Golf Random Irritations

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally, I hold the door open for anyone who comes behind me. Even though Chris stated women in his post, I'm sure that if we ask him, that will also go for men, like it would do for most people. .

Correct lilyhawk, we were taught what we understood to be general good manners but I recall it being stressed that ladies were to be treated with high respect, certainly though you'd open the door for men too and I still do as well as offer a seat to a male pensioner or someone who clearly needed it more than you. The quote earlier that I read here that "if you want my respect you have to earn it" is totally opposite to what we were taught, as you were expected to respect everyone unless their actions caused you to not respect them - why would you ever not respect someone from the beginning?

D

Deleted member 25172

Correct lilyhawk, we were taught what we understood to be general good manners but I recall it being stressed that ladies were to be treated with high respect, certainly though you'd open the door for men too and I still do as well as offer a seat to a male pensioner or someone who clearly needed it more than you. The quote earlier that I read here that "if you want my respect you have to earn it" is totally opposite to what we were taught, as you were expected to respect everyone unless their actions caused you to not respect them - why would you ever not respect someone from the beginning?

As I would've thought. The only difference today is that if you hold a door open for the "wrong" person, you'd run the risk of being accused of being sexist. It sure is a strange world.

Mandofred

Visit site
I’m talking to Orikoru as I know he works from home and our discussion maybe distracting him, but thanks for your input.

Could you show me were I’ve said it’s my way or no way or is it simply a discussion on an open forum were none of us are right or wrong.:sleep::sleep::sleep:
All you have to do is read your posts. At this point, I don't believe I have seen much that you have written that isn't that isn't "this is the way it is....". Where have you stated that you could be wrong? On anything? I sure don't have the attitude that I'm just plain right....with no give or take. In fact, I'm always wondering if I am right.....and I'm often wrong. I can't see that with you. You've already stated that you were out of this thread.....and then jumped right back in because you couldn't take the other view points.

D

Deleted member 16999

All you have to do is read your posts. At this point, I don't believe I have seen much that you have written that isn't that isn't "this is the way it is....". Where have you stated that you could be wrong? On anything? I sure don't have the attitude that I'm just plain right....with no give or take. In fact, I'm always wondering if I am right.....and I'm often wrong. I can't see that with you. You've already stated that you were out of this thread.....and then jumped right back in because you couldn't take the other view points.
What part of I was out of the conversation with Orikoru do you not understand.

If you go back to this morning he actually responded to me first and it is only good manners to answer a direct post.

I have stated I like the hoodies, I have stated I don’t agree with some rules.

But all along I have and do believe it is about respect of others and their rules if they have them.

If you don’t like what I post then put me on ignore.

Just for you, here’s the definition of Forum:
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Feel free to report me if you believe I have broke any forum rules.:rolleyes:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
You're familiar with the phrase 'respect is earned not given' I'm sure. I don't respect anyone who imposes rules for the sake of rules without any basis of logic or sense. No that doesn't mean I break these rules at clubs I visit before you launch into a crusade about that. As these debates always come back to this - it is perfectly possible to abide by the rules but also question their validity today.

At your own club, fine; at anybody else's club, no. The dress rules are set by the members for theirs and nobody else's reasons and as such are sacrosanct, regardless of how much it irritates any given outsider. ;)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yet.....you keep commenting. You keep telling other people that their opinions are questionable. Do you wonder if (gasp)....you have it wrong? Not saying you are....but I'd like to think most of this stuff is my opinion (and I know it's just MY opinion) and I allow for others to have a different opinion. I may disagree with it, but jeez........it's your way or no way.

You seem to have a problem knowing the definition of "opinion", and probably of "tolerance" and "intolerance".
If I have an opinion that something is the case, e.g it is true, or it is wrong, then that is my belief. I have every right to believe that.
It is contrary to logic and the English language to think that because someone else has a different opinion on the matter, that I should consider that my opinion is possibly wrong. If I do, I do not have an opinion.

Intolerance is where I have an opinion, someone else has an opposing opinion but I maintain that that person has no right to have that opinion.

Tolerance is where I have an opinion, someone has a different opinion, and I believe they are entitled to that opinion whilst still believing that My opinion is right and their opinion is wrong.

sunshine

Visit site
Personally, I hold the back door open for anyone who comes behind me. Even though Chris stated women in his post, I'm sure that if we ask him, that will also go for men,

What you get up to with Chris or anyone else in your private life is entirely up to you, although you might have more success on grindr than a golf forum :oops::ROFLMAO:

Crumplezone

Visit site
But....the etiquette being taught 50 years was different than it was in earlier times. Etiquette is always changing

Even 50 years ago, the convention of wearing of some sort of hat routinely was rapidly dying out. In the intervening years, it has become normal not to wear a hat. As such, any etiquette or custom regarding whether or not you wear a hat inside or outside is completely antiquated and irrelevant today.

