Golf Random Irritations

D-S

Visit site
I agree that the seniors should not have moaned but AD is also moaning and could have diffused the situation by being part of an inclusive welcoming golfing culture and offered to play off the yellows with the seniors
I disagree, a welcoming inclusive culture allows everyone to play off the tees that they want. Feeling obliged to play off tees you do not want to, for fear of being moaned at, is the opposite of welcoming. Live and let live, not do as suits us otherwise we will moan.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I disagree, a welcoming inclusive culture allows everyone to play off the tees that they want. Feeling obliged to play off tees you do not want to, for fear of being moaned at, is the opposite of welcoming. Live and let live, not do as suits us otherwise we will moan.
AD should have told them if they didn’t like the tees he was playing from they were welcome to find an alternate group, otherwise get on with it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing an honours board event over the weekend. Two rounds stableford. I've been struggling with a bad back and was 50/50 about playing and almost pulled out after the back going into spasm warming up but felt better with some additional stretching, deep heat and ibuprofen. Played "pat pat" golf and didn't try to hit it too hard so only 150 off the tee, nobbled it towards the green and then on. Scored 35 points with 2 blobs so there may be some merit in playing like some of our canny senior golfers. Back felt better on Sunday but I scored worse (35 vs 33 on Sunday) and more erratic. Some silly mistakes and while I couldn't catch the winner who blitzed it to win by 9 points and I should be happy with 5th overall, I was only a point of 3rd and feel I dropped so many silly shots on the back 9 of the second round.

I should be grateful as I've not practiced to protect the back and managed to get it round both days (and not suffered any issues as a result aside from pain and stiffness already there which hasn't got worse) but it is clear my short game suffered as a result. Irritated that could have been so much better and handicap could have gone down

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just finished a round at Buckingham Golf Club, can't submit my general play score, nor could my playing partner, anyone else had any problems tonight?
I was trying to use MyEG to check playing handicaps earlier, and it kicked me out. I later realised it just wanted me to login again from the first screen for some reason.

sunshine

Visit site
The two seniors who tagged themselves on to my early morning tee time this week and then spent the entire round bitching about my playing off the back tees and them having to move out of the way before playing off the yellows. And before any one asks, yes we can play off the backs whenever we want.

You are bang out of order. The seniors have priority because they have been members longer than you and they are also older. Probably been on the committee too. You should have withdrawn and let them take your slot.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had a roll up today. 2 groups of 4 where we play 3 to score on front 6, then 4 on middle 6 and 3 pin back 6. Hole 13 par 5 only 1 player had a shot and there were 2 single figure golfers. 1 point in total, par being 6. We still managed to take the money!

Mandofred

Visit site
The "cheating" that I had mentioned a few pages ago might be coming to a head. I've mumbled a few times about people in the rough giving themselves wonderful lies....and a bunch of other people have finally gotten tired of it as well. I think the only way the groups are going to solve it is to make a rule that nobody can touch their ball in the rough....I've already started playing it as it lies even if it has mud on it. I can still see people picking up their ball to "identify it" and then putting it on a better lie anyway. It really has progressed to a pandemic level with so many people doing it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The "cheating" that I had mentioned a few pages ago might be coming to a head. I've mumbled a few times about people in the rough giving themselves wonderful lies....and a bunch of other people have finally gotten tired of it as well. I think the only way the groups are going to solve it is to make a rule that nobody can touch their ball in the rough....I've already started playing it as it lies even if it has mud on it. I can still see people picking up their ball to "identify it" and then putting it on a better lie anyway. It really has progressed to a pandemic level with so many people doing it.
Had that in a medal recently. Guy picked the ball up a) without marking it and b) in a better lie so I said he couldn't do that and it was a 1 shot penalty. He wasn't happy

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What actually is the rule here if you need to identify it? Personally I tend to kind of rotate the ball without lifting it, until I can see the logo/marking, in an attempt to not improve the lie at all, but I don't know if I'm right or wrong here. Are they applying the rule technically correctly, but in your opinion, unnecessarily?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I had this with a former playing partner. used to park his trolley between him and everyone else then identified his ball and put it back in a perfect lie.

sjw

Visit site
What actually is the rule here if you need to identify it? Personally I tend to kind of rotate the ball without lifting it, until I can see the logo/marking, in an attempt to not improve the lie at all, but I don't know if I'm right or wrong here. Are they applying the rule technically correctly, but in your opinion, unnecessarily?
You can lift the ball to identify it, that's fine. You just need to be recreating the original lie.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Rule 7.3:
Lifting Ball to Identify It
If a ball might be a player’s ball but cannot be identified as it lies:
  • The player may lift the ball to identify it (including by rotating it), but:
  • The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the ball must not be cleaned more than needed to identify it (except on the putting green) (see Rule 14.1).
If the lifted ball is the player’s ball or another player’s ball, it must be replaced on its original spot (see Rule 14.2).If the player lifts their ball under this Rule when not reasonably necessary to identify it (excepton the putting green where the player may lift under Rule 13.1b), fails to mark the spot of the ball before lifting it or cleans it when not allowed, the player gets one penalty stroke.Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Placein Breach of Rule 7.3: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a.

Mandofred

Visit site
We are getting several emails today reminding people of the rules. They have also finally taken off preferred lies on the fairway for tomorrows medal. I think there must be a bunch of other people also getting tired of it....but it's been going on so long I think it's going to be hard to stomp it out. The last couple of times playing I have pretty well stopped even cleaning my ball on the fairway and just playing it as it was.....I figured they were going to tighten things up for June.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are getting several emails today reminding people of the rules. They have also finally taken off preferred lies on the fairway for tomorrows medal. I think there must be a bunch of other people also getting tired of it....but it's been going on so long I think it's going to be hard to stomp it out. The last couple of times playing I have pretty well stopped even cleaning my ball on the fairway and just playing it as it was.....I figured they were going to tighten things up for June.
My course has all bunkers as GUR today, due to the amount of rain this week. I'll be surprised if they take off preferred lies tomorrow and if so it won't be because conditions have improved. It will be down to an arbitrary date, nothing more.