Golf Random Irritations

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The continued highlighting of Charley Hull smoking whilst playing - it was bad enough she was smoking whilst signing autographs with kids but it’s poor when social media are trying to make it out it’s cool

It’s not - it’s disgusting and it kills

Don't be such a misery.... apart from the daft price, the revolting pong and cancer, what's the problem?😉

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A recurring theme on this thread, arranging KO matches, especially pairs.

Monday just gone I had a message from one of our oppos in the next round suggesting we try and sort a date as they have some holidays coming up.

That's positive thinks I, as the match needs to be played by 22nd July so that gives us a massive 8 weeks to find a date we agree on, and I reply back the same day suggesting half a dozen dates spread across this 8 week period.

6 days later the guy replies "Is weds 24th July ok with everyone ?" 😵‍💫

My partner replies that it needs to be played by 22nd and the guy replies that because of holidays the organiser is happy to accept a date if we can all play and just let him know!

The date is no good for me though so I tell him the 6 dates I initially suggested weren't the only ones we can play and asked him for suggestions to suit them.

After a few more messages he finally replies back "if I changed some plans I could do Thursday 27th June if that helps"

So in that 8 week period (7 weeks now!) they can only play on one day, and we'll be inconveniencing them to boot!

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
The continued highlighting of Charley Hull smoking whilst playing - it was bad enough she was smoking whilst signing autographs with kids but it’s poor when social media are trying to make it out it’s cool

It’s not - it’s disgusting and it kills
If she smokes it's her choice. She has fulfilled her obligations to her fans. If you don't want a signature from a smoker don't que up to meet her.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Restricted to putting and chipping because of my back and suddenly can't make anything from 4-5 feet. Not good with club champs next weekend and greens will be even quicker. Was hoping as this is all the practice I can do until next Saturday to protect the back as much as I can it would be falling into place. Still think I can make the cut and going in with low expectations and going to just see how it goes. Off after work to try again

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Restricted to putting and chipping because of my back and suddenly can't make anything from 4-5 feet. Not good with club champs next weekend and greens will be even quicker. Was hoping as this is all the practice I can do until next Saturday to protect the back as much as I can it would be falling into place. Still think I can make the cut and going in with low expectations and going to just see how it goes. Off after work to try again

At least you have the opportunity to do that, be grateful for it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Golf Monthly publishing yet another low handicapper whinge fest about the WHS.

Almost beginning to feel like they are pushing some sort of agenda.

I'm not sure I follow his 'gripe'
Is he unhappy that players can achieve a 1 h/cap level quicker than it took him to do it under the old system?
Is he suggesting for someone to get to 1 h/cap now then they can score worse than he did :unsure:

Is it that once his 1 h/cap is achieved he might lose it in a week or two?

Does he believe a handicap should reflect only how a player performs in a comp and not any other on course performance i.e roll ups etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow his 'gripe'
Is he unhappy that players can achieve a 1 h/cap level quicker than it took him to do it under the old system?
Is he suggesting for someone to get to 1 h/cap now then they can score worse than he did :unsure:

Is it that once his 1 h/cap is achieved he might lose it in a week or two?

Does he believe a handicap should reflect only how a player performs in a comp and not any other on course performance i.e roll ups etc
All of the above I think.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this is an irritation or should be in the gladden the heart thread.

I noticed I was running out of balls so on Friday I ordered a load from Premier Lakeballs (don't judge me :cool: ) and then played on Saturday and never looked like losing a ball. No provisionals needed, cleared all the water on the course and played like a dream. How does this happen?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A players ball ended up next to mine in greenside bunker. I asked him to mark it on the side, but 3rd player was adamant it can only be marked behind the ball
My irritation was his justification for being ‘right’ was he had a copy of the rules in his bag if I wanted to check