Golf Random Irritations

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you book as a single you should expect and accept other people to book as well, this is written in our club rules and is the norm.
I suspect this irritation is more about you thinking that golf off the yellows is not real golf 🤪

If others join, surely it's up to them to fit in with whoever booked the tee time first.
I'm 100% with Asian Dawn on this and slightly surprised by those who aren't.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not all courses are like that .
Ours has a few long walks back to the tips walking past the yellow tees.
It’s where length has been added to older courses.!

My take .
Why should anyone change their golfing plans because some one else decides to join their tee time.
Why are they then moaning about it.
Just bad manners.

Yeah I remember playing a couple of (older) courses where players drop bag, grab club and hoof off into the distance, that’s kinda what gave me the thought about layout.
Although it could be said that if the club intends the change (lengthening) is to be permanent then changing the access route to next hole might well improve pace/flow etc (kinda off topic to AD’s point)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If others join, surely it's up to them to fit in with whoever booked the tee time first.
I'm 100% with Asian Dawn on this and slightly surprised by those who aren't.
Ok, I will put it another way. The seniors who joined AD probably couldn’t play off the whites due to lack of distance so chose a tee more suited to their ability- which most people on here advocate. AD could still have chosen to play yellows if he wanted but instead decided to put up with their moans and then came on here to main when he could have easily solved the problem

Mandofred

Visit site
Kind of like people hating people taking flag out/in. I leave the flag in....if someone wants it out, no problem. I don't think it makes any difference worth talking about either way.....but I'm not going to complain about someone wanting it out. A small rollup group I play with insists that they play from the whites.....I'm likely to stop playing with them just for that reason. I don't mind playing occasionally from the white, but not all of the time. I'm almost 67....the whites are getting harder and harder these days.

Mandofred

Visit site
Ok, I will put it another way. The seniors who joined AD probably couldn’t play off the whites due to lack of distance so chose a tee more suited to their ability- which most people on here advocate. AD could still have chosen to play yellows if he wanted but instead decided to put up with their moans and then came on here to main when he could have easily solved the problem
Why should he have to do that? I see the occasional group of a male/female mix. The ladies don't try to force the guy into playing off the shorter tees....they just deal with it.

Mandofred

Visit site
I’m not saying the oldies are blameless but AD could have helped the situation
Sure....and he could have bought them lunch as well. I sometimes go out early in the morning by myself (I might in the morning)...if someone joins up with me they had better be prepared to get a move on. If not, I'm leaving them in my dust and I'll let them know that.....not to be rude/not rude....that's not what I am there for. I'm there to practice certain things and purposely going out before other people so I can get around in 2.5hrs and work on a few things....and that might irritate anybody joining me as well.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure....and he could have bought them lunch as well. I sometimes go out early in the morning by myself (I might in the morning)...if someone joins up with me they had better be prepared to get a move on. If not, I'm leaving them in my dust and I'll let them know that.....not to be rude/not rude....that's not what I am there for. I'm there to practice certain things and purposely going out before other people so I can get around in 2.5hrs and work on a few things....and that might irritate anybody joining me as well.
Bit of a weird jump for your first point😃
Let’s just leave it and I will accept that I am in a minority (possibly of 1) who doesn’t get too precious about my booking and will change to accept others. Life is too short to always be moaning.

And you can quote that last line next time I post on an irritations thread 🤪

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finding my swing on the last day of golf in Belek 😢, and WHS had me playing off scratch 😳 on a course that is much more difficult than my own and I shot 3 over. Where was my usual swing for the first 6 days 😢. Back at home now after an overnight flight and I am cream crackered. 7 rounds in 7 days in 30° temperatures and drinking until 2 most nights certainly takes it out of you. Was fun and a good idea at the time though 🤣.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
The two in question then went off moaning to the club's GM. Once he found out the facts, he told them to take a hike. Why should I have to change my plans just to fit in with them when they jumped in on my tee time? And everyone in the club who heard about it agreed 100% with me as well on this one. I've given them Neilds' number so he can put up with them and do whatever they want next time he plays golf.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
AD, it's all your fault they were winging so-and-sos. You are to blame and should slap your own wrist :ROFLMAO:

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Why should he have to do that? I see the occasional group of a male/female mix. The ladies don't try to force the guy into playing off the shorter tees....they just deal with it.
I play a lot with my wife off different tees. The competitions in Langebaan are usually off whatever tee you want. No-one would even think about it being a problem.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

But why did the seniors moan about AD playing off the whites?
In my world, they're the ones at fault, 100%.

D-S

Visit site
But why did the seniors moan about AD playing off the whites?
In my world, they're the ones at fault, 100%.
Couldn't agree more. It's a sad state of affairs if players in the same tee time can't play off different tees.
My wife and I do it all the time.
Families do it all the time.
When abroad this is commonplace.
Golf is a sport for all.
Just imagine if an aspiring young Pro is paired up with you, would you have to play off the 7,400 yards Gold tees? Or would you expect him/her to play off the tees you choose?
The players who grumbled are 100% out of step with an inclusive welcoming golfing culture.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but this is nonsense. Everyone can play off the tees they want to play and be happy. There is no need for the two seniors to moan about AD playing off the tees he wants to. Taking their side on this is pretty baffling to me. If I booked a tee time and someone joined I'd have no problem, I'd have no problem with them playing the yellows, but I would have a problem with them bitching about what tees I'm playing when they have joined my tee time.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. It's a sad state of affairs if players in the same tee time can't play off different tees.
My wife and I do it all the time.
Families do it all the time.
When abroad this is commonplace.
Golf is a sport for all.
Just imagine if an aspiring young Pro is paired up with you, would you have to play off the 7,400 yards Gold tees? Or would you expect him/her to play off the tees you choose?
The players who grumbled are 100% out of step with an inclusive welcoming golfing culture.
I agree that the seniors should not have moaned but AD is also moaning and could have diffused the situation by being part of an inclusive welcoming golfing culture and offered to play off the yellows with the seniors

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Divisions for golf competitions.. really ordinary scores being rewarded with prizes just because they won their division. ( yeah that’s a direct dig at the low cappers article!)
Plus low gross scores getting bigger prizes than overall winners .. should be voluntary entry like the 2s ..

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been over a week since I emailled our pairs knockout opponents and I still haven't heard anything back. I did try and give them a nudge midweek from my work email but still nothing.
Weird, why not just reply?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been over a week since I emailled our pairs knockout opponents and I still haven't heard anything back. I did try and give them a nudge midweek from my work email but still nothing.
Weird, why not just reply?
Might have an awkward partner.. my wife would not commit or could not due to clients being indecisive. I said to her you should firm up weekend appointments at least 2 months out and if they can’t cancel them . I was getting cheesed off with my weekend being impacted by people who could not decide if they want to use the toilet or a haircut… now I just enter tell her and if a client has paid their deposit I will cancel, reluctantly 🤭