Golf Random Irritations

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Partner and her friend were asked by a mens 4 ball what tee time they had.
“We have the time behind you” they replied. The men tee’d off early but by the 3rd hole the ladies had caught up and were waiting on every shot.
After the 9th hole, the ladies invited the 2 men behind them to play through while they took a comfort break.
On the 11th the 2 men were waved through by the 4 ball.
The ladies caught up with the 4 ball on the 12th……..and were held up waiting on every shot again for the rest of the round.

MACM85

Visit site
Partner and her friend were asked by a mens 4 ball what tee time they had.
“We have the time behind you” they replied. The men tee’d off early but by the 3rd hole the ladies had caught up and were waiting on every shot.
After the 9th hole, the ladies invited the 2 men behind them to play through while they took a comfort break.
On the 11th the 2 men were waved through by the 4 ball.
The ladies caught up with the 4 ball on the 12th……..and were held up waiting on every shot again for the rest of the round.

My Mrs and I go out together quite often. When I am playing with her we are never let through by the lads or old boys in front. When I play with my mate who is a member at the club as well and we catch up the same groups we are always let through straight away. Seems that when a woman is involved they feel that they can not allow that woman to play through as it damages their ego

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The irony is that women are quite often quicker than men. Because they don't hit the ball as far, they are less likely to be way off line, and hence spend a lot less time looking for balls.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The irony is that women are quite often quicker than men. Because they don't hit the ball as far, they are less likely to be way off line, and hence spend a lot less time looking for balls.
As a matter of observation this is rarely the case where I play, maybe because there are a few carries which the higher handicap ladies sometimes struggle with. Generally speaking the women are slower though there are certainly some who play quickly. Which doesn't mean I find the behaviour above acceptable. if the group is quicker and there is space in front they should be let through irrespective of gender.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes and No for this, we had a 4BBB Comp a few months back and me and my playing partner joined 2 Ladies so both us pairs could enter the Comp, our handicaps were 10 & 18, there’s were 15 & 21.

You are spot on about spending less time looking for their balls for the points you raised, they spent more time helping us.

However, their course ettiquette was awful, they had no thought about were to leave their trolleys around the green or taking their putter and a club with them if just off the green.

They also stood on the green marking cards and one time they stopped and met other ladies playing a hole going the other way to chat about how their round was going.

Obviously this is not every Ladies group and men of all ages do the same things.

We did discuss this with them as they are good friends and the fact they were competent golfers who being playing for quite a few years, they simply answered nobody had mentioned those things to them and never worry about how long a round takes them and if anyone catches them up, they let them through.

Their attitude is probably one that would benefit a lot of men taking on.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes and No for this, we had a 4BBB Comp a few months back and me and my playing partner joined 2 Ladies so both us pairs could enter the Comp, our handicaps were 10 & 18, there’s were 15 & 21.

You are spot on about spending less time looking for their balls for the points you raised, they spent more time helping us.

However, their course ettiquette was awful, they had no thought about were to leave their trolleys around the green or taking their putter and a club with them if just off the green.

They also stood on the green marking cards and one time they stopped and met other ladies playing a hole going the other way to chat about how their round was going.

Obviously this is not every Ladies group and men of all ages do the same things.

We did discuss this with them as they are good friends and the fact they were competent golfers who being playing for quite a few years, they simply answered nobody had mentioned those things to them and never worry about how long a round takes them and if anyone catches them up, they let them through.

Their attitude is probably one that would benefit a lot of men taking on.
So why even mention this?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
As a matter of observation this is rarely the case where I play, maybe because there are a few carries which the higher handicap ladies sometimes struggle with. Generally speaking the women are slower though there are certainly some who play quickly. Which doesn't mean I find the behaviour above acceptable. if the group is quicker and there is space in front they should be let through irrespective of gender.
I've never understood why some clubs seem happy to have carries too long for some of their members, even off the forward tees. What's the point of that?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Too many delicate male egos and sadly it seems to always be the more senior members in my experience
Egos (egi??) are already damages by having women up their backsides twice a hole for 7 holes. They are just pretending it is not happening.

Maybe the ladies could buy one of these and hoot everytime they are kept waiting.

1721131400755.png

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seniors Open today, format is 4 man team, best 2 scores count.

We were out reasonably early. Played pretty well for 79 points.

Got back to the clubhouse to find the first group out were winning with 89. This is off 85% of handicap!

The guys who are winning aren't members of a club, they use iGolf. 2 of the 4 won our last open (4BBB) with 48 points, again off 85%.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Got back to the clubhouse to find the first group out were winning with 89. This is off 85% of handicap!

The guys who are winning aren't members of a club, they use iGolf. 2 of the 4 won our last open (4BBB) with 48 points, again off 85%.

Sounds very fair and inclusive to me.

sunshine

Visit site

Seems reasonable. Team of 4 you'd be looking to get 5 points on every hole = 90 points.

What was the winning score in the end?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems reasonable. Team of 4 you'd be looking to get 5 points on every hole = 90 points.

What was the winning score in the end?
I don't know - would you expect to a team of 4 to get a net birdie on every hole off 85% of handicap?

I would have thought maybe every other hole would be more realistic?

I could be talking rubbish - it's the first time I've played in this type of comp, however we played at Hexham last week (4BBB), and when I looked at the results, I saw there had been a team open there in May, and the scores for the first 4 teams were 85, 85, 83 and 81.

89 is still the winning score today.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know - would you expect to a team of 4 to get a net birdie on every hole off 85% of handicap?

I could be talking rubbish - it's the first time I've played in this type of comp, however we played at Hexham last week (4BBB), and when I looked at the results, I saw there had been a team open there in May, and the scores for the first 4 teams were 85, 85, 83 and 81.

In best 2 from 4 events I've played in past.
There were regular scores of 92--96pts scored

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
In best 2 from 4 events I've played in past.
There were regular scores of 92--96pts scored
High 80's seems about right to me. But 96 does sound a bit excessive.
I played in one last year. We scored 81 and thought we'd be nowhere near the prizes, but ended up 2nd. (Winners scored 82).

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've never understood why some clubs seem happy to have carries too long for some of their members, even off the forward tees. What's the point of that?
The carries are not that far, but they appear intimidating to a higher handicap woman and quite often the tee shot is mishit.
They are actively looking at moving some of the tees but the topography of a moorland course does not make it easy.

sunshine

Visit site

Let's say 4x 20 handicappers, each player gets 17 shots. You've got to back 1 player out of 4 to make a par on every hole for 3 points. I don't play this type of competition very often, but I'd be targeting high 80s off 85% hc and 90+ off full hc.

Also I'm assuming it was 85% of playing handicap and not index.