Golf Random Irritations

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a county seniors match yesterday. Nine hole greensomes in the morning and my partner and me won our match with a 1 under score. Afternoon singles and I won my match on the 16th and had only dropped three shots two 3 putts and one failure to get up and down. Every other hole was a par. Today, back at my own course I couldn’t do a thing right. 27 points in a senior Stableford off the forward tees 😢

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played in a county seniors match yesterday. Nine hole greensomes in the morning and my partner and me won our match with a 1 under score. Afternoon singles and I won my match on the 16th and had only dropped three shots two 3 putts and one failure to get up and down. Every other hole was a par. Today, back at my own course I couldn’t do a thing right. 27 points in a senior Stableford off the forward tees 😢
Stupid game isn't it

Mandofred

Visit site
Roll up this morning. Drawing for teams and wouldn't you know it.....the 3 lowest handicaps are drawn together. 2 of 3 to count....80pts but we had no chance without at least one higher handicap in there to help. 92 won it....which is pretty good for 2 of 3. A guy got a hole in one.....and the Gods laugh..... his team finishes last.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Club championship at the weekend and the greens were superb

Monday they tined and sanded the greens

how often do people’s clubs do this sort of thing looking at our maintenance page they were tined 13th April , sanded on 29th April , tined on 13th May , tined on 24th June and tined on 28th July

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Rangefinder rant.

The slowest player in our circle has purchased a rangefinder. He plays off about 16 and is struggling atm, mainly due to inactivity.

He’s pinging the flag from 200 yards out and takes him a while to do this, as with everything. The shot he then hits is rarely any good.

I told him in the group chat I can no longer play with him if he’s doing that. He turned up without one yesterday and played one of the most depressing rounds I have ever witnessed, 3 points after 9.

I feel bad for airing it out but someone had to do it.

Not sure where to go from here as he is a lovely lad and I have a lot of time for him off the golf course.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Rangefinder rant.

The slowest player in our circle has purchased a rangefinder. He plays off about 16 and is struggling atm, mainly due to inactivity.

He’s pinging the flag from 200 yards out and takes him a while to do this, as with everything. The shot he then hits is rarely any good.

I told him in the group chat I can no longer play with him if he’s doing that. He turned up without one yesterday and played one of the most depressing rounds I have ever witnessed, 3 points after 9.

Not sure where to go from here as he is a lovely lad and I have a lot of time for him off the golf course.
Why not offer to “caddy” for him in one round and have a side bet of a charity donation if you can reduce X number of shots of his round.

That way he’ll see he doesn’t need to faff around to play better.🤷‍♂️

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

how often do people’s clubs do this sort of thing looking at our maintenance page they were tined 13th April , sanded on 29th April , tined on 13th May , tined on 24th June and tined on 28th July
That's the result of the maintenance work...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rangefinder rant.

Advise him to use one of the free GPS apps for your phone instead. No messing about try to steady your hand and lock into the pin, you just pull it out of your phone and glance at the yardage to middle/back of the green as you walk up, then put it away again. Much quicker than a rangefinder.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

That's what makes them superb 👌

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Away day today at a course in one of the less salubrious areas of Newcastle.

Course itself was in great condition, but no rakes in any of the bunkers.

I get that they get nicked, but if that’s the case, send groups out with a rake.

Some of the bunkers were in a right state, plenty sand but no one had made any effort to tidy them up after playing in them.

To make things worse, on 16 we eventually came across a bunker with a rake in it - it was GUR 😂

• Haha
Reactions: sjw

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Away day today at a course in one of the less salubrious areas of Newcastle.

Course itself was in great condition, but no rakes in any of the bunkers.

I get that they get nicked, but if that’s the case, send groups out with a rake.

Some of the bunkers were in a right state, plenty sand but no one had made any effort to tidy them up after playing in them.

To make things worse, on 16 we eventually came across a bunker with a rake in it - it was GUR 😂

Which club?😉

I know a couple of clubs in Newcastle with no rakes in bunkers, due to being stolen by kids from nearby housing estates.

They normally have a big tub, barrel type container, full of rakes near the shop, or walk to 1st tee

Each group normally just grabs 1 rake between them.
I don't see a problem with doing it this way tbh
Money is tight for a few clubs

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thinking I’d finally sorted my temperamental driving out, I’ve really enjoyed my golf over the past month. The occasional weak, spinny left to right which often either landed me in trouble or meant I struggled to hit greens in regulation had gone. Longish, lowish and straight, it had transformed my game and I was playing some of my best stuff for a couple of years. Had a few days off and booked some early tee offs taking advantage of the glorious weather. Lo and behold the temperamental driving has returned with a vengeance. When it does happen I’m lucky for the ball to travel 180-200 yards. So frustrating.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Advise him to use one of the free GPS apps for your phone instead. No messing about try to steady your hand and lock into the pin, you just pull it out of your phone and glance at the yardage to middle/back of the green as you walk up, then put it away again. Much quicker than a rangefinder.
I have both rangefinder and GPS, but I've been to every remote corner of our club's course so many times that at home, I need neither.
I have a friend with whom I reciprocate member guest event invitations.
Some years, that's my only round away from home.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Which club?😉

I know a couple of clubs in Newcastle with no rakes in bunkers, due to being stolen by kids from nearby housing estates.

They normally have a big tub, barrel type container, full of rakes near the shop, or walk to 1st tee

Each group normally just grabs 1 rake between them.
I don't see a problem with doing it this way tbh
Money is tight for a few clubs
Westerhope.

I’d have been happy to take a rake (have done so at the past at Newcastle United) but there was no offer of one at the pro shop, and we were totally unaware until one of the group ended up in a bunker.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Westerhope.

I’d have been happy to take a rake (have done so at the past at Newcastle United) but there was no offer of one at the pro shop, and we were totally unaware until one of the group ended up in a bunker.

Yes it was westerhope and Newcastle United I knew of👍

BTW
I'm sure they'd be really pleased to hear of your reference to it as a 'less salubrious' area of Newcastle mind......🤭🫣