Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Playing in a corporate sponsored comp tomorrow, 1st prize is a spot in the DPWT pro-am in Dec

I have a sneaky suspicion it won't matter how well I score... it won't be good enough

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a 3 man team event today. One of them my regular partner, the other one someone I know really well but haven’t played with much for a few years. The other one is a speed freak and just wants to get round as fast as he can. At one point today he had putted out (two putts from 30 feet) before me and my regular partner had even stepped onto the green. On another hole I was waiting for the green to clear from 200 yards away and he was about 50 yards away from the green itching to hit is third. I’m all for ready golf but he takes it to the extreme.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Saturday stableford formatrollup HI has been cut to 5.9 (CH 7). I struggle to be competitive off my club CH of 9, off 7 I hardly need bother.

RU HI will be reset to club HI when clocks go back. Think I’ll enter the club Saturday stableford until then…to make the round worthwhile as I play enough casual golf rest of the week.

Got a bit cheesed off playing yesterday and playing 2nd had a wee fall out with one of my group (it didn’t last beyond the hole). He’d played Hoylake last week and was comparing our track with it…obviously pointing our where we were deficient - in his view. Really irks - comparing a half decent members club with an Open venue - and whinging about things.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
He’d played Hoylake last week and was comparing our track with it…obviously pointing our where we were deficient - in his view. Really irks - comparing a half decent members club with an Open venue - and whinging about things.

We've got one of those. Even worse, he's hardly played anywhere decent! Moans about everything, never attended an agm in his life.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Puzzled. Your HI was cut. So you were too competitive. Now you are correctly competitive.
No ?
well..over recent months and many rounds I‘ve won the grand total of £19 in our rollup and we get cut 0.1 for every £1 won - cumulative. Last week I won £11 for a joint 1st place with 39pts and got cut 1.1. So be it. But I struggle to knock it round in 4 for a future 39 pts as a least that is required to win. And though winning for me is most certainly not everything, it helps to have a realistic goal.

I’d be more than delighted if I could get my actual HI down to 5.9 😊

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
well..over recent months and many rounds I‘ve won the grand total of £19 in our rollup and we get cut 0.1 for every £1 won - cumulative. Last week I won £11 for a joint 1st place with 39pts and got cut 1.1. So be it. But I struggle to knock it round in 4 for a future 39 pts as a least that is required to win. And though winning for me is most certainly not everything, it helps to have a realistic goal.

I’d be more than delighted if I could get my actual HI down to 5.9 😊

What is the process for it going back up?

Most roll up handicaps I know of tend to punish quite harshly so that the money is spread around the group.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What is the process for it going back up?

Most roll up handicaps I know of tend to punish quite harshly so that the money is spread around the group.
It doesn’t until the clocks go back at end October, then it’s reset to your club HI at that point in time.

And yes…the idea is that winnings are spread around. And that’s great and I agree - but it doesn’t half make it difficult to bother when you’ve won and been cut harshly.

Plus I’d suggest that the lower guys are generally impacted more as, for instance, a 2.0 cut is harder to accommodate for the 8.0 guy than it is for the 18.0 or even more so the 28.0 guy.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It doesn’t until the clocks go back at end October, then it’s reset to your club HI at that point in time.

And yes…the idea is that winnings are spread around. And that’s great and I agree - but it doesn’t half make it difficult to bother when you’ve won and been cut harshly.

Plus I’d suggest that the lower guys are generally impacted more as, for instance, a 2.0 cut is harder to accommodate for the 8.0 guy than it is for the 18.0 or even more so the 28.0 guy.
Maybe you need to ask yourself why you are in the roll up - is it for the money or the company/laugh/fresh air/time away from the wife? Some people need to realise it is just a game and you don’t need to be winning every week

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Maybe you need to ask yourself why you are in the roll up - is it for the money or the company/laugh/fresh air/time away from the wife? Some people need to realise it is just a game and you don’t need to be winning every week
Agreed. Six months ago I started playing in our Sunday morning roll-up, betterball format. They have a max amount of shots received of 18 and at the time 85% of CH was 20, so I was playing off 2 less shots than I was entitled to. Didn’t bother me as I was just after a friendly game on a Sunday.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I do and I have. And it’s certainly not for the money, nor even is it to actually win.

I play for the friendship but I play plenty during the week just for fun and just need a round that has a little bit of a competitive edge to it, that I play with a feeling I might just pull something off. And yes off 7 I still might, but my room for error is minimal and can quickly disappear in the first four holes 🙄

And that’s why I think I might enter the club Saturday stableford most if not every week, as I can play in that at the same time as being part of the rollup. The club comp will give me the bit of comp I need - plus it’s a WHS qualifier, whilst the rollup provides the friendship and laughs that a bunch of 20-30 blokes who know each other pretty well gives.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
7 iron is meant to be the 'default' club. People say things like "just hit a nice easy 7 iron" or "amateurs should play with just a 7 iron and see how they score" etc etc. Fittings are done with a 7 iron.

I'm starting to think 7 iron is the worst club in my bag. Don't know if I'm going to get a hook, a pull, a knife or a slice at the moment. A few months after getting my new irons I got my iron play to a half decent level, but they've fallen off the wagon again. 9 iron is about the longest one I'm actually confident in.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
7 iron is meant to be the 'default' club. People say things like "just hit a nice easy 7 iron" or "amateurs should play with just a 7 iron and see how they score" etc etc. Fittings are done with a 7 iron.

I'm starting to think 7 iron is the worst club in my bag. Don't know if I'm going to get a hook, a pull, a knife or a slice at the moment. A few months after getting my new irons I got my iron play to a half decent level, but they've fallen off the wagon again. 9 iron is about the longest one I'm actually confident in.
50 or so years ago, some pros who had their own workshops, would get hold of a full set 1-SW, but leave out the 7-iron.
Adjusted the 6 and the 8 a bit and then could carry three woods.
They found that no other club out of the 15 could be so easily compensated for.
(A friend told me this)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rearranged Nett Club Championships today and a lot of us Seniors also expected it to include our inaugural Seniors Gross Club Championship but no rather than play it on the exceptional greens we had today its been played in 2 weeks time and we hollow core greens tomorrow 🤷‍♂️.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

And back in the when, the middle-C of golf clubs used phraseologically even outside pure golf use was 'a standard 5 iron shot'. Another consequence of the lofts arms race.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Got an email this morning from another golf publication with a link to the women’s open pairings.

Clicked on the link and they’re playing in 3 balls!

How is a 3 ball a pairing?
Probably just copying the US of A, as they think that's 'cool'.

The Scottish commentator, broadcasting to a non-US audience, has just told us 'he's easing off the gas'
🙁