Golf Random Irritations

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Arrived at Saunton this week to see a mini tine going on.... I say mini as it wasn't a major dig up. Once rolled, they putted well.

Had a rearranged Open at Stinchcombe yesterday. Originally cancelled from April due to bad weather. They apologised for having tinned the greens 3 weeks ago. Now this was major. The ball bounced all over the place. My pp missed a putt from inside a foot as it hit a tine hole and hopped left😁😁

Also, someone tipped me off that the rough was very high, so I put a few old cheap balls in the bag. I started with one, "till I warmed up!"
Of course I got that ball all the way round!😁

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
during my last 4 rounds my driving has been awful - a big high bitch slap fade.

went to the drving range today and, as far as i know i wasn't doing anything different, i hit 90% of my drives long and straight or with a slight draw

stupid bloody game

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
during my last 4 rounds my driving has been awful - a big high bitch slap fade.

went to the drving range today and, as far as i know i wasn't doing anything different, i hit 90% of my drives long and straight or with a slight draw

stupid bloody game
Maybe you should use a range ball next time on the course. 😃

D-S

Visit site
Not really an irritation but not worth a thread on its own.

54 players competed in the first-ever iGolf Open at Woodhall Spa’s Hotchkin Course on Friday, with Leeds’ Dan Turton being crowned champion after scoring 38 points to win by just a single point.​

Shouldn’t this have been won with about 46 points or higher?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been fed up with the wind this year, with my usual fade, if it's into the wind or left-to-right I'm absolutely dead. I've been using a lower tee as well to pretty good effect - I switch from pink to white castle which is one lower if it's one of the winds I've just described. I can't avoid losing a bit of distance, but it does stop me losing it 20 yards right of the fairway. The damage is reduced quite a lot and keeps me in play.

One of the practice drills the pro gave me when I was learning draw was to practice with a 6 iron with the ball on the height of about a pink tee.
When Laura Davis wanted to hit a left to right tee shot she did away with a tee and just 'knocked up' a bit of turf with the club head.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Arrived at Saunton this week to see a mini tine going on.... I say mini as it wasn't a major dig up. Once rolled, they putted well.

Had a rearranged Open at Stinchcombe yesterday. Originally cancelled from April due to bad weather. They apologised for having tinned the greens 3 weeks ago. Now this was major. The ball bounced all over the place. My pp missed a putt from inside a foot as it hit a tine hole and hopped left😁😁

Also, someone tipped me off that the rough was very high, so I put a few old cheap balls in the bag. I started with one, "till I warmed up!"
Of course I got that ball all the way round!😁
My understanding is that a lot of clubs in the South West (including ours) have gone to an August renovation programme to ensure the greens recover in good time. When we had October there were quite a few winters where the greens did not recover until spring. There has been an extra 20 grammes added to my putter and a switch of balls for the past couple of weeks

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My club setting a maximum team handicap of 6 in our 3-man Texas scramble open :cry:

That seems unfair, I wonder why anyone would want to play in any Texas Scramble Open when it’s the easiest form in golf to manipulate a h/c. It’s a waste of time for me to enter any T/S at our club as teams that win always have one low h/c along side mid to high h/c. The last one I played in was won by a team with a 4 h/c in and his team h/c was lower than my team and I was the lowest off 17. I like the idea someone suggested of playing Florida scrambles I’ll put that to the committee

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lots of reports of 5 hour rounds at my place on Saturday for captains day raises a few irritations.

The club’s insistence on playing in 4 balls rather than 3s for big comps like this. Don’t know why, but it slows pace of play down massively. Especially given how difficult the course is playing at the minute and how windy it is.

Very few people at my place seem to want to let faster groups through, even when they have dropped off the group in front.

The comp was a stableford, yet there was a lot of high gross scores recorded. Lots of 9s 10, and 11s. Even a 16 on our 9th.

Madness
4 balls in a comp with a full course is madness. Every additional person after 2 adds at least 45 minutes by the time you add up all the time taken to play shots, look for an extra ball every now and then etc etc.
It also makes it really hard to let people through, as it takes at least 10 mins for a4 ball to get out of range.
You have my sympathy!