Mandofred

Visit site
Even 50 years ago, the convention of wearing of some sort of hat routinely was rapidly dying out. In the intervening years, it has become normal not to wear a hat. As such, any etiquette or custom regarding whether or not you wear a hat inside or outside is completely antiquated and irrelevant today.
Exactly my point.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If you want to get ahead....Get a hat

I had a young person offer me a seat on a train a while ago, I felt as if I didnt need it, (even though it probably looked as though I did)
but I accepted on the basis that it took a lot of courage for that young person to do that,and its something I have always done so I expressed my thanks and the world turned

Its the little things,

Swango1980

Visit site
Personally, I have an issue with arbitrary rules that have no basis in common sense or the present day - even if they don't affect me.
Is shaking hands polite (forget Covid for now)? Is saying please and thank you polite? You could argue that none of these are actually needed, or make any difference to how things proceed. But, as some point in history, a hand shake was invented and now deemed to be a polite way to great someone (or end a round of golf). Arguably, we do not need a word for please and thankyou, we could just ask for something or take something without those words. But, we all use them as they are considered polite.

So, many people also think it is polite to take one's hat off. So, who is it that decides that saying please and thankyou and shaking hands is polite, but taking one's hat off has nothing to do with politeness?

As I said, it personally doesn't bother me, but I'd not wear a hat inside as others might consider it a bit rude and I'm happy to respect that specific opinion.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not so much sexist as .................................... polite!
If people find them sexist, I believe that they have the issue.
We will have to disagree with that, as would many women who ultimately are the ones who matter in this instance. My wife and daughter would find it patronising for certain.

It's deemed polite by a certain generation, sexist and patronising by those who follow. Inevitably there will be disagreements between the different generations, as there often is.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Is shaking hands polite (forget Covid for now)? Is saying please and thank you polite? You could argue that none of these are actually needed, or make any difference to how things proceed. But, as some point in history, a hand shake was invented and now deemed to be a polite way to great someone (or end a round of golf). Arguably, we do not need a word for please and thankyou, we could just ask for something or take something without those words. But, we all use them as they are considered polite.

So, many people also think it is polite to take one's hat off. So, who is it that decides that saying please and thankyou and shaking hands is polite, but taking one's hat off has nothing to do with politeness?

As I said, it personally doesn't bother me, but I'd not wear a hat inside as others might consider it a bit rude and I'm happy to respect that specific opinion.

Beat me to it.

As an aside, I was taught many years ago (before Google & Wikipedia, so it may not be correct ;) ) that the hand shake was a gesture of good intention; apparently, in the dim & distant past, the majority of the fighting world held the shield in the left hand and the weapon in their right hand. In order to shake hands right handed, both parties had to relinquish control of the weapon in order to greet one another, so by putting the weapon down it was a gesture of good faith.

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to claim that this is leftist and to be offended by it, and demand a change to left handed handshakes to challenge this arbitrary tradition. :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you high?? :ROFLMAO: As if judging people on their clothing is remotely the same ball park as basic courtesy of saying hello and thank you?? Sorry but you lost me there.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
We will have to disagree with that, as would many women who ultimately are the ones who matter in this instance. My wife and daughter would find it patronising for certain.

It's deemed polite by a certain generation, sexist and patronising by those who follow. Inevitably there will be disagreements between the different generations, as there often is.

Does this mean that if I see a woman following me into a store I should shut the door in her face so that she can open it herself? I will have treated her as an equal and I will have observed the polite convention of closing the door behind me, surely a win-win? :unsure:

Swango1980

Visit site
Beat me to it.

As an aside, I was taught many years ago (before Google & Wikipedia, so it may not be correct ;) ) that the hand shake was a gesture of good intention; apparently, in the dim & distant past, the majority of the fighting world held the shield in the left hand and the weapon in their right hand. In order to shake hands right handed, both parties had to relinquish control of the weapon in order to greet one another, so by putting the weapon down it was a gesture of good faith.

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to claim that this is leftist and to be offended by it, and demand a change to left handed handshakes to challenge this arbitrary tradition. :rolleyes:
I remember you had to shake hands with your left hand in the Scouts. I guess they were leftist before it became a big thing in the media, which is ironic as I hear their founder was not so much on the left.