Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Missed my club’s main open individual comp played on Sunday. Looking at the 36 hole totals I reckon I could have been in with a good shout for the nett…and might not have been that far off the gross. Frustrating as I usually play pretty well in it. But there you go.

(Reposted as incorrectly posted previously 🙄)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I had finished the round which was a decent knock. I casually said “ it’s a shame I could not record that score”, a couple of the lads said you can put it on the EG golf app as long as you get a playing partner to verify it. EG send your playing partner a email to verify. I had to shoot off and pick kids up from skool and go strawberry picking so I thought I would do it at home. Unfortunately not.

Yeah it happens a lot and you can do it ( even though aren’t supposed too ) by starting the card but you need to be within the distance of the club

It’s all about pre register etc

The idea that a handicap card means you need to say you are doing one

I have a belief that you should be able to put a card in after if you want to reward a good round ( providing you putted out etc )

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah it happens a lot and you can do it ( even though aren’t supposed too ) by starting the card but you need to be within the distance of the club

I have a belief that you should be able to put a card in after if you want to reward a good round ( providing you putted out etc )
No, you absolutely must not be allowed to cherry-pick the rounds you want in your record.
Whether it's to get a low index and massage the ego, or a high index to do some banditry, both are out of order.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
No, you absolutely must not be allowed to cherry-pick the rounds you want in your record.
Whether it's to get a low index and massage the ego, or a high index to do some banditry, both are out of order.

I agree with the principal behind it all etc

But people are already cherry picking

It’s happening anyway

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

This surprises me as you're normally such a by-the-book guy. :p I know plenty who've done it though, I guess it's a moral grey area as you're not really hurting anyone if the goal is to get yourself cut.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
This surprises me as you're normally such a by-the-book guy. :p I know plenty who've done it though, I guess it's a moral grey area as you're not really hurting anyone if the goal is to get yourself cut.

Plenty are doing it , wouldn’t surprise if over 50% or GP scores are started after the round has completed

I don’t have an issue with it tbh

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My question would be Why are they doing it?
Are they ignorant to the rules or are they just deciding they don't want to follow them?
4 years after WHS started - there shouldn't be anyone who doesn't have a basic grasp of how it works and if there are it shows a failure of clubs, counties and EG in getting the message across.
Quite frankly it's pathetic the amount of stories you hear like this....makes a mockery of having rules in the first place.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are they ignorant to the rules or are they just deciding they don't want to follow them?
4 years after WHS started - there shouldn't be anyone who doesn't have a basic grasp of how it works and if there are it shows a failure of clubs, counties and EG in getting the message across.
Quite frankly it's pathetic the amount of stories you hear like this....makes a mockery of having rules in the first place.
It's just vanity really, usually people who are desperate to get to single figures - or embarrassment at having a high handicap and feeling like a bandit.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
My brother still hasn't a clue how it works from his email this morning and he's a retired University professor 🤷‍♂️

Imurg

Visit site
It's just vanity really, usually people who are desperate to get to single figures - or embarrassment at having a high handicap and feeling like a bandit.
So they're deliberately circumventing the rules.....cheating.
This is why booking systems can be so invaluable
You can see when someone has booked to play - you can see when they signed in...you can see when they enter their score....
Easy to delete scores outside the time period.
But, as I say, if people really don't seem to care then why bother with rules..just let people pick and choose.....
It does make me wonder how many rules are waived out on the course......
Almost makes me want to give up playing comps and donating my cash to holders of dodgy handicaps...

Imurg

Visit site
My brother still hasn't a clue how it works from his email this morning and he's a retired University professor 🤷‍♂️
Even the basic concepts shouldn't be difficult to grasp,if they've been explained properly...
Signing in BEFORE a handicap round - competition or general play - isn't rocket science.......

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You can see when someone has booked to play - you can see when they signed in...you can see when they enter their score....
But, as I say, if people really don't seem to care then why bother with rules..just let people pick and choose.....
Almost makes me want to give up playing comps and donating my cash to holders of dodgy handicaps...

It’s pretty much near on impossible to stop it happening , there will be always ways around it

In fairness most of the people are doing it when they get a good round and then submit it so it’s more vanity

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm. Definition of cheating is "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage." Is the chap who just wants to get to single figures gaining an advantage? I don't think he is. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's no skin off my nose as it doesn't hurt anybody. If they were putting in cards to go up then that's completely different.

Imurg

Visit site
Hmmm. Definition of cheating is "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage." Is the chap who just wants to get to single figures gaining an advantage? I don't think he is. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's no skin off my nose as it doesn't hurt anybody. If they were putting in cards to go up then that's completely different.
So you're saying they don't do it the other way round...?
Most cheats want to win things....they'll manipulate their Index upwards if anything...especially if you pick and choose...
"That was a good round but I'm not putting that in" vs " That was a pile of poo - that's going in"...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plenty are doing it , wouldn’t surprise if over 50% or GP scores are started after the round has completed

I don’t have an issue with it tbh
You do realise that this 'selectivity of rules' is going to haunt you now. Which rules do you follow, which do you ignore etc. I'm with @Orikoru , hugely surprised by what you posted

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you're saying they don't do it the other way round...?
Most cheats want to win things....they'll manipulate their Index upwards if anything...especially if you pick and choose...
"That was a good round but I'm not putting that in" vs " That was a pile of poo - that's going in"...
Sorry - we're talking about two different things. If you put cards in after the event to get your handicap up, yes that's cheating. Initially we were talking about people who put in a good card after the round to get cut though. I don't believe the same person is doing both things because that would two polar opposite goals. :unsure:

Imurg

Visit site
Sorry - we're talking about two different things. If you put cards in after the event to get your handicap up, yes that's cheating. Initially we were talking about people who put in a good card after the round to get cut though. I don't believe the same person is doing both things because that would two polar opposite goals. :unsure:
Talking generally not specifically....and the principle is the same.
It's a massive loophole in the system that needs to be plugged