Golf Random Irritations

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
We will have to disagree with that, as would many women who ultimately are the ones who matter in this instance. My wife and daughter would find it patronising for certain.

It's deemed polite by a certain generation, sexist and patronising by those who follow. Inevitably there will be disagreements between the different generations, as there often is.

Okay, that's fair enough ......................................... but!
Would your wife and/or daughter think I'm doing it to be sexist/patronising or would they think I'm just trying to be polite?
Or would they think I'm just ignorant?

Swango1980

Visit site
Are you high?? :ROFLMAO: As if judging people on their clothing is remotely the same ball park as basic courtesy of saying hello and thank you?? Sorry but you lost me there.
Not high. It is you that judges that words and physical gestures can be categorised as courtesy. But, as this thread shows, gestures such as taking a hat off indoors is also considered courteous. I'm sure wearing a Rab C Nesbit type string vest might also be considered inappropriate, a Borat Mankini or a fetching thong. Some of those are clearly inappropriate to most, but there will be greyer lines where different people will fall either side. If one does not worry about whether they personally wear a hat indoors, that is fine. But, if they are at least aware that others find it inappropriate, then by definition they are wearing the hat in spite of how others may feel. Therefore, the person wearing a hat has no concern on how those people feel. Therefore, those people might feel it is inconsiderate that you do not care about their feelings, and wearing the hat may be considered selfish from their point of view.

This is why I wouldn't wear a hat. However, as I personally am not bothered, I'd not make a big deal if anyone else wore a hat. At worst, I'd take the piss out of them a bit (if I knew them obviously)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does this mean that if I see a woman following me into a store I should shut the door in her face so that she can open it herself? I will have treated her as an equal and I will have observed the polite convention of closing the door behind me, surely a win-win? :unsure:
Would you shut the door on a man?

So many are missing the point. It isn't about being polite or being rude equally, it is about treating people the same.

If you would open the door for a woman then do the same for a man. If you would do the same, I do, then why make an issue of opening a door for a 'lady'. No need to differentiate. That's the point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, that's fair enough ......................................... but!
Would your wife and/or daughter think I'm doing it to be sexist/patronising or would they think I'm just trying to be polite?
Or would they think I'm just ignorant?
Genuinely the answer would depend on your age, which I don't know, and the manner it was done. I doubt it would be the last option, your replies have never come into that category ?, but it could be a combination of the first 3. Just because the intention is polite doesn't mean it isn't sexist and patronising. Good intentions don't always excuse the end result.

My wife worked in a professional industry for a while, old school stuff, and came across that combination frequently, very frequently. It grates quickly with her and when you hear the stories you soon understand why. My daughter excuses that type of situation from her grandad but anyone younger than being a grandad would be in trouble ?.

D

Deleted member 16999

So many are missing the point. It isn't about being polite or being rude equally, it is about treating people the same.

If you would open the door for a woman then do the same for a man. If you would do the same, I do, then why make an issue of opening a door for a 'lady'. No need to differentiate. That's the point.
To me it is you and others who are missing the point and making an issue of it, I’m no longer allowed to say I would open a door for a woman, because immediately it’s interpreted as me saying I only open doors for women and then that means I’m sexist. I have to clarify it by saying I’d open the door for anyone.

So, if I’m going in or out of a building:

How do I know how a woman will react to me keeping a door open for her?
Just the same how do I know how a man would react to me keeping the door open for him?

In the past it was easy to answer both, no problem, I’m just being polite.

Nowadays it’s been turned to me being a sexist by opening it for the woman and to be safe from upsetting her anyone else I need to be seen opening a door for a man so I’m not labelled, or I can ignore both.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to golf irritations..... range session at lunch today. Hitting irons really nicely, so the new positions are bedding in nicely.

The driver was another thing altogether, it was all over the place. Fortunately I don’t get the driver out until the 3rd hole, so no embarrassing crap shot off the first tee in front of people in the morning.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I might, I might not, it depends on the circumstances. Am I missing the point or are your wife and daughter missing the point by assuming my opening of the door is sexist; they don't know me, know nothing about me but they'd assume I'm sexist rather than polite?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would say that most women, certainly under the age of 50 or so would suggest they are sexist and outdated. They portray women as inferior, needing the help of a big strong man. Women are equals and should be treated as such. Women are not pathetic and feeble that need the assistance of men, why treat them as such?
If you saw a man hit a woman would you stand there and do nothing?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Genuinely the answer would depend on your age, which I don't know, and the manner it was done. I doubt it would be the last option, your replies have never come into that category ?, but it could be a combination of the first 3. Just because the intention is polite doesn't mean it isn't sexist and patronising. Good intentions don't always excuse the end result.

My wife worked in a professional industry for a while, old school stuff, and came across that combination frequently, very frequently. It grates quickly with her and when you hear the stories you soon understand why. My daughter excuses that type of situation from her grandad but anyone younger than being a grandad would be in trouble ?.

Unfortunately, I'm north of sixty! :(
Also, genuinely, I only ever do these kind of things out of politeness ......................... and will continue to do so.
I can 100% guarantee no sexism is involved, nor should it be taken.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am playing possibly the worst golf of my golfing life to date. Have been for about 6 weeks. Probably can't break 100, may be 110.

Somehow, I can always par 16, 17, and 18. Every flipping time.