Golf Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 16999

Personally, I have an issue with arbitrary rules that have no basis in common sense or the present day - even if they don't affect me.
Shocker! And who exactly made you the arbiter of what is common sense or has basis in the modern day?

Surely it’s more about respect, even if you don’t like or agree with something? Life isn’t always fair.(y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shocker! And who exactly made you the arbiter of what is common sense or has basis in the modern day?

Surely it’s more about respect, even if you don’t like or agree with something? Life isn’t always fair.(y)
You're familiar with the phrase 'respect is earned not given' I'm sure. I don't respect anyone who imposes rules for the sake of rules without any basis of logic or sense. No that doesn't mean I break these rules at clubs I visit before you launch into a crusade about that. As these debates always come back to this - it is perfectly possible to abide by the rules but also question their validity today.

D

Deleted member 16999

You're familiar with the phrase 'respect is earned not given' I'm sure. I don't respect anyone who imposes rules for the sake of rules without any basis of logic or sense. No that doesn't mean I break these rules at clubs I visit before you launch into a crusade about that. As these debates always come back to this - it is perfectly possible to abide by the rules but also question their validity today.
So when you turn up at these Clubs are you looking down your nose at them as you have no respect for their rules, but decide to suck it up as you fancy playing it?

Maybe you should stick to your guns and practise what you preach?:ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So when you turn up at these Clubs are you looking down your nose at them as you have no respect for their rules, but decide to suck it up as you fancy playing it?

Maybe you should stick to your guns and practise what you preach?:ROFLMAO:
I pre-empted your response and you still made it anyway. Abiding by a stupid rule because you want to play golf is easy enough. But if a dress code was too officious then I probably wouldn't go to that club, no.

D

Deleted member 16999

I pre-empted your response and you still made it anyway. Abiding by a stupid rule because you want to play golf is easy enough. But if a dress code was too officious then I probably wouldn't go to that club, no.
Again, it’s only a stupid rule in your opinion!
You seemed to play fast and loose with your principles? Only “probably” not go to that Club.;)

Have a good day/weekend, I’m out.(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aaaah the professionally offended argument, who decides it’s sexist or outdated?

You? Because you don’t like them or me because I do,

What actual harm is caused by behaving in the manner Chris suggests?
Perhaps in the world of Twitter and the most fringe parts of social sciences where micro aggressions and pseudo-offence is top priority, but in the real world I'd argue that the absolute vast majority of people appreciate these things, men as women.
I would say that most women, certainly under the age of 50 or so would suggest they are sexist and outdated. They portray women as inferior, needing the help of a big strong man. Women are equals and should be treated as such. Women are not pathetic and feeble that need the assistance of men, why treat them as such?

D

Deleted member 16999

I would say that most women, certainly under the age of 50 or so would suggest they are sexist and outdated. They portray women as inferior, needing the help of a big strong man. Women are equals and should be treated as such. Women are not pathetic and feeble that need the assistance of men, why treat them as such?
All that by holding a door open! Wow:)

D

Deleted member 16999

Now a serious response, what would be the message I’d be sending if I behaved in the same manner to a bloke or a child?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All that by holding a door open! Wow:)
Holding a door open specifically for a lady, giving up your seat specifically for a lady, walking on the outside of the pavement specifically for a lady.

There is a common theme in the above. Behave with women as you would do with men, if not then the behaviour is sexist by its very definition.

D

Deleted member 16999

Holding a door open specifically for a lady, giving up your seat specifically for a lady, walking on the outside of the pavement specifically for a lady.

There is a common theme in the above. Behave with women as you would do with men, if not then the behaviour is sexist by its very definition.
Chris didn’t say specifically in all cases though?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now a serious response, what would be the message I’d be sending if I behaved in the same manner to a bloke or a child?
I think it depends on the sceanrio. For example, if I go through a door I hold it open for the next person. Whether male, female, young or old. I treat them equally.

If I am on a bus and someone gets on who has mobility issues then I will offer my seat if none are available, irrelevant of age or gender.

It is about treating people equally.

