Golf Random Irritations

MACM85

Visit site
Good old classic organising a matchplay. My Partner works away during the week so sent an email to our opposition. Asked for them to let me know what weekends they have so we can get it booked in.

They provide 3 dates, Tuesday, Tuesday and a Tuesday at 1500hrs for each day. I swear some people don't wish to compromise at all!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm playing a brand new-built course this Sunday, the Inspiration in West London. But it's occurred to me that they haven't mapped the course on my chosen distance app, Hole19, yet. I haven't played golf without the app for yardages in absolute years, I have no clue how to eyeball a distance. None of our four-ball owns a rangefinder between us. Going to be short and long of the greens on several occasions I think... :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm playing a brand new-built course this Sunday, the Inspiration in West London. But it's occurred to me that they haven't mapped the course on my chosen distance app, Hole19, yet. I haven't played golf without the app for yardages in absolute years, I have no clue how to eyeball a distance. None of our four-ball owns a rangefinder between us. Going to be short and long of the greens on several occasions I think... :ROFLMAO:
Look out for stakes, ideally at the side of the fairways, or discs running up the middle. Usually at 100, 150 and 200yds.

I haven't had to use them for years but I still look out for them on a course in a 'just in case' fear 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look out for stakes, ideally at the side of the fairways, or discs running up the middle. Usually at 100, 150 and 200yds.

I haven't had to use them for years but I still look out for them on a course in a 'just in case' fear 😄
Yeah I'll have to, but from using distance devices I know those things are wrong half the time. Or you don't know if they're to the middle or the front of the green. And when I'm between two of them I don't know if I'm 120 or 135!

D-S

Visit site
Yeah I'll have to, but from using distance devices I know those things are wrong half the time. Or you don't know if they're to the middle or the front of the green. And when I'm between two of them I don't know if I'm 120 or 135!
You'd like to think they would be fairly accurate as they must have just been put in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aim for the back one, allow for the mishit 😁. I may be speaking from experience 🤭

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Middle or front - ask in the Pro Shop or buy a course guide.
In between - find the closest one and pace of the yardage.

sunshine

Visit site
Easy solution. Walk ahead to the green to survey the green complex, then pace back the yardage to your ball. Write it down in a book as you go. Look like a pro, think like a pro, play like a pro (but annoy everyone else :ROFLMAO: )

The reality is that it is largely a pay and play course so your round will take 5 hours anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
GM have just posted a video showing this course. On their FB account.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I wouldn’t worry about it just look at the markers and guess yardages were not pros and can’t hit accurate yardages most of the time 👍

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they have fairway sprinklers then yardages may be on those.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
After smashing it last week, I was looking forward to tomorrow’s medal. That was u til the p,umber called round today and said “ I will see you about 9.30 tomorrow”. 😖
If I put it off he will be another two weeks. Story of my flippin life. Not golfing on Thursday as it’s 6th June so I have a shed load of stuff going on with RBL.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
finally retired my Mizuno tour bag this week. it was getting a bit worn and a couple of the zips keep sticking. got a new PC card bag that looks nice and has a putter well, which has always been the gripe with a putter in a tour bag. Even though the new bag is decent size i cant get half the crap used to cart around with me in it.

MACM85

Visit site
As I mentioned previously trying to get one of my matches played at I mentioned that due to work my partner can't get to the course during the week. This was the latest reply to my request of some flexibility on weekens

"We are both away this weekend and next is Father’s Day. We’re also in competitions on the Saturdays. That narrows down to just Sunday 23rd and that would need to be late afternoon. If there’s heavy rain due the failsafe is last day Sun 30th.

I can’t see the problem of being a teacher prohibits any evenings during the week. Schools close 3:30 and I’m fully aware of the marking and lesson planning but not every evening. It’s also been light until 9:30 this week so with Foresomes it should only take 2 1/2 hours so a 6 pm start would be ample."

The Saturday morning comps are an internal group of guys that play every Saturday in their own competition. Fact that they won't even miss one Saturday to get the game in always makes my me question why sign up to comps if you have no flexibility. My partner for this comp is a head teacher at a school two hours away from our course. However I presume they think he works in the local secondary school

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I mentioned previously trying to get one of my matches played at I mentioned that due to work my partner can't get to the course during the week. This was the latest reply to my request of some flexibility on weekens

We are both away this weekend and next is Father’s Day. We’re also in competitions on the Saturdays. That narrows down to just Sunday 23rd and that would need to be late afternoon. If there’s heavy rain due the failsafe is last day Sun 30th.

I can’t see the problem of being a teacher prohibits any evenings during the week. Schools close 3:30 and I’m fully aware of the marking and lesson planning but not every evening. It’s also been light until 9:30 this week so with Foresomes it should only take 2 1/2 hours so a 6 pm start would be ample.

The Saturday morning comps are an internal group of guys that play every Saturday in their own competition. Fact that they won't even miss one Saturday to get the game in always makes my me question why sign up to comps if you have no flexibility. My partner for this comp is a head teacher at a school two hours away from our course. However I presume they think he works in the local secondary school
Aren't you guilty yourself here? :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

We are both away this weekend and next is Father’s Day. We’re also in competitions on the Saturdays. That narrows down to just Sunday 23rd and that would need to be late afternoon. If there’s heavy rain due the failsafe is last day Sun 30th.

I can’t see the problem of being a teacher prohibits any evenings during the week. Schools close 3:30 and I’m fully aware of the marking and lesson planning but not every evening. It’s also been light until 9:30 this week so with Foresomes it should only take 2 1/2 hours so a 6 pm start would be ample.

This is one thing that I always question. I realise people have different priorities, but often when trying to arrange a match the other person will be like "that day is this comp, that day is another comp" etc and ruling them out. Surely you can skip one competition? It's not compulsory to play them all. The chap I played singles against ended up playing the comp in the morning and his match with me in the afternoon!

Aren't you guilty yourself here? :unsure:
I think he's missed some quotation marks out, the second and third paragraph are what the other guy said - possibly. It took me a few minutes to figure it out.