Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Talking generally not specifically....and the principle is the same.
It's a massive loophole in the system that needs to be plugged
True but what can they do? You'd need humans checking and double-checking every card is legit and entered properly, and there's probably precious few people around that have the time or inclination to do that.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmm. Definition of cheating is "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage." Is the chap who just wants to get to single figures gaining an advantage? I don't think he is. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's no skin off my nose as it doesn't hurt anybody. If they were putting in cards to go up then that's completely different.
On a theoretical level, people whose handicaps are artifically low CAN affect others.
If there's lots of such people, then there will be lots of bad scores on the day, and the PCC will go up.
Which in turn will reduce everyone else's score differential, and could cause their handicaps to be reduced when they shouldn't.
That could result in a positive feedback loop where more and more players' handicaps get too low, which in turn results in more instances of PCCs higher than they should be, and so on.

Chances are that in the real world the effect would be somewhere between tiny and zero, but in principle it's an issue.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
True but what can they do? You'd need humans checking and double-checking every card is legit and entered properly, and there's probably precious few people around that have the time or inclination to do that.

Surely the way to reduce cheating and card manipulation would be to only allow competition cards to go in, but there are lots of downsides to that road.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So they're deliberately circumventing the rules.....cheating.
This is why booking systems can be so invaluable
You can see when someone has booked to play - you can see when they signed in...you can see when they enter their score....
Easy to delete scores outside the time period.
But, as I say, if people really don't seem to care then why bother with rules..just let people pick and choose.....
It does make me wonder how many rules are waived out on the course......
Almost makes me want to give up playing comps and donating my cash to holders of dodgy handicaps...
This but it takes an awful lot of admin

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You do realise that this 'selectivity of rules' is going to haunt you now. Which rules do you follow, which do you ignore etc. I'm with @Orikoru , hugely surprised by what you posted

Don’t get me wrong - it’s not something I do , but it’s not something I can police beyond but attesting someone’s card

There are many ways that people manipulate their handicap

They opened up this minefield with the app and it’s been abused since day 1

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It does need to be plugged and there is only really one way to do it - don’t allow GP scores
Correct
But that goes against everything EG and WHS wants.
The whole system is just not robust enough.
All of these issues should have been highlighted and dealt with, one way or another, before the system went live.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It does need to be plugged and there is only really one way to do it - don’t allow GP scores
Disagree. Putting a card in every game is a much stronger gauge of a current players ability rather than someone that may play the minimum number of comps per season to qualify for the board events. They are the ones that are usually playing off a higher handicap than their ability

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Disagree. Putting a card in every game is a much stronger gauge of a current players ability rather than someone that may play the minimum number of comps per season to qualify for the board events. They are the ones that are usually playing off a higher handicap than their ability
But how do you police the manipulation that is stupidly easy to do?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whenever you put a card in, including via the app, you're supposed to register your intent to do so (i.e. create the card in the app) before you tee off. And as others mentioned above, this needs to be done in the vicinity of the course to stop people doing what you tried to do. 😄
This is what I also thought. But it was the lads I played with that said put one in. I would have been happy getting 30 points the way I had been playing, but to get 40. 😁

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oh another thing. We all played off the yellows yesterday. Most of the lads normally play whites. When I took the front nine. I had to keep my mouth shut as a few of the lads have grumbled about how much easier it is. I expected coming no where again. One of the lads who said to put a card in was quite vocal about it. Drove home with a stupid grin on my face.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Oh another thing. We all played off the yellows yesterday. Most of the lads normally play whites. When I took the front nine. I had to keep my mouth shut as a few of the lads have grumbled about how much easier it is. I expected coming no where again. One of the lads who said to put a card in was quite vocal about it. Drove home with a stupid grin on my face.
And that’s one of the reasons why people use the loophole - peer pressure when someone has a good round

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We enter a card via HDID every time we play in our swindle. Only once have I forgotten to enter my score at the club after finishing the round. Fortunately (for me) the clubhouse is only 1800 yards away as the crow flies so I was able to enter the score whilst sat in my lounge. If I was that way inclined and wanted to “cheat” the system I could easily register a round right now and then complete it in 4 hours time from the comfort of my back garden whilst drinking tea and reading a book. A bit of a flaw in the system in my opinion.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We enter a card via HDID every time we play in our swindle. Only once have I forgotten to enter my score at the club after finishing the round. Fortunately (for me) the clubhouse is only 1800 yards away as the crow flies so I was able to enter the score whilst sat in my lounge. If I was that way inclined and wanted to “cheat” the system I could easily register a round right now and then complete it in 4 hours time from the comfort of my back garden whilst drinking tea and reading a book. A bit of a flaw in the system in my opinion.
Is there no score verification required on HDID as there is on the EG App?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This surprises me as you're normally such a by-the-book guy. :p I know plenty who've done it though, I guess it's a moral grey area as you're not really hurting anyone if the goal is to get yourself cut.
You might get in an open comp where someone is balloted out for being .1 higher than you so that’s not strictly true.

It’s why some opens now insist on so many comp cards.