Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Removing old grip tape. Absolutely despise the task, always comes off in small patches.

Repeat 6 times and my patience was being stretched.

New grips for playing tomorrow though.

I left my new 3w at the club yesterday for a replacement grip, hoping the fella had an easier time of it than you had. Will pick it up in a couple hours to try it out
(humidity was destroying a grip that's had no use/wear)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Getting the grips off these was a pain.

09.jpg

02.JPG

60 years in their place and they were as hard as iron. Had to use the hot air gun on them just to be able to get a knife into them.
No tape underneath. A small piece of cloth covered with pitch around the top (very smelly after hot air gun) and thick glue down the shaft.
Not really that "hard" to do but very slow work. Managed to keep all the black plastic ferules in tact and they fitted back OK with the new grips.

sunshine

Visit site
My understanding is that a lot of clubs in the South West (including ours) have gone to an August renovation programme to ensure the greens recover in good time. When we had October there were quite a few winters where the greens did not recover until spring. There has been an extra 20 grammes added to my putter and a switch of balls for the past couple of weeks

Most of the clubs in my part of the world (Hertfordshire) also do maintenance in August. Lots of people go on holiday in August (e.g. I went away for 2 weeks so missed 3 weekends in a row), and then the greens are almost back to 100% at the start of September. I feel like September and October are 2 of the best months in the year for golf, courses usually look and play great.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Round these parts tining is all getting done over these two weeks
Which is a bit weird since we have year round growth, so they could do it anytime but I guess it means they'll be in good nick for the very start of tourist season coming round

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My putt on Hankley’s 6th yesterday - something like a 20ftr for a par and I couldn‘t be bothered having the flag out…I almost always have the flag out - it was my first decent putt in 13 holes. Ball hit the flagstick slap bang middle at really nice steady pace, and it bounced off the pin and stayed out.

Quite how I do not know (I think I have some idea though it‘d sound an unlikely reason…surface of green slightly overhanging the hole 🫣🤣 ). Won’t again make the same mistake with a flagstick - always out.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My putt on Hankley’s 6th yesterday - something like a 20ftr for a par and I couldn‘t be bothered having the flag out…I almost always have the flag out - it was my first decent putt in 13 holes. Ball hit the flagstick slap bang middle at really nice steady pace, and it bounced off the pin and stayed out.

Quite how I do not know (I think I have some idea though it‘d sound an unlikely reason…surface of green slightly overhanging the hole 🫣🤣 ). Won’t again make the same mistake with a flagstick - always out.

Nae Luck, although you have to wonder how any club is still using ‘bouncy’ flagsticks after near 4 yrs since rule change and a pandemic impact that meant having to leave sticks in for months

I think I'd have to hit a 20ft putt at 40ft pace to get a bounce out

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nae Luck, although you have to wonder how any club is still using ‘bouncy’ flagsticks after near 4 yrs since rule change and a pandemic impact that meant having to leave sticks in for months

I think I'd have to hit a 20ft putt at 40ft pace to get a bounce out
The flagsticks at Hankley were excellent, tapered and very narrow at the bottom. So I think @SwingsitlikeHogan must have just hit his too hard. :p

Don't mention this to @Bdill93 you'll set him off...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I seem to have lost the ability to get out of green side bunkers properly...

Went in four bunkers yesterday. One picked too clean and airmailed over the green. The other three, oo fat and left in.

Off to practice when the rain stops!!

Good luck, maybe want to take a pack of Hamlet with you just in case (y)

sjw

Visit site
I seem to have lost the ability to get out of green side bunkers properly...

Went in four bunkers yesterday. One picked too clean and airmailed over the green. The other three, too fat and left in.

Off to practice when the rain stops!!
Same story here. I don't think I've actually been in many since I got my new wedges - proper wedge wedges, not the sand wedge that came with my old iron set. I just don't think I've had really any practice.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

We actually had one of these in our group yesterday too, on the 9th I think. All of us were amazed that it didn’t drop as it hit dead centre and didn’t appear to be too fast.

The ball ended up stopping about 2 inches from the hole. Oh, and it was also done by Gareth, the guest who finished on 44 points, so his day could have been even better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson this evening at my club ( whenever I say that I visualise an elderly man in a red leather chair in a London gentlemen's club 🤣). The lessons are on an open practice area, take your own balls, collect your own balls. I was at the far end, hitting away. After 10 minutes of my lesson an individual starts walking into range picking their balls up. They clearly need the practice, they must have been slicing chips. They didn't rush, didn't put a hand up, just took their time.

Another 15 minutes later, same happens again, same person. The pro just rolled their eyes, nothing we could do. At least speed up if you are blocking everyone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson this evening at my club ( whenever I say that I visualise an elderly man in a red leather chair in a London gentlemen's club 🤣). The lessons are on an open practice area, take your own balls, collect your own balls. I was at the far end, hitting away. After 10 minutes of my lesson an individual starts walking into range picking their balls up. They clearly need the practice, they must have been slicing chips. They didn't rush, didn't put a hand up, just took their time.

Another 15 minutes later, same happens again, same person. The pro just rolled their eyes, nothing we could do. At least speed up if you are blocking everyone.
I've never once used our practise hitting area, precisely because I can't be bothered to go pick up 20 odd balls at the end. 🤣 Most I ever did was take about 5 balls and pitch to the nearest flag.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never once used our practise hitting area, precisely because I can't be bothered to go pick up 20 odd balls at the end. 🤣 Most I ever did was take about 5 balls and pitch to the nearest flag.
I used to hit 50 odd balls down our range and then go pick them up afterwards. That was about 30 years ago. Not sure I would do that now though.

oleinone

Visit site
Big regional comp here over the weekend. Whirlwind of activity tidying up the place .Irritated that it couldn't have been done sooner but at the same time happy with the result.
Different topic. Why can't players replace the flag more carefully instead of chewing up the edges of the hole?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We actually had one of these in our group yesterday too, on the 9th I think. All of us were amazed that it didn’t drop as it hit dead centre and didn’t appear to be too fast.

The ball ended up stopping about 2 inches from the hole. Oh, and it was also done by Gareth, the guest who finished on 44 points, so his day could have been even better.
Snap! The guys with me were likewise amazed what happened with mine (well maybe not that amazed that a putt of mine hadn’t dropped 🙄).