Mandofred

Visit site
Again, it’s only a stupid rule in your opinion!
You seemed to play fast and loose with your principles? Only “probably” not go to that Club.;)

Have a good day/weekend, I’m out.(y)
Yet.....you keep commenting. You keep telling other people that their opinions are questionable. Do you wonder if (gasp)....you have it wrong? Not saying you are....but I'd like to think most of this stuff is my opinion (and I know it's just MY opinion) and I allow for others to have a different opinion. I may disagree with it, but jeez........it's your way or no way.

D

Deleted member 16999

He mentions 'lady' in three of the four examples. That seems pretty specific to me.
It still doesn’t make him sexist though! He was explaining how he was brought up.

I think it depends on the sceanrio. For example, if I go through a door I hold it open for the next person. Whether male, female, young or old. I treat them equally.

If I am on a bus and someone gets on who has mobility issues then I will offer my seat if none are available, irrelevant of age or gender.

It is about treating people equally.
So, instead of being me and treating people equally, I have appraise the situation, check the female out and quickly work out her character and then decide, “if I open the door for her will I be abused” or “should I let the door close” and look ignorant.

Or maybe I should just open the door as it has no hidden meaning to it?

D

Deleted member 16999

Yet.....you keep commenting. You keep telling other people that their opinions are questionable. Do you wonder if (gasp)....you have it wrong? Not saying you are....but I'd like to think most of this stuff is my opinion (and I know it's just MY opinion) and I allow for others to have a different opinion. I may disagree with it, but jeez........it's your way or no way.
I’m talking to Orikoru as I know he works from home and our discussion maybe distracting him, but thanks for your input.

Could you show me were I’ve said it’s my way or no way or is it simply a discussion on an open forum were none of us are right or wrong.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It still doesn’t make him sexist though! He was explaining how he was brought up.

So, instead of being me and treating people equally, I have appraise the situation, check the female out and quickly work out her character and then decide, “if I open the door for her will I be abused” or “should I let the door close” and look ignorant.

Or maybe I should just open the door as it has no hidden meaning to it?
I accept it was how he was brought up, same for others in the same age group. It came across as though he still has that opinion, I suggested in my reply to him that these actions would now be the opposite of good manners to many women. He may agree and not carry out these actions any more, he has not replied yet.

If you are at the open door and going through it then I would hope you would hold it for the next person whoever it is. That is good manners. What would be sexist would be to specifically go across and open the door for a woman, or be stood by a door and open it for a woman, not for a man. People are largely capable of opening doors themselves, unless there are physical reasons why not.

D

Deleted member 16999

I accept it was how he was brought up, same for others in the same age group. It came across as though he still has that opinion, I suggested in my reply to him that these actions would now be the opposite of good manners to many women. He may agree and not carry out these actions any more, he has not replied yet.

If you are at the open door and going through it then I would hope you would hold it for the next person whoever it is. That is good manners. What would be sexist would be to specifically go across and open the door for a woman, or be stood by a door and open it for a woman, not for a man. People are largely capable of opening doors themselves, unless there are physical reasons why not.
I agree, but the problem now is that it’s not just a case of just opening the door for a woman, you have to balance it out by opening a door for man in case you are seen as sexist and not simply being good mannered.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Bottom line is if there’s truly no one at your club you can look down on/point and laugh at, comment on their dress sense, judge for not standing their round, slag off their car/wife/swing, tut at the state of their manky shoes or criticise their on/off course conduct…...... it’s probably you :whistle:

D

Deleted member 25172

Personally, I hold the door open for anyone who comes behind me. Even though Chris stated women in his post, I'm sure that if we ask him, that will also go for men, like it would do for most people. The thing about walking closer to the road I had actually never heard before, but if I was a woman and a man insisted on taking the hit of a car I'd find him more than a rather silly, but wouldn't say no just because I'm a big strong independent woman who can be run over by a car at least as well as a man can... :D

Speaking of equality, it would be interesting to see women under 50 get asked the 2 below question. For some reason, I imagine that the results would look quite different.

Q1: Women should be treated equal to men in all manners.

Q2: The bill should be split 50-50 on a first date.

Edit: Had to google to se if I could actually find anything regarding Q2.

https://money.com/valentines-day-men-pay-first-date/

72% sexists among women! Not far behind us men in the sexist scale. :D

Last edited by a moderator: