Golf Random Irritations

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
So, we have a guy in the group who walks ahead and we have to remind him there are three others playing too about 6 times a round.
It really P's me off and by the time you get his attention, he turns around, then makes a 90 degree off the fairway to allow another play to take their shot, he's actually slowed up play.
We talked about it afterwards with him and said he'll get hit one day and he says he knows he does it, but then went on with some cock and bull as to why? Complete tosh, none of us could figure.
I think he'll have only a few more chances to change his behaviour before he gets missed off the bookings.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Golfer commentators who use the terms "false front" & "unforced error"
I agree with this. If hitting an approach shot right, left, short or long of the green is an "unforced error" what is a forced error? I guess if a player turns around and plays back towards the tee the announcer would say that's a "forced error". Also, if the green is flat on the front with no slope that would be called a "true front".

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my minor irritations is playing partners who drive or walk ahead and get in the way before I play my approach. Due to a torn rotator cuff I don't drive the ball very far. I'm usually the shortest player off the tee. However, I rarely miss the fairway and thanks to a good short game I have the lowest index in my regular group. I know they don't do it on purpose, but it happens quite frequently. I always try to stay behind my fellow players whenever they play even if they top or chunk the shot.

I know this is an irritation, but, I think, it's a mark of respect for your game that they can walk ahead of where your ball is knowing full well you will not hit them. That's how I see it, and how I play. If you're a tad wayward, I would not advance ahead of you.

D

Deleted member 21258

Golfers that have 6 practise swings, then hit the ball and follow it up by 2 more practise swings.

sunshine

Visit site

I know it's your irritation... but what is wrong with the term false front? How else could they succinctly describe a green which has a slope at the front which rejects balls so deceiving the golfer as you need to carry it another 10 yards to find the "true" front?

As for unforced error, you're right because every error in golf is an unforced error!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
........things about golf that folk that disagree with on here, being labelled as, "golf being snobby!":ROFLMAO:
If it's people turning their nose up at the clothes someone else is wearing, then that literally is being a snob. It's practically definitive.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If it's people turning their nose up at the clothes someone else is wearing, then that literally is being a snob. It's practically definitive.

So, dislike = turning up your nose?

Not necessarily, those folk have expressed an opinion, in the same way as those expressing an alternative view have also expressed an opinion. Maybe you have just confirmed my original point?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, dislike = turning up your nose?

Not necessarily, those folk have expressed an opinion, in the same way as those expressing an alternative view have also expressed an opinion. Maybe you have just confirmed my original point?
So if someone said women shouldn't be allowed on the course, that would just be their opinion so that's all fine? You wouldn't extrapolate anything about that person from their opinion?

If you were just saying you don't like people wearing green, that wouldn't be snobbery, that would just be an opinion. The fact is most people who object to hoods or the like do so for snobbish class-based reasons.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oooh, where did I say anything like that?
The point is, if you were someone who objects to the clothes someone else is wearing and you think it's fine because it's just an opinion, maybe you should look at what that opinion is based upon - chances are, it is snobbery. (Granted this is only if clothing is what you were originally talking about.)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The point is, if you were someone who objects to the clothes someone else is wearing and you think it's fine because it's just an opinion, maybe you should look at what that opinion is based upon - chances are, it is snobbery. (Granted this is only if clothing is what you were originally talking about.)

The only point that I would add to slightly differentiate between the 2 is that it is perfectly possible to dislike something clothing wise and read nothing more into that. It is when that dislike extends to 'people should note be allowed to wear them' that it gets a bit deeper and you need to look at the reasoning behind the desire to ban an item.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I actually joined this site and abandoned some golf sites here in the US because people didn't seem to argue with each other. So much for that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I do see a difference between forced and unforced errors. If my ball is sitting perfectly in a perfect position - any error I make is unforced. If I am out of position and having to manufacture a shot and it goes wrong - well that is a 'forced' error as I was 'forced' to manufacture something...

I am currently very good at unforced errors - they are massively frustrating. I don't so much mind forced ones. :)

sunshine

Visit site
I do see a difference between forced and unforced errors. If my ball is sitting perfectly in a perfect position - any error I make is unforced. If I am out of position and having to manufacture a shot and it goes wrong - well that is a 'forced' error as I was 'forced' to manufacture something...

I am currently very good at unforced errors - they are massively frustrating. I don't so much mind forced ones. :)

But if you manufacture a shot and it goes wrong, arguably you should have played a different shot which was easier to play. So it is still an unforced error.