Golf Random Irritations

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes and no. Nothing beats learning to play shots from tricky lies around the green and replicating real shots. I've been hitting off the muddiest or barest lies I can find to develop something that works. Plenty of duffs and thins at the moment but gradually working out what I can and can't do off these lies

I understand your point, but in reality the course I play at currently doesn’t really have any rough to speak of, plus I am unsure how much I will get out from November - March as I can only play once at the weekend due to family commitments so most most of my practise will be done from a range mat or short game practise area anyway. All I am wanting to do currently is build a solid base in which to kick on from.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Except it isn't. :rolleyes:
Well to summarise quickly, if you're saying you wouldn't wear a hood because you don't like them, that's an opinion, no problem. It's those who start trying to dictate that others shouldn't wear hoods on the course who are on shaky ground regarding snobbery. In my opinion. ;) For the reasons Paul said - that hoods/jeans/trainers were traditionally banned to keep out the working class.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well to summarise quickly, if you're saying you wouldn't wear a hood because you don't like them, that's an opinion, no problem. It's those who start trying to dictate that others shouldn't wear hoods on the course who are on shaky ground regarding snobbery. In my opinion. ;) For the reasons Paul said - that hoods/jeans/trainers were traditionally banned to keep out the working class.

But back when the working class were discouraged from playing (did this time ever really exist), hoodies weren't around, golf shoes had spikes, and probably flappy bits over the laces, and jeans were for teenagers and bikers. Not sure why this perceived chip on the shoulder exists. Especially now, when golf has never been more open.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I do see a difference between forced and unforced errors. If my ball is sitting perfectly in a perfect position - any error I make is unforced. If I am out of position and having to manufacture a shot and it goes wrong - well that is a 'forced' error as I was 'forced' to manufacture something...

I am currently very good at unforced errors - they are massively frustrating. I don't so much mind forced ones. :)
Obviously it's up to you, but the US commentators just took it from tennis
https://gtstats.net/general/tennis-stats-forced-unforced-errors/
I think you could maybe stretch a point for it being a little relevant in match play.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
But back when the working class were discouraged from playing (did this time ever really exist), hoodies weren't around, golf shoes had spikes, and probably flappy bits over the laces, and jeans were for teenagers and bikers. Not sure why this perceived chip on the shoulder exists. Especially now, when golf has never been more open.

Were those the days when the working class turned up to work in a suit and then put their overalls on when they got to work?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Were these also the days when golf clubs created artisan sections so that the working class, who couldn't afford the full fees, could get to play golf? Unfortunately that argument is somewhat flawed and says far more about the poster than it does about golf.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Being someone who started golf later in life. I will say that I can see why some people felt it wasn't for those of us in working class.

Unfortunately that myth is imo perpetuated with much more conviction (by the working class) than the truth really deserves.

Yes there will have been financial barriers that would have meant less working class played it.

But, having spent time in numerous clubhouses (many that would fit some peoples stereotypes), I can say with complete confidence that I've felt more welcomed there than any "toff" would at my local.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Were these also the days when golf clubs created artisan sections so that the working class, who couldn't afford the full fees, could get to play golf? Unfortunately that argument is somewhat flawed and says far more about the poster than it does about golf.
What other reason is there to moan about someone else wearing a hood or wearing trainers or wearing a cap indoors?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Because next it would be wellies and tank tops, etc
Taking off a cap indoors is just good manners.
If your standard is anything goes, then any club which satisfies you won't see me.

Bold bit - why?! I understand it's the done thing. Presumably some archaic "taking you helmet off after a duel" scenario?

Wellies and tank tops? I've played clubs where I've seen BOTH on the course, granted not at the same time! And while they aren't going to be hosting an Open Championship anytime soon, I've had enjoyable rounds at such courses.

I just don't understand why some people get so worked up because "that's how it is" or "that's just how it should be".

D

Deleted member 16999

Bold bit - why?! I understand it's the done thing. Presumably some archaic "taking you helmet off after a duel" scenario?

Wellies and tank tops? I've played clubs where I've seen BOTH on the course, granted not at the same time! And while they aren't going to be hosting an Open Championship anytime soon, I've had enjoyable rounds at such courses.

I just don't understand why some people get so worked up because "that's how it is" or "that's just how it should be".
Why does anyone, except workplace, need a hat indoors?

Swango1980

Visit site
Irritation: When an opponent in your winter league says they just beat another group in the league, who have handicaps of 23 and 27. However, when we come to play them in November, they will have Course Handicaps of 26 and 30, yet me and my partner only get a shot back compared to current handicap. If only we could play them before 2nd November, especially as the 23 handicapper, in his last 4 qualifying competitions, has shot 35 points (1 under CSS), 39 points (1 under CSS), 44 points (4 under CSS) and 42 points (5 under CSS).

I'm strongly now suspecting that the WHS is going to massively favour inconsistent golfers, especially those with a higher handicap. The variance in their best 8 scores will still be high compared to a low handicapper, so when they have a good day (top 3 or 4 scores in 20), I think lower handicappers can forget about beating them. For example, for this 23 handicapper, the difference between his best and worst round in the Top 8 (Score Differential) was 7.6 shots. I doubt a scratch golfer would have such a range. Taking a look at a 5 handicapper at our club, his range in top 8 score differentials was only 3.1 shots.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

That's not an argument. You don't need a coat or shoes indoors either but you wouldn't question anyone wearing them would you? :ROFLMAO:
You have the ability in not answering a question by turning it around, and yes I’d expect them to take them off if it was requested or in the rules.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
You have the ability in not answering a question by turning it around, and yes I’d expect them to take them off if it was requested or in the rules.
You also didn't answer the question I posed. Why is taking a hat off indoors good manners?

@Orikoru's point is fair. Nobody questions a person wearing a coat indoors. Or a pair of shoes. Certainly not in the way you are of a hat!

D

Deleted member 16999

You also didn't answer the question I posed. Why is taking a hat off indoors good manners?

@Orikoru's point is fair. Nobody questions a person wearing a coat indoors. Or a pair of shoes. Certainly not in the way you are of a hat!
They do on a Golf course! So being on a Golf forum you would take off/change your shoes, coat.

It’s good manners to remove headgear because it is outdoor wear, there is absolutely no reason, apart from vanity, to wear a hat indoors.

Mandofred

Visit site
50+ years ago I'm sure they whined about how manners were falling apart.....since things had changed from what they were. Things are changing now, and people are whining about the changes. It's just what people do. I've always wondered why men were supposed to take off their hats indoors because it "wasn't done", but with women it wasn't an issue. Huh? Someone makes up the rule, sometimes I think they just feel the need to make rules. Etiquette......sometimes it just makes no sense.

sunshine

Visit site
Wait, women aren't expected to remove their hat but it's bad manners for men to wear a hat indoors?

Is someone going to launch an equality crusade?