements.
If I’m just quickly passing though then I’ll leave them on

If someone else wants to sit for food/drink or just a chat in a golf clubhouse and doesn’t feel like removing their outerwear, its no skin off my nose. It’d probably be more comfortable for them to take those items off but again not my problem
It’s not about if it bothers you, me or anyone else, it’s about respecting the Club rules, if the Club allows you to wear a hat indoors, feel free, if the Club states hats are to be removed, remove it.

It’s just being respectful to them, not aimed at you, but if you don’t like their rules then the choice is simple, don’t give them your money and go elsewhere.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The loudmouth at my club recently bitching loudly about the lack of apparent dress sense from "non-members" and "green fees" - whilst sitting with flip-flops across another chair and wearing a cap …..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s not about if it bothers you, me or anyone else, it’s about respecting the Club rules, if the Club allows you to wear a hat indoors, feel free, if the Club states hats are to be removed, remove it.

It’s just being respectful to them, not aimed at you, but if you don’t like their rules then the choice is simple, don’t give them your money and go elsewhere.

Agree; if a golf club has a rule saying that I must wear a hat indoors I would reluctantly comply, thankfully the default position adopted by most clubs is that (the protection from) a hat isn't required indoors so pls take it off

Swango1980

Visit site
I've no personal issue with what people wear. However, if the club rules ask hats are taken off in club house. Or, even if they dont, but if it is general knowledge that many people feel wearing a hat indoors is on the rude side or disrespectful. Then, why not just take the hat off? No big deal. If you refuse, and given it doesn't put you at any disadvantage, surely that just shows you are either ignorant, or simply don't care or agree with the clubs policy or other peoples feelings. Thus, does that sort of not prove their point in the first place that wearing a hat can potentially be considered rude?

I mean, it is just a hat. At my club, I can pretty much walk into my clubhouse in my football kit (which I have done, as the pitches are next door). I could wear a hat, or pretty much what I like. At other clubs, not a chance I could get away with that. And in most places I am absolutely fine with that, zero problem with clubs wanting golfers in club house to look relatively smart. However, I don't agree when it goes as far as asking you to dress up in a jacket to come into clubhouse. But, that is a different story, as my main gripe with that is it requires additional clothing, and money to get it, above and beyond what you were wearing on golf course. No problem for a fancy dinner, but not just for a drink after the round.

Mandofred

Visit site
Strangely they didn't whine because etiquette was still being taught 50 years ago and observed by most. Even at my age I wouldn't think twice about offering my seat to a person who needed it more than me, would never wear a hat indoors etc it was good manners and I'd feel wrong not observing them
But....the etiquette being taught 50 years was different than it was in earlier times. Etiquette is always changing......and should. Offering a seat to someone who needs it more makes sense. Taking a hat off because somebody just made that rule....doesn't make sense. Several people have stated that you should take it off because you don't need it anymore....what if I were a bit paranoid about being bald and wanted the hat on? Wouldn't it meet etiquette standards to allow that person to continue wearing it? What if I wear my big thick coat in the clubhouse because I'm just friggin cold? This falls into the usual etiquette situation.....people agree with a rule because they like it, others don't agree with it because they don't like it. One side thinks the others are wrong....and vice versa.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I suppose like many on here (& more than once) I heard my grandparents say “are you not stopping/staying!” Usually said when one of us hadn’t taken off an item of outerwear after being in their home for a few minutes. Looking back I can tell now it was said with a hint of sarcasm and more than a little bit of bite to admonish that one of us clearly hadn’t made ourselves comfortable in their home, passing a slight on their hospitality, an insult almost

I’m pretty sure my grandparents didn’t invent the rule about taking hats/scarfs & other outerwear off indoors and I’m also pretty sure it didn’t just apply to their home. And maybe we don’t need that tradition/habit/rule anymore, I’d love the chance to ask my granny what she thinks about it though

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We learned the manners expected of us at a very early age

Always remove your hat when going indoors

Offer your seat to a lady or someone old

Open a door for a lady

Walk with a lady but nearer the road for her safety

These "manners" were drummed in and expected of us and you never forget
You do realise that most of these are now sexist, outdated and would be considered insulting? Times evolve, as does behaviour and what is considered good and bad manners.

D

Deleted member 16999

You do realise that most of these are now sexist, outdated and would be considered insulting? Times evolve, as does behaviour and what is considered good and bad manners.
Aaaah the professionally offended argument, who decides it’s sexist or outdated?

You? Because you don’t like them or me because I do,

What actual harm is caused by behaving in the manner Chris suggests?

D

Deleted member 16999

But....the etiquette being taught 50 years was different than it was in earlier times. Etiquette is always changing......and should. Offering a seat to someone who needs it more makes sense. Taking a hat off because somebody just made that rule....doesn't make sense. Several people have stated that you should take it off because you don't need it anymore....what if I were a bit paranoid about being bald and wanted the hat on? Wouldn't it meet etiquette standards to allow that person to continue wearing it? What if I wear my big thick coat in the clubhouse because I'm just friggin cold? This falls into the usual etiquette situation.....people agree with a rule because they like it, others don't agree with it because they don't like it. One side thinks the others are wrong....and vice versa.
You are looking for daft reasons to justify why it’s ok.

Maybe they wear a hat because they think it looks good, but they actually look like a tool, maybe they are wearing the coat to show it off. Maybe they look great in a hat and coat combo, none of that is the point.

Wear a hat indoors were allowed, take it off when the rules ask for it to be removed, nobody has an issue with that, the only people who seem to have issue is those that want it their way all the time.

D

Deleted member 25172

Perhaps in the world of Twitter and the most fringe parts of social sciences where micro aggressions and pseudo-offence is top priority, but in the real world I'd argue that the absolute vast majority of people appreciate these things, men as women.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are looking for daft reasons to justify why it’s ok.

Maybe they wear a hat because they think it looks good, but they actually look like a tool, maybe they are wearing the coat to show it off. Maybe they look great in a hat and coat combo, none of that is the point.

Wear a hat indoors were allowed, take it off when the rules ask for it to be removed, nobody has an issue with that, the only people who seem to have issue is those that want it their way all the time.
Personally, I have an issue with arbitrary rules that have no basis in common sense or the present day - even if they don't affect me.