Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My brother still hasn't a clue how it works from his email this morning and he's a retired University professor 🤷‍♂️
In my experience those who complain that they haven’t a clue how it works simply haven’t really tried, and so haven’t accepted that there are bits ‘behind the scenes’ about which we don’t need to know the workings.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s pretty much near on impossible to stop it happening , there will be always ways around it

In fairness most of the people are doing it when they get a good round and then submit it so it’s more vanity
It is easy to enforce…all you need are golfing companions with integrity and honesty.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A familiar irritation topic I know, but: having a betterball match arranged for this Saturday since the end of May, then today, three days before it, one of the opponents remembers he can't make it. Now having to ask for an extension to the deadline to fit it in two weeks later. 🤦🏻‍♂️

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
A familiar irritation topic I know, but: having a betterball match arranged for this Saturday since the end of May, then today, three days before it, one of the opponents remembers he can't make it. Now having to ask for an extension to the deadline to fit it in two weeks later. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Offering to rearrange is very generous of you. Unless there is a very good reason why he can't make the arranged tee time, I'd be telling the other guy to turn up and play on his own.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Admit it, what really bothers you is the danger that a guy on his own might win. Oh, the embarrassment 😱
I actually never considered the possibility of him playing it on his own, haha. I would've just assumed we get awarded the match or something. There probably is a good chance of him beating us on his own as well since he's off 8!

NearHull

Visit site
When GP rounds were introduced, we were never happy that certifying checks and balances were absent in HDID and we still are not convinced by the recent enhancements of recording scorers. Consequently, we have never enabled GP scores on the HDID App.
If you want to put in a GP round, then use the EG App.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We already have about 3 layers of handicap. Why not introduce a further one have a competition handicap and a friendly handicap?

The former to be used in all club competitions , Opens etc. the latter for fun events like society outings balls ups etc.
For the latter you can use as many GP rounds as you like , for the former at least 90% of your qualifying rounds must be from competitive games.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
We already have about 3 layers of handicap. Why not introduce a further one have a competition handicap and a friendly handicap?

The former to be used in all club competitions , Opens etc. the latter for fun events like society outings balls ups etc.
For the latter you can use as many GP rounds as you like , for the former at least 90% of your qualifying rounds must be from competitive games.
Then we could double or triple the amount of complaints and rhetoric about the handicapping system(s) and manipulators. For example, what would the maximum allowed difference be between the two?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Then we could double or triple the amount of complaints and rhetoric about the handicapping system(s) and manipulators. For example, what would the maximum allowed difference be between the two?
There wouldn't need to be one, why should there be one?

You can manipulate both but one is a lot harder to manipulate than the other, accept that GP cards are readily manipulated and don't allow them to affect competitive play.

Alan Clifford

Visit site

That's something I've thought would be a good plan. Except I'd go for a competition handicap and an "everything" handicap. But the only problem I see is the definition of competition: Is a 9 hole roll up at your club a competition?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's something I've thought would be a good plan. Except I'd go for a competition handicap and an "everything" handicap. But the only problem I see is the definition of competition: Is a 9 hole roll up at your club a competition?
Not the way we play roll ups, there's usually a cross over between match play and stroke play and they are done for fun.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome to the world of low handicap golfers Homer. It happens all the time. 🤣
I was off 11 off the yellows for first time so thought I might have at least had a chance. As I've said on here so many times you can only do the best by your own ball and shoot as low as you can. If someone has an equally good day nothing you an do. Think I've won the roll up side bet and will get a pick up from the club for 2nd onto my pro shop account plus my 2 x 2's so more cash on the card to come so all good

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
When GP rounds were introduced, we were never happy that certifying checks and balances were absent in HDID and we still are not convinced by the recent enhancements of recording scorers. Consequently, we have never enabled GP scores on the HDID App.
If you want to put in a GP round, then use the EG App.
Same with IG, checks and balances are absent, so it’s not enabled at my club.
The EG App is not much better.
The Rules of Handicapping for acceptable scores require players to :
declare their intent,
for scores to be pre-registered,
attested by a marker,
in an authorised format of play
and submitted by midnight.
An organised competition will comply with all of these requirements, whilst the EGApp allows all of them to be circumvented for general play if the players are so minded.
It’s not a lack of knowledge that allows players to put in scores from team events or 4BBB, it’s just the fact that if they are so minded, they can. I don’t say they are cheating, they just aren’t playing by the rules, and some people think rules don’t apply to them.
It’s a shame that the authorised system of the governing body allows all these ‘loopholes’ and non-compliance, I wonder if the CEO and Board are aware, or care?