Golf Random Irritations

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Im clearly in the minority that play golf for enjoyment, I hit the shot I want to hit, if i dont pull it off, so be it....

Cant think of anything worse than forcing myself the play the percentages every round.

No risk, no reward.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im clearly in the minority that play golf for enjoyment, I hit the shot I want to hit, if i dont pull it off, so be it....

Cant think of anything worse than forcing myself the play the percentages every round.

No risk, no reward.
But if not pulling it off means putting it in a lake or out of bounds? We're just talking about avoiding the card-wrecking mistakes here. If I can reach a green with a shot I'm comfortable with I'll always go for it.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site

No risk, no reward.
Nobody is saying it's every round, playing a practice round, stableford round or better ball with a partner, yes, maybe, go for it but single's medal comps the objective is the lowest score and sometimes being a little conservative is the best way forward.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

No risk, no reward.

I'd like to be good enough to take the risky shot more often (I did it several times last sunday on a pure practice round... none of them came off properly) so there's a good reason they're shots that for me would be called 'risky' so I generally avoid them and very much take the option of the % shot. Probably because I typically get one round a week and I'd rather it was a safe 35 pointer over a risky-shot filled 29 points, playing in 'buffer' helps keep me sane during the working week :p

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Losing a ball on the 7th today that just misses the fairway. Where do they go? The rough is only a couple of inches high too. I’d started with six straight pars and then lost a ball that should have been found. Then 1 under for remaining 11 holes. Grrrr.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Blooming bleeding SkyCaddie renewal software
It is absolutely hopeless, if the actual product wasnt so good, i'd use something else

Hate it , they have 12 months to sort it or im going to look at alternatives

Hurumph🤬

sjw

Visit site
The front wheel of my trolley falling off right before the first tee... and the wheels coming off my round after the 6th hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing qualifying rounds off our forward tees…I can’t get my head around having to play to 2 under my PH for these tees to have a differential consistent with my HI. I am OK playing to a diff of 8.1 (my current) off the back but I struggle off the yellows. A gross 81 off backs I can do fairly consistently, but not so good doing a 79 off the forwards.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Blokes giving unsolicited "advice" to women players on the course/range!

Yesterday my wife came back from golf fuming! There was a hold up on a par 3 and she and her mate were waiting on the tee. A senior bloke, playing as a single arrived on the tee before they teed off.

He then proceeded to say that he'd seem them playing the past few holes and gave them a load of waffle about how they could improve their swings. I said to her, did you tell him to clear off? Unfortunately they are too polite. Similar has happened on the range too. I don't supposed he have said that to male players on the course.

Patronising, creepy and blooming rude. Don't do it.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I still get it!!

If it’s one of those guys they will give advice to everyone, irrespective of gender. I remember being stood on the 17th, 140yd par 3. The guy, from the group in front, coming off the tee said I’d need a 5 iron. I hit a wedge to about 4 inches. He told me later, in all seriousness, I could have holed it if I’d listened to him. When I told him I’d hit wedge he called me a liar, and then mouthed off in the bar afterwards.

You’ve just got to laugh at people like that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On another note… I’ve hurt my back. Had to cancel this weekends golf and getting concerned about very big event in a couple of weeks.

No idea how I hurt it - it’s just sore. Am old now.

Just need to rest up and hope it improves.
Ouch
Don't rush it though...backs are dodgy things...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If it’s one of those guys they will give advice to everyone, irrespective of gender. I remember being stood on the 17th, 140yd par 3. The guy, from the group in front, coming off the tee said I’d need a 5 iron. I hit a wedge to about 4 inches. He told me later, in all seriousness, I could have holed it if I’d listened to him. When I told him I’d hit wedge he called me a liar, and then mouthed off in the bar afterwards.

You’ve just got to laugh at people like that.

I know what you mean, but there's a world of difference between "clubbing" and swing coaching!🤣🤣

D-S

Visit site
I'm always amazed when high handicap men consistently tell their wives, who are far better players than them, exactly where they are going wrong - it is quite embarrassing to witness, nevertheless it happens all the time. I feel sure that this 20 handicapper would dream of giving the same advice (often very wrong) to a 10 handicap man. Its almost what the term mansplaining was invented for.